The Student Room Group

Is anyone else in the Straight-closet to their parents? I'm ashamed of liking girls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack22031994
Im quite far from your typical ‘snowflake’.

My feelings arent hurt. I just think its pathetic to say your in a Straight ‘closest’ and why would you need to hide the fact you are straight anyway???

"and why would you need to hide the fact you are straight anyway???"

why is the precise point of this thread!!!!
Original post by CollectiveSoul
"and why would you need to hide the fact you are straight anyway???"

why is the precise point of this thread!!!!

You havent actually said why though :tongue:
Original post by Jack22031994
You havent actually said why though :tongue:

1) by admitting I like girls to my family means admitting I was wrong all those years ago when i said "yuck" to girls as a 5 year old

2) by admitting I like girls to my family means admitting I have sexual thoughts which i fear would be considered a "dirty mind" by my family,

it'd be almost like your mum walking in on you masturbating but just in terms of thoughts. am I really alone on this?!
There seems to be some toxicity in this thread, primarily over the use of 'closet', but looking past that I relate very much. I think my parents know I'm straight (they'd probably disown me if I wasn't, honestly, but I am so that's not really the issue.) Maybe this comes down to having never had school 'girlfriends' or shown any interest in relationships at a young age, while my younger brother seemed to have a new one every week. This, combined with not really developing 'crushes' until probably a little later than normal and never being in a relationship a little later into teenagehood, has created (a knowingly very stupid) block for me to ever talk about relationships with them. It may also be rooted in younger siblings' 'relationships' and me thinking my parents are likely to compare theirs to what I may have, as in not taking it seriously.

Anyway, while your wording may not have been the most delicate, I do know where you're coming from. A lot of people are saying to 'grow up', but I know too well that some parents are just not really open to having discussions about that sort of thing with their kids.
1) by admitting I like girls to my family means admitting I was wrong all those years ago when i said "yuck" to girls as a 5 year old

2) by admitting I like girls to my family means admitting I have sexual thoughts which i fear would be considered a "dirty mind" by my family,

it'd be almost like your mum walking in on you masturbating but just in terms of thoughts. am I really alone on this?!

I think most boys of 5 say ‘yuck’ to girls tbh

You dont have to ‘admit’ to liking girls. Its the societal norm.

It really isnt like that but hey ho and youre in the minority, yes
Original post by bingoringo
There seems to be some toxicity in this thread, primarily over the use of 'closet', but looking past that I relate very much. I think my parents know I'm straight (they'd probably disown me if I wasn't, honestly, but I am so that's not really the issue.) Maybe this comes down to having never had school 'girlfriends' or shown any interest in relationships at a young age, while my younger brother seemed to have a new one every week. This, combined with not really developing 'crushes' until probably a little later than normal and never being in a relationship a little later into teenagehood, has created (a knowingly very stupid) block for me to ever talk about relationships with them. It may also be rooted in younger siblings' 'relationships' and me thinking my parents are likely to compare theirs to what I may have, as in not taking it seriously.

Anyway, while your wording may not have been the most delicate, I do know where you're coming from. A lot of people are saying to 'grow up', but I know too well that some parents are just not really open to having discussions about that sort of thing with their kids.

I empathise with a lot of what you say!

Except the last line: "I know too well that some parents are just not really open to having discussions about that sort of thing with their kids."

my mum would L.O.V.E. for me to bring back a girl lol
I meant like in general i'm always ashamed to admit i'm wrong. for instance I am ashamed to admit I was wrong about a political issue that I had an opinion on.

Most 5 year old boys say "yuck!" to girls. and when i became interested in them i was ashamed to admit that I had changed my mind and started to like them.

and as part of the 'innocent' image that surely everyone puts on infront of their parents, i took it to the extreme of not even wanting to admit i liked girls for that reason too, because if i did then, by extension, my parents would think i had a dirty mind etc. (only as far as is normal)

So do they think you’re gay? You’re saying they don’t know you’re attracted to girls so they’ve assumed you like boys and now you don’t know how to tell them you’re actually now straight?
Original post by cat_mac
So do they think you’re gay? You’re saying they don’t know you’re attracted to girls so they’ve assumed you like boys and now you don’t know how to tell them you’re actually now straight?

indeed, i think my dad does worry i am gay... i actually don't know what they think tbh i try to block out the thought
Reply 48
Arrange for him to walk in on you ploughing a bird.
What the hell? What happeded? Where am I?
Ugh I don't think you're that different to most people. When we get into our teenage years we start developing a sexual interest in boys/girls. Hormones spike, you discover your sexuality. Nothing to be ashamed of...
not explicitly discussing about your sex life with your parents isn't being "in the closet" it's just western culture

geez, cishets wanna be oppressed so bad...
I think this is pretty common for people who aren't socially or sexually successful. I feel like a creep for having sexual desires - a kissless virgin manchild like me has no right to have sexual urges or desires. My mam keeps saying I'll find a girl eventually and I'm trying to convince her I'm asexual because I just want her to accept that I never will.
Unless you have said otherwise I'm sure your parents will likely think you are straight. :smile:
I'm not sure why everyone is acting so confused and bemused towards the OP, his comment makes perfect sense. He's basically embarrased to have his parents see him as someone who has sexual desires. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE PEOPLE!! Get your politically correct, psuedo-intellectual nonsense out of heere, it isn't helping anything besides your already bloated ego.

OP, I know exactly what you're talking about. When I'm around my parents, I down-play my interest in girls. It's mainly because my mother is rather touchy on the subject of sexuality and my father would probably just make fun of me (in a friendly manner ofc). I just feel uncomfortable talking about in in the same way I'd feel uncomfortable swearing around my grandparents. It's perfectly normal. I'm not sure why weirdos like Jack22031994 and Kindred are making such an issue of it and suggesting you have issues or something. Ignore those virtue signalling snowflakes
Original post by artful_lounger
not explicitly discussing about your sex life with your parents isn't being "in the closet" it's just western culture

geez, cishets wanna be oppressed so bad...

If that's how you think other people think, maybe that says more about you than them. Not everyone counts their privilege points
Lmao the way you've worded this is terrible. Yes, plenty of other people aren't comfortable discussing what they're attracted to or any of their sexual exploits with their parents. Probably applies to both straights and gays. You do sound like you're hugely overthinking it though.

You're not avoiding admitting your straightness. They'll probably assume that you are straight, regardless of your 'asexual front'. Most older people don't really accept asexuality as an actual thing.

Quick Reply