The Student Room Group

how to improve in GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by idkthename
Honestly my method was going to be do past papers, find out what i got wrong, revise these topics through youtube, and then repeat.
Is that okay because i am too lazy to do anything else

That was what I did a week or so before the exam and I got As so yeah that’s probs fine😂 maybe if you want an A* you might need to put in a wee bit more effort though
Original post by adamantacademic
Hi last minute Maths advice?

you’ve heard it before, but you need to practice!
Textbook questions, past paper practice, BBC bitesize. Just make sure you are applying your skills to Qs
Go through your class notes and write down every topic you dom’t get then google it or ask a teacher to go through it. Famous last words ‘oh it won’t come up.’ Be warned, it will!
Make sure you have your basics. Learn formulas and clean up non calc skills eg long division.
Practice some more. Good luck and update me!
Which spec are you on?
Make sure you write out a plan of how to answer each question in the written exam, and time yourself so you have the technique nailed. It’s easy to spend an hour on the live evaluation alone.
Clean up acting skills and make sure you are communicating with your teacher and group! Turn up to rehearsals for gods sake!
And most importantly, enjoy it. It’s a simple enough subject and you it should be relaxing and creative.
I am on edexel for drama
Original post by dilemma_w
That was what I did a week or so before the exam and I got As so yeah that’s probs fine😂 maybe if you want an A* you might need to put in a wee bit more effort though

My idol haha, i guess a bit more effort is me starting now and not a week before?
My idol haha, i guess a bit more effort is me starting now and not a week before?

Yeah probably, I sort of ran out of time.. but if you start now and just address any problems you find when doing practice papers then you should be smashing it by may😊

Start now, do well, never do it again
Original post by sophie3_
I am on edexel for drama

It’s all transferrable across the board :smile:
Original post by Millieclatworthy
lol why don’t I plan your week for you
Monday-15 minutes learning content eg definitions
Tuesday-two 10 minute quick fire questions
Wednesday-textbook questions 5 minutes
Thursday-three 10 minute sessions content learning on flashcards eg formulas
Friday-15 minutes on textbook questions
Saturday-10 past paper Qs
Sunday- 15 mins on content
?

I am actually considering this now... thanks for taking the time :smile:
But do you mean altogether or individually e.g. individually would be 15 mins learning physics content, 15 mins learninh bio content etc.
Original post by adamantacademic
Hi last minute Maths advice?

Just keep doing practice exam questions. Thats the best way to do well in maths. Also, focus on the parts that you are weakest at.
I am actually considering this now... thanks for taking the time :smile:
But do you mean altogether or individually e.g. individually would be 15 mins learning physics content, 15 mins learninh bio content etc.

no problem! I meant altogether so you could do different sciences each day so you don’t get bored. If you have time you can do two sciences a night, or maybe at the weekend. But don’t overstretch yourself!
Just in general, how many hours do you think is a good amount to study for after school?
Original post by Fazzy_77
Just in general, how many hours do you think is a good amount to study for after school?

Personally, I like to come home and do what I want until 7 then work well from 7 to 9. If you have a test, do at least 20 minutes of revision by practice, but it really depends on your workload. Don’t study for the sake of feeling productive, do it because it helps you. I’d recommend about 30 minutes a day for homework.
You know how you have to do a monologue for drama ... does it get given to you or do you have to write it ?
Original post by sophie3_
You know how you have to do a monologue for drama ... does it get given to you or do you have to write it ?

More likely than not you write it, but it does depend. Don’t stress about it, as if you write it you control what you say.
Personally, I like to come home and do what I want until 7 then work well from 7 to 9. If you have a test, do at least 20 minutes of revision by practice, but it really depends on your workload. Don’t study for the sake of feeling productive, do it because it helps you. I’d recommend about 30 minutes a day for homework.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Fazzy_77
Thank you :smile:

Welcome x
no problem! I meant altogether so you could do different sciences each day so you don’t get bored. If you have time you can do two sciences a night, or maybe at the weekend. But don’t overstretch yourself!

Ok thanks, i will start doing this then but after i find out what im doing wrong through the practice papers
Ok thanks, i will start doing this then but after i find out what im doing wrong through the practice papers

you could do 10 past questions then mark harshly with the markscheme. Just make sure you do it instead of arsing around on here,
you could do 10 past questions then mark harshly with the markscheme. Just make sure you do it instead of arsing around on here,

Thats exactly what i was doing yesterday ho2 did yoy know lol

Quick Reply

Latest