The Student Room Group

I avoid using the kitchen the same time as my housemates...anyone else?

I don’t like using the kitchen at the same time as my housemates, often i’ll wait until they’ve left so i can use it. Today i was cooking and my housemate came back and he started cooking as well, it felt a bit awkward because i feel like they’re judging the way i cook? I know this is very odd behaviour but i was wondering if anyone felt the same? Because of this i tend to batch cook things so i don’t have to spend as long in the kitchen on other days and run into my housemates while i’m making food.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's perfectly normal.
Reply 2
Original post by Irman.g
It's perfectly normal.

yay lol
Reply 3
It’s not the conversing i have a problem with, i love talking to my housemates but when i’m cooking i just hope they don’t walk in, i don’t really like cooking in front of others.
I do that at times, but I over-think everything. Sometimes I'm starving, so I'll have to go in the kitchen when they're in there, as I walk there I utter how I'm going to say hello and smile a few times over, but no, that doesn't go to plan, so I avoid eye contact until someone initiates a greeting and then I utter a nervous hey, then think about that whilst I'm cooking and how bad I feel that I couldn't get that right. Many times, whatever I had in mind I just abort and go back to my room and sleep until there's a convenient time to go back in the kitchen. If I do continue cooking while someone is in there I just stay silent, because some make me feel really awkward, because they think ill of me because I ignore them, sometimes out of the blue, so it makes it even harder. I have had feelings about people judging the way I cook, but lately that fear has been reduced, because my cooking is pretty good ngl. The blinds were broken for a few weeks, so about 4cm of window was showing and I also feared that people in the other building were judging me, so I faced away from the windows whenever I went into the kitchen. It's sad really...

So, to answer your question,yes, I have felt the same.
Go all gordon ramsay on them
Original post by Anonymous
I don’t like using the kitchen at the same time as my housemates, often i’ll wait until they’ve left so i can use it. Today i was cooking and my housemate came back and he started cooking as well, it felt a bit awkward because i feel like they’re judging the way i cook? I know this is very odd behaviour but i was wondering if anyone felt the same? Because of this i tend to batch cook things so i don’t have to spend as long in the kitchen on other days and run into my housemates while i’m making food.

Haha jesus this is word for word me. I've never liked people watching me cook, I get really self conscious so I just resort to the quickest meals possible (ready meals, takeaways, things to put in the oven). I'm weirdly like this at home as well because my mum's laptop faces the kitchen so she is always watching me. I actually love cooking though and whenever I'm home alone I whip up all sorts of extravagant sh*t.
My kitchen in my student house this year is really small as well and there's only really enough space for one person to comfortably cook. So if I'm making something and someone comes in to prepare something, I feel really claustrophobic.
I also don't really like when I've just finished cooking and all I want to do is go to my room and watch tv, but then a housemate comes in the kitchen and I feel like I have to chat to them. I just want to go upstairs straight away and enjoy my hot food. With a couple of my housemates we can just say 'hi' and it's fine and we get on with our stuff, but with my closest housemates, I actually make more of an effort to avoid them because I know that conversation is expected.
One of my housemates also always has her boyfriend over and they cook together so I end up avoiding the kitchen for hours. During exam/deadline season I have so many takeaways just because I don't want my time to get wasted by having to politely converse with housemates. I know I should just say 'I should get back to my work' but I find it really hard, and often I'll say it and then they'll ask another question before I go and then I have to say it again.
Reply 7

I did that and ended up moving to a studio after a few months because I got sick of it.

I'm not even at uni yet and I know this is something I will do lmao
Original post by rickyrossman
Go all gordon ramsay on those muddafukkas.

Please do something about your avatar
It's ugly af
Original post by NotNotBatman
I do that at times, but I over-think everything. Sometimes I'm starving, so I'll have to go in the kitchen when they're in there, as I walk there I utter how I'm going to say hello and smile a few times over, but no, that doesn't go to plan, so I avoid eye contact until someone initiates a greeting and then I utter a nervous hey, then think about that whilst I'm cooking and how bad I feel that I couldn't get that right. Many times, whatever I had in mind I just abort and go back to my room and sleep until there's a convenient time to go back in the kitchen. If I do continue cooking while someone is in there I just stay silent, because some make me feel really awkward, because they think ill of me because I ignore them, sometimes out of the blue, so it makes it even harder. I have had feelings about people judging the way I cook, but lately that fear has been reduced, because my cooking is pretty good ngl. The blinds were broken for a few weeks, so about 4cm of window was showing and I also feared that people in the other building were judging me, so I faced away from the windows whenever I went into the kitchen. It's sad really...

So, to answer your question,yes, I have felt the same.

it’s a pain being like this isn’t it? i just wish i could go into the kitchen not worryining what my housemates will think about the way i cook.
Haha jesus this is word for word me. I've never liked people watching me cook, I get really self conscious so I just resort to the quickest meals possible (ready meals, takeaways, things to put in the oven). I'm weirdly like this at home as well because my mum's laptop faces the kitchen so she is always watching me. I actually love cooking though and whenever I'm home alone I whip up all sorts of extravagant sh*t.
My kitchen in my student house this year is really small as well and there's only really enough space for one person to comfortably cook. So if I'm making something and someone comes in to prepare something, I feel really claustrophobic.
I also don't really like when I've just finished cooking and all I want to do is go to my room and watch tv, but then a housemate comes in the kitchen and I feel like I have to chat to them. I just want to go upstairs straight away and enjoy my hot food. With a couple of my housemates we can just say 'hi' and it's fine and we get on with our stuff, but with my closest housemates, I actually make more of an effort to avoid them because I know that conversation is expected.
One of my housemates also always has her boyfriend over and they cook together so I end up avoiding the kitchen for hours. During exam/deadline season I have so many takeaways just because I don't want my time to get wasted by having to politely converse with housemates. I know I should just say 'I should get back to my work' but I find it really hard, and often I'll say it and then they'll ask another question before I go and then I have to say it again.

It’s nice to know i’m not the only one haha. Yeah my housemates bring their friends around and i always end up waiting until they leave so i can make some food. Most likely if i walk into the kitchen while they’re downstairs they will have heard me come down and then come into the kitchen and have a conversation with me....ugh....like please just let me cook in peace!! But you should try batch cooking things and then freezing them during exam time if you don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen :smile:
Original post by Bio 7
I did that and ended up moving to a studio after a few months because I got sick of it.

i’d move to a studio but they’re quite expensive :frown:
Original post by Kyber Ninja
I'm not even at uni yet and I know this is something I will do lmao

lmao it’s the worst, be prepared to have dinner at like 1am
Reply 14
i’d move to a studio but they’re quite expensive :frown:

Yeah it was a slight issue but I was fortunate enough with my situation. I suppose it isn't great to run away from problems but sometimes it works out.
Yea, I did this in my first year which is why now I live in a studio. You may want to start speaking to them though. They probably aren't that bad.
Yeah I don't like sharing kitchen space either and I'm long out of uni. Less about the cooking, just feels like you're getting in each other's way. Perfectly normal
I spent two years living with someone and only once saw them eating.
yall socially awkward if you cant even say hello first
it’s a pain being like this isn’t it? i just wish i could go into the kitchen not worryining what my housemates will think about the way i cook.

It is very annoying, i just wish i could stop over thinking.

Latest

Trending

Trending