The Student Room Group

Life in Nottingham (University of Nottingham and NTU)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Cow
I'd hardly call that racist.

Most staff are probably only trained to verify UK/EU/EEA documents. The staff are covering their own ass.

BRP is a UK government document, and they refused that also. But yes, I say near-racist because the whole experience just put a downer on a friend's 21st birthday. Of course they were just being very strict, but should probably improve their UK/EU document verification training...

edit: Just checked the .gov website which says 'You can use your BRP to confirm your identity'. So I'd still say they were more in the wrong than my friend :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Afuru
That's not necessarily true, I go Trent when I go on nights out I see UON people all the time, they even try to come Trent SU. OP this can happen anywhere, doesn't matter what uni, hate speech happens all the time some people are just not brave enough to do anything about it or just except it. I guarantee it's happened at UON before and any other uni, OP as long as you can stand up for yourself you're fine

We quite enjoy your SU....

but to be fully honest with you, theres a different vibe in the campus of U on N..That comes along with the more academic style school.
Reply 22
Original post by Realitysreflexx
We quite enjoy your SU....

but to be fully honest with you, theres a different vibe in the campus of U on N..That comes along with the more academic style school.

I agree
@OP im black, im an elected course rep, its totally fine U o N is super international...Also the type of kids that go to U o N on balance are just a bit more sophisticated and better travelled. (go to U of N)

In general its a very academic sort of friendly vibe.

NTU has all the problems of a typical CCC university, some people are there for the wrong reasons, some people squeaked in, there is no consensus of overall academic effort there, hence the accomodating behaviour.

Not saying NTU is all bad... its a decent mid range uni.

But please dont compare the global university to the former poly technic in terms of culture 😂😂👌
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 24
@OP im black, im an elected course rep, its totally fine U o N is super international...Also the type of kids that go to U o N on balance are just a bit more sophisticated and better travelled. (go to U of N)

In general its a very academic sort of friendly vibe.

NTU has all the problems of a typical CCC university, some people are there for the wrong reasons, some people squeaked in, there is no consensus of overall academic effort there, hence the accomodating behaviour.

Not saying NTU is all bad... its a decent mid range uni.

But please dont compare the global university to the former poly technic in terms of culture 😂😂👌

*sigh* this is where it starts, where a negative situation associated with two 'freshers' from NTU are bought to the media and now UON students are making it seem as though people who attend NTU can not compare to the people that go to UON, which is not really the point of the thread.

Look OP this can happen anywhere, from school to the workplace you can't judge 'Nottingham' based on ignorant individuals at a uni you haven't even applied to. The area is not hostile or whatever, as far as I know, people that attend both unis are happy with the area, it's filled with students and lots to do and friendly people.
Original post by Afuru
*sigh* this is where it starts, where a negative situation associated with two 'freshers' from NTU are bought to the media and now UON students are making it seem as though people who attend NTU can not compare to the people that go to UON, which is not really the point of the thread.

Look OP this can happen anywhere, from school to the workplace you can't judge 'Nottingham' based on ignorant individuals at a uni you haven't even applied to. The area is not hostile or whatever, as far as I know, people that attend both unis are happy with the area, it's filled with students and lots to do and friendly people.

It is and has always been a point of U o N students to point out that we are just that tad bit more clever and refined on balance.

You have given us the ultimate qualitative research object to portrait this with.

Lets not act like this wasnt my opinion before and OP wants to apply to the Russell group located in Nottingham and he shouldnt be deterred because this sort of behaviour simply isnt exhibited at our university.
Reply 26
It is and has always been a point of U o N students to point out that we are just that tad bit more clever and refined on balance.

You have given us the ultimate qualitative research object to portrait this with.

Lets not act like this wasnt my opinion before and OP wants to apply to the Russell group located in Nottingham and he shouldnt be deterred because this sort of behaviour simply isnt exhibited at our university.

*sigh* whatever makes you feel better
Original post by 0lut0
So I've wanted to go to University of nottingham and it was going to be my first choice university but then I find on twitter someone tweeting a video showing people in her room hall chanting racist chants like "we hate the black people". This actually happened in Nottingham Trent but this is still quite awkward now because it's still Nottingham. I'm shocked tbh and a little worried about going there now. Is nottingham a racist or hostile area? I don't even know what my mum will think if I tell her this...

https://twitter.com/rufarochisango_/status/971452205181161472 - link to the video

Hi @0lut0

We appreciate that what happened last week could be worrying for any potential student, but this was an isolated incident at NTU and is simply not tolerated. The students responsible for this have been suspended and there is an ongoing police investigation.

Nottingham is a hugely multicultural city - as are both of the universities. It would be a shame to let a single incident such as this put you off pursuing your education how you would like to.

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep
Original post by natashaaarr
I personally have not experienced any racism in Nottingham. The only thing near racism was my friend's ID being refused at a fancy restaurant because it was international. I guess they weren't used to students dining.
All the locals are used to the massive population of students, of whom are very diverse. You don't stand out being coloured. In fact I have experienced more racism in London, where people can assume youre 'unskilled'.

Thank you love xx
Original post by 0lut0
So I've wanted to go to University of nottingham and it was going to be my first choice university but then I find on twitter someone tweeting a video showing people in her room hall chanting racist chants like "we hate the black people". This actually happened in Nottingham Trent but this is still quite awkward now because it's still Nottingham. I'm shocked tbh and a little worried about going there now. Is nottingham a racist or hostile area? I don't even know what my mum will think if I tell her this...

https://twitter.com/rufarochisango_/status/971452205181161472 - link to the video

Yes, it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending