The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Archon9
No, I think that we should give homeless people the means to basic education, and employ ability. This will effectively reform them and allow for them to stand on their own feet. I feel that this is a better long term solution then just giving them money, as this does not work in the long term and will not help them ultimately.

Think of it as people who are dying of thirst in Africa we can send them "emergency water" but at the end of the day when they have drunk that water they are effectively back in the same position as they were when they were at the start of the day! However if we build wells in Africa that provide people with a reliable water source they will not need to be continually given water so both sides win. The comparison was only there for perspective and was not suppose to be taken literally.

Yeah, I get that ..but the topic title is Should you give money to homeless people?

and you quoted a quote which is primarily used for starving Africans ...so does that mean the next time you see a homeless person instead of offering money you are going to personally see to it that he get's educated and becomes employable?

because I don't think so....

It's all well and good reciting quotes that sound great but in reality like 0.1% of people will stop and get that homeless man into education/a job ...because it's too much time and effort

The next time people here see a homeless man, it's a few quid or nothing.....
Reply 21
Original post by stoyfan
Look on the bright side, if they are addicted to some substance and you give them money, then for that day they don't need to resort to crime in order to fund their addiction.

Yeah, I wouldn't nessecarily give 'homeless' people any money as you don't really know if they are 'homeless' at all.

Although I do donate to homeless shelters in my local area.

There are definitely some scammers and fakes about

I've noticed over the past few years men [usually european] will go out to shopping centre's with one crutch ...and then twist one of their feet in the most awkward angles ...and then hobble along with the foot that it is fine begging in broken english for money

people see a cripple man before them who can't speak english and are more likely to take pity. They make far more than sitting there begging as an able bodied person.

Initially I was fooled by them but i've noticed at least 3 people like this [and one was a shopping centre like 40 miles away] and tbh it's a bit too coincidental........
I used to carry spare change in my pocket specifically for homeless people. There was this guy I regularly gave money to and one time I walked past him a second time and he had used his money to buy tinnies... Felt like a kick in the teeth tbh. I still give money to homeless people just because for me it's a small amount that would be lost somewhere in my bag anyway and it has the potential to go reasonably far for a homeless person. But I don't specifically carry change for it now.
Original post by ANM775
Yeah, I get that ..but the topic title is Should you give money to homeless people?

Seeing as you seem to want a concise answer no I do not think that you should give money to homeless people!

and you quoted a quote which is primarily used for starving Africans ...so does that mean the next time you see a homeless person instead of offering money you are going to personally see to it that he get's educated and becomes employable?

because I don't think so....

No it does not mean that the next time I see someone on the street who is asking for money I am going to give them money, and neither am I going to ensure that they receive an education as that is not my responsibility but that of the government and society as a whole. The quote was only for perspective and was not suppose to be taken literally I do think that you are over-analysing this a bit too much!

It's all well and good reciting quotes that sound great but in reality like 0.1% of people will stop and get that homeless man into education/a job ...because it's too much time and effort

The next time people here see a homeless man, it's a few quid or nothing.....

I do not expect every person who walks past a homeless person to personally provide them with an education as you are right, that would be too much time and effort. However I do not think that giving them "a few quid or nothing" is a valid solution to the problem (and can potentially do more harm than good) that is homelessness that is what I was hoping people would infer from my quote do you understand how this links back to the quote now?
Yes but my only problem is that some homeless people i’ve helped just ended up using the money to buy alcohol which makes them worse off.
Reply 25
Original post by Archon9
Seeing as you seem to want a concise answer no I do not think that you should give money to homeless people!

No it does not mean that the next time I see someone on the street who is asking for money I am going to give them money, and neither am I going to ensure that they receive an education as that is not my responsibility but that of the government and society as a whole. The quote was only for perspective and was not suppose to be taken literally I do think that you are over-analysing this a bit too much!

I do not expect every person who walks past a homeless person to personally provide them with an education as you are right, that would be too much time and effort. However I do not think that giving them "a few quid or nothing" is a valid solution to the problem (and can potentially do more harm than good) that is homelessness that is what I was hoping people would infer from my quote do you understand how this links back to the quote now?

I do not think giving them a few quid is going to help them to a large extent either, ..but I am being realistic here, I am not going to stop when I see a homeless person and make sure they are educated/personally see they start applying for jobs etc, that Is more work and effort that I am willing to do ...and more work and effort than 99.9% of people are willing to do.

The next best thing they can realistically expect from me as I am walking by is to drop a few quid into their hat.

and you are saying you don't think people should do that.

So that means what you're essentially saying is that instead of giving people homeless people money people should do nothing ....because they're not gonna stop and get them educated/a job ...and you yourself won't even stop and get them educated a job.

In an ideal world yes, it is much better to arm someone so they can take care of themselves rather than handouts....,but in reality ...that's much easier said than done [as I am highlighting]
Personally I wouldn't. Firstly because you have no idea what they will spend the cash on. Secondly there are professional beggars in every city and it can be hard to tell who is 'legit' - tears in their eyes could be a sign that they just know how to pull on your heart strings... I would donate to respected local charities/shelters or offer to buy someone a hot meal/drink if you want to help.
Reply 27
Original post by doodle_333
Personally I wouldn't. Firstly because you have no idea what they will spend the cash on. Secondly there are professional beggars in every city and it can be hard to tell who is 'legit' - tears in their eyes could be a sign that they just know how to pull on your heart strings... I would donate to respected local charities/shelters or offer to buy someone a hot meal/drink if you want to help.

I've heard of gypsy women making >£200 a day walking around begging in central London with a young child accompanying them.

People are more likely to give if a young child is with them....

they even train the child to say things like "please.." ..."i'm hungry..." etc too whilst they are begging...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
I've heard of gypsy women making >£200 a day walking around begging in central London with a young child accompanying them.

People are more likely to give if a young child is with them....

they even train the child to say things like "please.." ..."i'm hungry..." etc too whilst they are begging...

yep... it's horrible as they're basically taking money from genuinely needy people and causing people to stop trusting the homeless are genuine... there's a few in my city who get picked up by decent cars at the end of each day, ridiculous
Original post by stoyfan
Look on the bright side, if they are addicted to some substance and you give them money, then for that day they don't need to resort to crime in order to fund their addiction.

By all accounts, withdrawal from hard class A drugs is hell.

But the only two substances that can kill during unsupervised, non-medicated withdrawal are; benzodiazapines,... and alcohol. Alcohol is cheap, available widely, and is not only socially accepted, but socially expected. 90% of the British adult population are drinkers to various degrees.

Frankly, giving some homeless guy a few odds to go towards that days bullet of 7.5% Frosty Jacks is worth if it it stops him going into alcohol withdrawal seizures on the street, tying up an ambulance for 30 mins while admitted to A&E, cost of a CT scan for brain damage, night or three in A&E emergency department review unit.

So, chipping in some shrapnel to go towards a £3.60 bottle (1 L) of cheap, strong cider. Or cost to NHS (= taxpayer) of what £1k? £5k a night?
Wouldn't give them money but I will buy them some food or a drink and have a chat if I have time.
Reply 31
Absoloutly not.
Original post by ANM775
I do not think giving them a few quid is going to help them to a large extent either, ..but I am being realistic here, I am not going to stop when I see a homeless person and make sure they are educated/personally see they start applying for jobs etc, that Is more work and effort that I am willing to do ...and more work and effort than 99.9% of people are willing to do.

The next best thing they can realistically expect from me as I am walking by is to drop a few quid into their hat.

and you are saying you don't think people should do that.

So that means what you're essentially saying is that instead of giving people homeless people money people should do nothing ....because they're not gonna stop and get them educated/a job ...and you yourself won't even stop and get them educated a job.

In an ideal world yes, it is much better to arm someone so they can take care of themselves rather than handouts....,but in reality ...that's much easier said than done [as I am highlighting]

Charities exist to shelter homeless people, feed them and get them jobs. You can donate to the charities instead and your money will axtaullly be used to help the homeless people rather than being spent on booze and drugs.

Although many ‘homeless’ people don’t go to these shelters because they’re not actually homeless, they just make a lot of money from suckers.
Original post by doodle_333
yep... it's horrible as they're basically taking money from genuinely needy people

> implying gypsies can't be "genuinely needy people".....
Original post by 303Pharma
By all accounts, withdrawal from hard class A drugs is hell.

But the only two substances that can kill during unsupervised, non-medicated withdrawal are; benzodiazapines,... and alcohol. Alcohol is cheap, available widely, and is not only socially accepted, but socially expected. 90% of the British adult population are drinkers to various degrees.

Frankly, giving some homeless guy a few odds to go towards that days bullet of 7.5% Frosty Jacks is worth if it it stops him going into alcohol withdrawal seizures on the street, tying up an ambulance for 30 mins while admitted to A&E, cost of a CT scan for brain damage, night or three in A&E emergency department review unit.

So, chipping in some shrapnel to go towards a £3.60 bottle (1 L) of cheap, strong cider. Or cost to NHS (= taxpayer) of what £1k? £5k a night?

I know, it was meant to be a joke. I see where you are going with this one.

Even with addictions like heroin (where you will probably not die from withdrawals), people won't even try come off it without any help or medication due to the amount of pain that is involved.

Sure it may cost the NHS money, but if their addictions aren't sorted then they will either resort to crime (for funding their addiction) or even get sent to hospital for ODing.
No. Giving them money is a reason for them to stay on the streets. If you want to help then give your money and/or your time to a charity like Shelter.
Give food/water so that they can’t spend it on booze.
I like to call these people street beggers. "Have you got any change please?". Some will try to chase you and ask you twice. I once saw them swap. All they want is money not food.
I didn’t have any change for a homeless man in Manchester, but I did have a full packet of unopened salt and vinegar snack-a-jacks and handed them to him. He said ‘thanks love’ but his face looked like I had just defecated and handed it to him... so I guess beggers can be chooses, huh :laugh:
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i gave a homeless man some food once , he threw it back at began to cuss at me

kind of been put of since , but occasionally if i have some spare change and see a homeless guy i would leave it for them

this is why i’m not sure whether to give a homeless person food or monday. Sometimes they don’t even want it

Latest

Trending

Trending