The Student Room Group

Living independent - parents expected to support, but they won’t b

First off man your dad got screwed with this child maintenance. My mum was my primary carer giver and i Have two brothers, she was self employed with profits of a little less than 1k a year, my dad stopped paying maintenance when we turned 16, so in a way your hella lucky.

Second there really is no obligation for them to have to support you. I supported myself through 4 years of uni while also giving some money to help my mum pay her rent, i had a job and student loan. My girlfriend on the other hand came from a different country and supported herself through 5 years of uni with nothing but work and no student loan. It's not ideal but it is possible if you try hard enough, as i said before once you moved out your parents have no obligation to pay for you, especially your mums boyfriend as he's not even blood related.

Your just gonna have to be more organised and frugal and don't blame your parents.

p.s. My gf while working basically full time achieved a First and is now a PhD student, so it is possible to achieve success on minimum loan and part time work
(edited 6 years ago)

Living independent - parents expected to support, but they won’t b

First off man your dad got screwed with this child maintenance. My mum was my primary carer giver and i Have two brothers, she was self employed with profits of a little less than 1k a year, my dad stopped paying maintenance when we turned 16, so in a way your hella lucky.

Second there really is no obligation for them to have to support you. I supported myself through 4 years of uni while also giving some money to help my mum pay her rent, i had a job and student loan. My girlfriend on the other hand came from a different country and supported herself through 5 years of uni with nothing but work and no student loan. It's not ideal but it is possible if you try hard enough, as i said before once you moved out your parents have no obligation to pay for you, especially your mums boyfriend as he's not even blood related.

Your just gonna have to be more organised and frugal and don't blame your parents.

p.s. My gf while working basically full time achieved a First and is now a PhD student, so it is possible to achieve success on minimum loan and part time work
(edited 6 years ago)
I don’t blame my parents at all, don’t worry. They’re both equally amazing and still supportive despite not being able to financially support me. I’m angry at how student finance’s system is more unfair, if anything. I knew that university would be a struggle but I at least hoped my loan would cover my accommodation so I only had to panic about living and travel, but it’s not even that. I’ll always work my arse off but what happens if I can’t secure a new job in my first 3 months of moving and I end up on my arse with nothing but the option to drop out because I have nothing? I’ve seen it happen to a few of my friends and for someone who’s been working so hard for this and already works so hard to support myself in day to day life AND try to give back to my parents at times when they need it more than I do (I’m sure you understand), it’s all a terrifying prospect and I thought there would be more support.
(edited 6 years ago)
Your dad is simply lying, he stopped paying government enforced child maintenance the second you turned 16, you could apply stating that your household solely consists of your mother and yourself, as they aren't married the government would be none the wiser.
As I am under 20 and in full time education still, it’s government enforced until that changes OR I turn 20 (I think I put 21, oops).

Also, yeah, I could totally do that except my mum lives with her high-earning boyfriend and my dad and his wife are both relatively good earners.
Reply 4
Original post by fluffyslek
I don’t blame my parents at all, don’t worry. They’re both equally amazing and still supportive despite not being able to financially support me. I’m angry at how student finance’s system is more unfair, if anything. I knew that university would be a struggle but I at least hoped my loan would cover my accommodation so I only had to panic about living and travel, but it’s not even that. I’ll always work my arse off but what happens if I can’t secure a new job in my first 3 months of moving and I end up on my arse with nothing but the option to drop out because I have nothing? I’ve seen it happen to a few of my friends and for someone who’s been working so hard for this and already works so hard to support myself in day to day life AND try to give back to my parents at times when they need it more than I do (I’m sure you understand), it’s all a terrifying prospect and I thought there would be more support.

I mean yeah its a struggle. Imo if you know you're going to need a job that badly you'll be more motivated to get one, and part time work at shops , bars or restaurants is always going and again imo is hard not to get into. An unfortunately sucky part is that if you really want to do this you will have to severely reduce your social life or learn to do free things with people instead, you save a hell of a lot when you don't go out drinking and what not, something i didn't learn till my final year. As for accommodation i know that some uni's their halls are more expensive than private renting so maybe look into that. I know how it can feel when you want to help your parents with money and cant but tbh i think they would understand and would'n hold it against you as from your post it looks like you don't want to throw them into hardship by supporting you it will be the same vice versa.
Original post by TomW624
I mean yeah its a struggle. Imo if you know you're going to need a job that badly you'll be more motivated to get one, and part time work at shops , bars or restaurants is always going and again imo is hard not to get into. An unfortunately sucky part is that if you really want to do this you will have to severely reduce your social life or learn to do free things with people instead, you save a hell of a lot when you don't go out drinking and what not, something i didn't learn till my final year. As for accommodation i know that some uni's their halls are more expensive than private renting so maybe look into that. I know how it can feel when you want to help your parents with money and cant but tbh i think they would understand and would'n hold it against you as from your post it looks like you don't want to throw them into hardship by supporting you it will be the same vice versa.

Thank you Tom. It’ll be hard, but you’ve reassured me slightly nonetheless.
Reply 6
Original post by fluffyslek
Thank you Tom. It’ll be hard, but you’ve reassured me slightly nonetheless.

What are you looking to study? Some courses are easier to fit around work than others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending