The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship [2018]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charlsmith170
Thank you!
It was about 10 minutes after I submitted, then another email 5 minutes later to confirm my assessment centre time and date. Its the first time I have applied and looking at other comments it seems its unusual to have heard so quickly so I'm not sure how I've been so lucky! Good luck to everyone hopefully will see you all there 😊

Hi, congrats on passing the tests! Good luck in the assessment centre! Any tips for the tests and the situational questions please? Thank you!
Original post by AlishaS786
Hi, congrats on passing the tests! Good luck in the assessment centre! Any tips for the tests and the situational questions please? Thank you!

Thank you! all I would say is with the tests go as quickly as you can but don't worry too much if you don't complete them, I had 4 questions I didn't answer with the maths one! Brush up on multiplying/dividing decimals and negative numbers.

For the situational I'd advise to have a quick read of the EO level in the CS competency framework, just to give you an idea of what they expect from you at this level, then I usually try to work out what competency the question is related to and cross reference the most accurate option to what the effective behaviour is (takes a while but luckily it isn't timed!)

Hope some of this helps, Best of luck to you! 😁
Reply 82
Hey guys,
I applied for this last year and I'm currently on the Digital, Data and Technology scheme based in London. More than happy to answer any questions you may have about the process/current job role etc.
Reply 83
Hi Kohkoh - I have recently just submitted my online test and awaiting feedback. Don’t feel very positive as ran out of time on both tests!My first choice is Digital and data, could you explain what the day to day work would be and what the end result of your current project is?How’s progression looking for you at the end of the scheme?Thanks again!
Original post by kohkoh
Hey guys,
I applied for this last year and I'm currently on the Digital, Data and Technology scheme based in London. More than happy to answer any questions you may have about the process/current job role etc.

Hi, although I haven’t applied to the Technology scheme, I’d love to know what your experience was like when you first joined your team. Was it easy to adapt? And what was it like to be an apprentice in an organisation where the majority of people aren’t-did you feel welcomed regardless? Oh, and how long did it take for you to get the results of your online tests back? Sorry for all the questions - thank you ☺️
Reply 85
Original post by Flyme2
Hi Kohkoh - I have recently just submitted my online test and awaiting feedback. Don’t feel very positive as ran out of time on both tests!My first choice is Digital and data, could you explain what the day to day work would be and what the end result of your current project is?How’s progression looking for you at the end of the scheme?Thanks again!

Don't worry about time. I remember the first test I didn't even realise I was being timed so I was taking it very leisurely. I don't think they're designed for you to finish, rather to see how far you can get.
Awesome, there are a few different job roles you can get, for example: Data Analyst, Software Tester, Software Developer.
I'm a Software Developer. My working week is based on 'flexi-time', so I have to work 37 hours in the week but I can work those however I want (to an extent) I also get the option to work from home twice a week if I choose.
I've been in post about 2 months now and I've obviously still A LOT to learn. We're working on a pretty simple web app at the moment so most of my time is working on that, learning code and implementing it. We have a little team of apprentices so we've all taken on different sections of that.

As for the Apprenticeship side, I've had very limited contact from QA (the Governing body) but I will be chasing that up very soon.

At the end of the Scheme we're guaranteed a job. That goes for everyone in any scheme. Assuming you pass the 9-month probation (which I assume you will provided you don't do anything catastrophically dumb) then you're pretty set within the Civil Service. You may move teams but there's definitely a job at the end of it.

I don't think I'll progress onto the Fast Stream because it doesn't really suit what I'm looking for, before I started that was my plan but now I'm here my opinion on that has changed. It's a great scheme, just not for me.

Good Luck with your results.

Original post by GladstonianLib
Hi, although I haven’t applied to the Technology scheme, I’d love to know what your experience was like when you first joined your team. Was it easy to adapt? And what was it like to be an apprentice in an organisation where the majority of people aren’t-did you feel welcomed regardless? Oh, and how long did it take for you to get the results of your online tests back? Sorry for all the questions - thank you ☺️

Super easy, my team was great. In fact the whole department is great. Everyone has been super welcoming, and I feel like I can talk to anyone in the office, there's no visible hierarchy or prejudice on how you got there, whether apprentice or not.
Even the Top Bosses have been really friendly and welcoming, I wouldn't have a problem with engaging with them out of the blue and I'm sure (assuming they're not too busy) they would welcome it.

Long.

All I can say is, have patience. I honestly can't remember exact dates or times but what I would say is do not expect to be in a role within 10 months. If you are, bonus!

Hope I've answered the questions the two of you had. If you've any follow ups, or anyone has any more - go ahead!
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks a lot Kohkoh! It really helps having someone with experience reply to questions☺️
Original post by kohkoh
Hey guys,

How long did it take you to hear back after the first online assessment? Was it the full 8 weeks? And also, are you struggling with the workload at all?
Reply 88
Original post by elroberts
How long did it take you to hear back after the first online assessment? Was it the full 8 weeks? And also, are you struggling with the workload at all?

I've just checked, here are some dates:

Online test completed: 29/03/17
Online test results: 06/04/17
Assessment Day: 02/05/17
Assessment Day Results: 14/06/17

As for the workload, I'm not at the moment; I have a good level of work. Speaking to other Apprentices, it seems a real mix. Some people are bored because they've not much to do whereas some others are pretty hectic. It totally depends on where you are.
(edited 6 years ago)
You got your results pretty quickly then. It's been a week and half for me, still waiting.
Reply 90
Original post by kohkoh
Don't worry about time. I remember the first test I didn't even realise I was being timed so I was taking it very leisurely. I don't think they're designed for you to finish, rather to see how far you can get.
Awesome, there are a few different job roles you can get, for example: Data Analyst, Software Tester, Software Developer.
I'm a Software Developer. My working week is based on 'flexi-time', so I have to work 37 hours in the week but I can work those however I want (to an extent) I also get the option to work from home twice a week if I choose.
I've been in post about 2 months now and I've obviously still A LOT to learn. We're working on a pretty simple web app at the moment so most of my time is working on that, learning code and implementing it. We have a little team of apprentices so we've all taken on different sections of that.

As for the Apprenticeship side, I've had very limited contact from QA (the Governing body) but I will be chasing that up very soon.

At the end of the Scheme we're guaranteed a job. That goes for everyone in any scheme. Assuming you pass the 9-month probation (which I assume you will provided you don't do anything catastrophically dumb) then you're pretty set within the Civil Service. You may move teams but there's definitely a job at the end of it.

I don't think I'll progress onto the Fast Stream because it doesn't really suit what I'm looking for, before I started that was my plan but now I'm here my opinion on that has changed. It's a great scheme, just not for me.

Good Luck with your results.

Super easy, my team was great. In fact the whole department is great. Everyone has been super welcoming, and I feel like I can talk to anyone in the office, there's no visible hierarchy or prejudice on how you got there, whether apprentice or not.
Even the Top Bosses have been really friendly and welcoming, I wouldn't have a problem with engaging with them out of the blue and I'm sure (assuming they're not too busy) they would welcome it.

Long.

All I can say is, have patience. I honestly can't remember exact dates or times but what I would say is do not expect to be in a role within 10 months. If you are, bonus!

Hope I've answered the questions the two of you had. If you've any follow ups, or anyone has any more - go ahead!

That’s really great feedback thanks! I may be jumping the gun slightly but could you let us know how your assessment day was set out? The part I’m most worried about would be the written section, what do you have to write? Is it with pen and paper or can you type it?
Thanks
Reply 91
I've applied for fiance in London the technology i applied and completed the tests on the 2nd of march and still haven't heard back yet.
My friend from school got in and he got average on verbal and situational tests and above average on numerical reasoning tests so he got in
Bit annoyed that i haven't heard back yet that may mean that i haven't got in but fingers crossed also applied for delloite and Capgemini
Reply 92
Original post by Flyme2
That’s really great feedback thanks! I may be jumping the gun slightly but could you let us know how your assessment day was set out? The part I’m most worried about would be the written section, what do you have to write? Is it with pen and paper or can you type it?
Thanks

Sure. It was split into three sections, a written test (which was pen&paper) an interview and a group exercise.

For the written test we were given information and had to write an email reply to someone who was complaining and then an email to our manager explaining what we had wrote and why.

Then in the group stage we were all given some information and had to bring it to the group with pros/cons, what we thought was the best option and discuss them together.

Then the interview which was a standard job interview - look at the core values and have suitable answers that highlight when you’ve shown them.

Sorry I’m being purposefully vague in some of my answers, I’m sure I signed something to say I wouldn’t disclose too much!
Reply 93
Original post by kohkoh
Sure. It was split into three sections, a written test (which was pen&paper) an interview and a group exercise.

For the written test we were given information and had to write an email reply to someone who was complaining and then an email to our manager explaining what we had wrote and why.

Then in the group stage we were all given some information and had to bring it to the group with pros/cons, what we thought was the best option and discuss them together.

Then the interview which was a standard job interview - look at the core values and have suitable answers that highlight when you’ve shown them.

Sorry I’m being purposefully vague in some of my answers, I’m sure I signed something to say I wouldn’t disclose too much!

No need to apologise that’s ecaxtly what I wanted to know! I only ask about them writing as I’m such a slow writer I feel like I’d run out of time.

Appreciate all you feedback and insight, not just for me to pass the initlal tests!
Reply 94
Original post by Flyme2
No need to apologise that’s ecaxtly what I wanted to know! I only ask about them writing as I’m such a slow writer I feel like I’d run out of time.

Appreciate all you feedback and insight, not just for me to pass the initlal tests!

What I would suggest is manage your time. As you know you’re a slow writer perhaps condense and ensure you complete both tasks. I didn’t quite finish my second lettter so don’t worry too much.

Good luck with your results 🤞
I applied last Monday and got a response today for the assessment centre on 9th of April in Newcastle
Reply 96
Original post by Lilybelle245
I applied last Monday and got a response today for the assessment centre on 9th of April in Newcastle

Nice! That was really quick compared to some of the stories on the last thread!

What have you chosen for your options? I applied last Thursday but have had no feedback as of yet. I think I messed up on the situational questions at the end, how did you find them?
Original post by Lilybelle245

Congratulations..... what time did you hear back? I applied last Monday night so hoping I hear back soon. What areas and schemes?
Applied on the 05/03, received an assessment centre invite this morning for the 09/04. Good luck people!
Original post by Flyme2
Nice! That was really quick compared to some of the stories on the last thread!

What have you chosen for your options? I applied last Thursday but have had no feedback as of yet. I think I messed up on the situational questions at the end, how did you find them?

Thank you!!! I applied for business, commercial, policy and project development in Salford, Manchester, Liverpool, Bootle and Netherton. I received my first email midday confirming I had passed and then another shortly after asking me to confirm I could make it to the assessment centre for the 9th April.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending