The Student Room Group

AMA I live with schizophrenia and chiari malformation

AMA
I was diagnosed with chiari malformation in 2010 and had brain surgery in 2011.
I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2014. Since then I’ve been hospitalised in normal psychiatric hospitals and psychiatric intensive care hospitals. ( I didn’t even know these existed) I’ve been sectioned and hospitalised 12 times.
So yeah if you’re interested feel free to AMA and I’ll try and be as honest and frank as I can. However if your question may trigger something bad then I’ll pass.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry if it is a strange question,

Firstly, what does your day look like compared to that of someone living without schizophrenia?
Secondly, what is chiari malformation?
Original post by cazzer88
AMA
I was diagnosed with chiari malformation in 2010 and had brain surgery in 2011.
I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2014. Since then I’ve been hospitalised in normal psychiatric hospitals and psychiatric intensive care hospitals. ( I didn’t even know these existed) I’ve been sectioned and hospitalised 12 times

Are people as a whole often judging toward you about this condition or are they more accepting? Also if you don't mind me asking how old are you? You're so strong for having to deal with all this! :smile: xx
Reply 3
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Sorry if it is a strange question,

Firstly, what does your day look like compared to that of someone living without schizophrenia?
Secondly, what is chiari malformation?

My day looks pretty similar. I wake up about 7.30, take 5 tablets, go to work, take more tablets to stop anxiety and the really loud voices. I then come home and do normal stuff. The take 12 tablets before bed. Normally asleep by 9

A few things that stand out as being really different is sometimes voices and hallucinations get bad enough that I’m consumed by them. That normally going home ASAP and lying in my bed. I also can only eat my mums cooking through fear of contamination and only drink sealed bottles. I struggle to shower as again I’m afraid of contamination and same with cleaning my teeth.

I’ve had 6 suicide attempts, 3 of which ended with me in a coma on life support.

Chiari malformation is where the bottom of your brain falls out the tiny gap at the base of your skull causing headaches, double vision, balance problems and a whole load of other problems. Surgery on the brain halts the progression of symptoms but doesn’t get rid of them.

Hope I answered your questions
Reply 4
Original post by Faeeza.Ifti
Are people as a whole often judging toward you about this condition or are they more accepting? Also if you don't mind me asking how old are you? You're so strong for having to deal with all this! :smile: xx

I’ve had People think I’m gunna suddenly attack people when in reality someone with schizophrenia is more likely to be a victim of an attack rather than be the attacker. I don’t think news papers and stuff help as it makes us all seem like bad people
Im wondering if the Chairi is causing a buildup of cerebral spinal fluid in your brain, which I wonder if that then relates to the schizophrenic symptoms? Has anyone ever mentioned this to you? If so what have they said? years ago I read people with schizophrenia have enlarged ventricles, then I met a person who educated me on normal pressure hydrocephalus and dementia or mental illness type symptoms. I tend to overgeneralize information sometimes, but think it is worth looking into.

Quick Reply

Latest