The Student Room Group

Unsure what to do

I have accepted an offer at a great uni, I love the campus and the course sounds good too but I have been having my doubts. Over the winter months my mental health deteriorated and now I am worried how I will cope being two hours away from if it gets bad again.

The other uni is a good uni too, I have yet to apply and unsure if I would even get in if I were to apply. It just seems a lot to risk if I withdraw from uni A and uni B rejects me. If I were accepted into uni B I could live at home or even in accommodation but still be close to home if I needed to be there.

How do I decide what to do?!
Original post by kayleighisonfire
I have accepted an offer at a great uni, I love the campus and the course sounds good too but I have been having my doubts. Over the winter months my mental health deteriorated and now I am worried how I will cope being two hours away from if it gets bad again.

The other uni is a good uni too, I have yet to apply and unsure if I would even get in if I were to apply. It just seems a lot to risk if I withdraw from uni A and uni B rejects me. If I were accepted into uni B I could live at home or even in accommodation but still be close to home if I needed to be there.

Why do you have to withdraw one application to apply to the other. A bit more of an explanation of your application situation would help.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Why do you have to withdraw one application to apply to the other. A bit more of an explanation of your application situation would help.

I’m a current final year wanting to do a masters but we had to apply through UCAS. I formed one where I thought I would be happy but now I’m having doubts
I’m a current final year wanting to do a masters but we had to apply through UCAS. I formed one where I thought I would be happy but now I’m having doubts

It's very rare that a masters application goes through UCAS unless it's for specific courses. What course was this and again you can add courses so why do you need to withdraw from uni A?
Reply 4
It's very rare that a masters application goes through UCAS unless it's for specific courses. What course was this and again you can add courses so why do you need to withdraw from uni A?

Social Work. I can’t add as I firmed them on UCAS
Social Work. I can’t add as I firmed them on UCAS

Right this makes a bit more sense now with the additional info. Ring uni B and ask how they'd view you as an applicant. Then you will have to withdraw from uni A and go through clearing.
Reply 6
Right this makes a bit more sense now with the additional info. Ring uni B and ask how they'd view you as an applicant. Then you will have to withdraw from uni A and go through clearing.

I’m currently in contact with uni B but I wouldn’t have to go through clearing as their deadline is December 2018 for a January start
I’m currently in contact with uni B but I wouldn’t have to go through clearing as their deadline is December 2018 for a January start

Ok well then it sounds like you know what you need to do. Good luck!

Is this for a Masters OP?

It seems youd love to go to Uni B if your MH was strong enough.

If I were in your position I would.

1. Contact Uni A and see what mental health support was available.
2. Talk to your therapist and parents. People whose opinion you value.
3. Apply fr Uni B and see what you think.
4. Consider delaying for a further year and working n your MH s you are more resilient.

If I really wanted Uni A, then I would d my best to get better and strong enough so I could handle it. Be honest with yourself and if its too daunting, then it just might be Uni B. Just realise you can always go later and maybe your MH should be your priority for now, so you can fully enjoy either Uni A or B when you get there.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Is this for a Masters OP?

It seems youd love to go to Uni B if your MH was strong enough.

If I were in your position I would.

1. Contact Uni A and see what mental health support was available.
2. Talk to your therapist and parents. People whose opinion you value.
3. Apply fr Uni B and see what you think.
4. Consider delaying for a further year and working n your MH s you are more resilient.

If I really wanted Uni A, then I would d my best to get better and strong enough so I could handle it. Be honest with yourself and if its too daunting, then it just might be Uni B. Just realise you can always go later and maybe your MH should be your priority for now, so you can fully enjoy either Uni A or B when you get there.

Yeah for a masters. I've spoken to my parents and they said to go for the choice that would make me the happiest and would be the best for my health.

After looking more into he course at B I do not meet the entry criteria so it would have to be a different uni which isn't so well regarded.
Do you have to rush in? Do you have a history of serious MH ? Is it anxiety/ depression/ homesickness or something more serious?
Take a gap, get more resilient plus some more experience, then go the following year.

Quick Reply

Latest