The Student Room Group

Is it impossible nowadays to make/maintain friends without the use if social media?

What are your thoughts on this?

I personally do think in today’s world if you deleted all of your social media you could still make friends but maintaining them would be near impossible since everyone uses social media to get in touch and arrange gatherings/events and without it you’re going to be forgotten about/crowded out.

I think it’s very sad that it’s getting so hard to make true friendships without have a screen to hide behind when communicating.
I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other big social media site and I have no problem staying in touch with people that I know as long as I have their phone numbers or their email address.
I mean I managed without a mobile and without any spcial media, you find out your real true friends this way.
Do you mind me asking whether you’ve known these people for a long time though - i.e. since you were young kids?
Do you see them quite regularly though through school/uni/work or through any activities you partake in?
Original post by iBMRjS
Do you mind me asking whether you’ve known these people for a long time though - i.e. since you were young kids?

No, the longest person I've stayed in contact with is a friend I met at college. I choose not to stay in contact with friends from school and before as our life paths became too divergent to relate to one another properly
Reply 6
I was dating a girl for years who I didn't have on social media. Never once had trouble arranging to meet up or keep in touch, even when we were in different countries.
That’s very interesting, do your friends also not use social media? If they do, do you ever feel any fear that they may decide to go somewhere/ do something without you knowing?
Original post by iBMRjS
Do you see them quite regularly though through school/uni/work or through any activities you partake in?

Initially yes then we went our separate ways. At which point I was really busy and could hardly make the time. We saw each other on occasion, and now as we're more free we're trying to increase it, except our timings and commitments get in the way a lot.
Original post by Dheorl
I was dating a girl for years who I didn't have on social media. Never once had trouble arranging to meet up or keep in touch, even when we were in different countries.

Did you both have social media at the time though but you chose not to interact via it?
Original post by iBMRjS
That’s very interesting, do your friends also not use social media? If they do, do you ever feel any fear that they may decide to go somewhere/ do something without you knowing?

No they all use social media to some extent. I'm hardly bothered if they choose to do something or go somewhere without me as I'm naturally quite a busy person anyway. If they want to see me they usually get in contact anyway
Reply 11
Original post by iBMRjS
Did you both have social media at the time though but you chose not to interact via it?

We both had it, but neither of us used it much.
This is so true.
Do you ever feel social media use would bring you closer together or do you feel you’re as close as you can get to them?
Original post by iBMRjS
Do you ever feel social media use would bring you closer together or do you feel you’re as close as you can get to them?

I don't think it would impact on the close-ness. There's a certain fake-ness tied in with all the social media, the real thing is always in person. I'll admit sometimes I do think it would be bring us closer but generally they fill me in on anything I miss out on.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by iBMRjS
What are your thoughts on this?

I personally do think in today’s world if you deleted all of your social media you could still make friends but maintaining them would be near impossible since everyone uses social media to get in touch and arrange gatherings/events and without it you’re going to be forgotten about/crowded out.

I think it’s very sad that it’s getting so hard to make true friendships without have a screen to hide behind when communicating.

I only joined Facebook last June, and before that it was difficult making plans. All my friends were in a group chat, so whatever they had arranged then had to be re-told to me via text and what I said was relayed to them. They used Facebook Messenger and took a lot of persuading to get a Whatsapp group chat (why it was so hard to do that I will never know). There was one occasion where I was working late a few years ago, and when I finished work I had 22 missed calls and 56 texts asking where I was. I replied like "um, what are you talking about?". Turns out they had arranged a film / bowling night and forgotten to tell me, everyone thinking someone else had told me. I wouldn't have been able to come anyway because of work but it still sucked to be forgotten about. Since getting Facebook though it is so much easier to keep in touch with people.
I totally agree with you on the fakeness of people on social media; I hate social media and it sometimes so cringe watching people put up an act or put constantly put up vain selfies etc etc

But I feel like I have to be on social media basically because of fear of missing out. I’m not really too close with anyone so when something I am interested in is being arranged I’m likely to be forgotten about and it’s only since I’m on social media I know of these things.

If I ruled the world I’d ban social media for everyone then we could all be friends and do stuff actually in person face to face... it’s sad what’s happened to this world
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by iBMRjS
I totally agree with you on the fakeness of people on social media; I hate social media and it sometimes so cringe watching people put up an act or put constantly put up vain selfies etc etc

But I feel like I have to be on social media basically because of fear of missing out. I’m not really too close with anyone so when something I am interested in is being arranged I’m likely to be forgotten about and it’s only since I’m on social media I know of these things.

If I rules the world I’d ban social media for everyone then we could all be friends and do stuff actually in person face to face... it’s sad what’s happened to this world

I don't really do social events much, only with my said few. So I can get away with not being on social media. I think age comes into it too, teens probably need it more or they'll be on their lonesome. And the type of person you are as well.
It has it's good bits, that can't be denied either.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending