The Student Room Group

Differentiation help

Can someone differentiate  21/2x3/2\ 2^{-1/2} * x^{3/2} with workings please! cheerio
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ᒍack
Can someone differentiate  21/2x3/2\ 2^{1/2} * x^{3/2} with workings please! cheerio

What have you done so far? We're not allowed to provide answers. Assuming that the 20.52^{0.5} is just a prefactor, this should be quite straightforward.
Original post by ᒍack
Can someone differentiate  21/2x3/2\ 2^{1/2} * x^{3/2} with workings please! cheerio

You try it and we'll help - we don't do questions for you.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
You try it and we'll help - we don't do questions for you.

I tried it in another thread been trying to find out what to do for an hour and still at the same point, just want someone to show workings so i can see what i'm doing wrong
Original post by ᒍack
I tried it in another thread been trying to find out what to do for an hour and still at the same point, just want someone to show workings so i can see what i'm doing wrong

How would you differentiate x32x^{\frac{3}{2}}? It's just that, but multiplied by 2\sqrt{2}.
Reply 5
before any help, perhaps share your thought process when looking at the question. What is it exactly that you are having a hard time with.
Multiply the x coefficient (root 2) by the exponent, and simply decrease the exponent by 1.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ᒍack

What is the rule for differentiating ax^n?
Reply 8
Original post by RedGiant
Multiply the x coefficient (root 2) by the exponent, and simply decrease the exponent by 1. Root 2 is simply a constant.

Thank you
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
What is the rule for differentiating ax^n?

anx^n-1
Reply 10
Oops, I meant to put  21/2x3/2\ 2^{-1/2} * x^{3/2}
Reply 11
again just take the 2^-1/2 as a constant and multiply it by the derivative of x^3/2 you can then do some tidying up of the answer if you want I don't know if im supposed to send a pic of the full solution or not
Reply 12
Original post by ruhplus
again just take the 2^-1/2 as a constant and multiply it by the derivative of x^3/2 you can then do some tidying up of the answer if you want I don't know if im supposed to send a pic of the full solution or not

I ended up doing  1/21/23/2\ 1/2^{-1/2} * 3/2 then doing  x1/23\ x^{1/2} * 3 then cleaning it up to give  3/2x1/2/21/2\ 3/2*x^{1/2}/2^{1/2}
(edited 6 years ago)
Rather simple. Root of 2 is a constant so the basic power rule is enough.
Reply 14
Original post by ᒍack
I ended up doing  1/21/23/2\ 1/2^{-1/2} * 3/2 then doing  x1/23\ x^{1/2} * 3 then cleaning it up to give  3/2x1/2/21/2\ 3/2*x^{1/2}/2^{1/2}

right so, firstly I think you made a typo as its  1/21/2\ 1/2^{1/2} not a negative 1/2, as having 1 over a negative power makes a positive one. Also, why did you do  x1/23\ x^{1/2} * 3 ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by ruhplus
right so, firstly I think you made a typo as its  1/21/2\ 1/2^{1/2} not a negative 1/2, as having 1 over a negative power makes a positive one. Also, why did you do  x1/23\ x^{1/2} * 3 ?

Yeah it's meant to be ^-1/2
Reply 16
Original post by ruhplus

Ahhh.. i see what people mean now.. I didn't know I could just keep the constant and take the derivative of the rest of the term then multiply... my book didn't even mention it... ughh.... tgwerhbwtehiuoqwerhgfw3hrgbw4rhbw45thwrthw45thw4thw4thmndtyj erythje6t4r4r4r4r4r4rytrey

Thanks everyone..
Reply 17
Original post by ᒍack
Yeah it's meant to be ^-1/2

yeah but  1/21/2\ 1/2^{1/2} is the same as  21/2\ 2^{-1/2} so I'm just saying that you kind of did a maths equivalent of a double negative. Your answer is almost right but as I implied in the last message you shouldn't have multiplied by just a 3.
Reply 18
Original post by ᒍack
Ahhh.. i see what people mean now.. I didn't know I could just keep the constant and take the derivative of the rest of the term then multiply... my book didn't even mention it... ughh.... tgwerhbwtehiuoqwerhgfw3hrgbw4rhbw45thwrthw45thw4thw4thmndtyj erythje6t4r4r4r4r4r4rytrey

Thanks everyone..

good, so you've managed to get the right answer now?
Reply 19
Original post by ruhplus
good, so you've managed to get the right answer now?

Yeah the answer is still the same 3/2 * x / 2

Quick Reply

Latest