The Student Room Group

Keele vs Nottingham vs Birmingham

I have been offered placed at medical school at these 3 universities. I am not currently considering Birmingham and I am choosing between Keele and Nottingham. Looking for the opinions of current students and details about the 2 universities including accommodation and the prestige of the medical schools as well as the teaching hospitals attached.
Many thanks
Original post by fitzpete
I have been offered placed at medical school at these 3 universities. I am not currently considering Birmingham and I am choosing between Keele and Nottingham. Looking for the opinions of current students and details about the 2 universities including accommodation and the prestige of the medical schools as well as the teaching hospitals attached.
Many thanks

You end up with the same degree so prestige means nothing. The rest you can look up online which will be good practise for doing your own research. Also consider things like teaching methods, dissection, intercalation and when you start doing clinical work.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
You end up with the same degree so prestige means nothing. The rest you can look up online which will be good practise for doing your own research. Also consider things like teaching methods, dissection, intercalation and when you start doing clinical work.

Yes I understand but obviously prestige must matter somewhat and corroborative of this is that clearly one who goes to Oxford University will have better career aspects than say Salford university. Moreover, the teaching style is similar. Also-do you do medicine and if so is intercalation useful. Thank you but hasn’t really answered question as trying to decide between them other than teaching methods.
Yes I understand but obviously prestige must matter somewhat and corroborative of this is that clearly one who goes to Oxford University will have better career aspects than say Salford university. Moreover, the teaching style is similar. Also-do you do medicine and if so is intercalation useful. Thank you but hasn’t really answered question as trying to decide between them other than teaching methods.

Not really as everyone does the same national exams at the end and gets ranked. You get jobs based on your national ranking not where you studied. It's highly unlikely that the unis are the same for all those factors I mentioned so yes I have answered your question by saying do your own research. If that's not something you can do at this stage then you will struggle in med school. I don't do medicine per se but have worked and taught at a medical school for a while now. Intercalation is helpful for a research/academic career and will also get your points in the national ranking system.
Reply 4
Not really as everyone does the same national exams at the end and gets ranked. You get jobs based on your national ranking not where you studied. It's highly unlikely that the unis are the same for all those factors I mentioned so yes I have answered your question by saying do your own research. If that's not something you can do at this stage then you will struggle in med school. I don't do medicine per se but have worked and taught at a medical school for a while now. Intercalation is helpful for a research/academic career and will also get your points in the national ranking system.

Yes I have done my own research and have compiled a list of similarities. They both do full body dissection using both prosection and dissection and have early clinical placements. The only difference between the 2 in terms of teaching is that Nottingham includes a non-optional intercalation but that doesn’t require an extra year. They both do an almost identical proportion of PBL, seminars, tutorial work and lectures-the only difference being you do a dissertation at Nottingham and not at Birmingham. May I ask at which university you teach? I have done extensive research on all medical schools in the U.K. to bring it down to my 4 choices and know exactly which teaching style would be best for me which is Integrated.
Yes I have done my own research and have compiled a list of similarities. They both do full body dissection using both prosection and dissection and have early clinical placements. The only difference between the 2 in terms of teaching is that Nottingham includes a non-optional intercalation but that doesn’t require an extra year. They both do an almost identical proportion of PBL, seminars, tutorial work and lectures-the only difference being you do a dissertation at Nottingham and not at Birmingham. May I ask at which university you teach? I have done extensive research on all medical schools in the U.K. to bring it down to my 4 choices and know exactly which teaching style would be best for me which is Integrated.

That's great! Then making a decision should not be difficult as you have the intercalation year to consider and the dissertation. Not having an extra year will help with finance and doing the dissertation is always a good skill to have. Unfortunately I am not on TSR in an official capacity but a personal voluntary one. Good luck!
Reply 6
That's great! Then making a decision should not be difficult as you have the intercalation year to consider and the dissertation. Not having an extra year will help with finance and doing the dissertation is always a good skill to have. Unfortunately I am not on TSR in an official capacity but a personal voluntary one. Good luck!

Thank you and just a random one-what university do you teach at.
And for everyone else-still open to suggestions
Thank you and just a random one-what university do you teach at.
And for everyone else-still open to suggestions

It's not random, you asked me this before and I answered you above (it helps to read :smile:). I am not on TSR in an official capacity :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
It's not random, you asked me this before and I answered you above (it helps to read :smile:). I am not on TSR in an official capacity :smile:

Yes I did read that-that’s why I asked again. As in you are not allowed to tell me what university you teach at because of that?
Yes I did read that-that’s why I asked again. As in you are not allowed to tell me what university you teach at because of that?

I'm not not allowed but I don't want people knowing where I work as I don't represent the uni on here. No one should be able to say this person works here and said this as all views I express are my own from experience :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes I understand but obviously prestige must matter somewhat and corroborative of this is that clearly one who goes to Oxford University will have better career aspects than say Salford university.

Medicine is different to other subjects though. For other subjects prestige is linked to career prospects - even if the %employed says differently, it is assumed that unis with higher 'prestige' get better jobs.

But medical jobs are allocated via a national system and as such its simply not applicable. Arguably, it might make a difference if you were being employed abroad, mainly in places like the Middle-East, but that's about it. 'Prestige' has no meaning in itself. Obviously there are differences, including variations in which speciality graduates go into, pass rates of exams etc, and the more important aspects it seems like you have already researched, but 'prestige' really shouldn't concern you.
Reply 11
Original post by nexttime
Medicine is different to other subjects though. For other subjects prestige is linked to career prospects - even if the %employed says differently, it is assumed that unis with higher 'prestige' get better jobs.

But medical jobs are allocated via a national system and as such its simply not applicable. Arguably, it might make a difference if you were being employed abroad, mainly in places like the Middle-East, but that's about it. 'Prestige' has no meaning in itself. Obviously there are differences, including variations in which speciality graduates go into, pass rates of exams etc, and the more important aspects it seems like you have already researched, but 'prestige' really shouldn't concern you.

Thank you ever so much, that’s invaluable. In addition though, do you happen to have a preference between Keele and Nottingham?
Thank you ever so much, that’s invaluable. In addition though, do you happen to have a preference between Keele and Nottingham?

Well back in the day i applied to Nottingham and liked the uni so, i guess them? I'm not you though, and i do not have any particular insight to these two unis.
I think something you should ask yourself as well is which area you like better. You are going to be there for 5 years. Sure, you'll be moving around for teaching but nevertheless they will be your base unis and cities.

How did you feel when you visited? From what I remember, Keele is a beautiful uni but not too big of a town (or close to a busy city). Nottingham on the other hand is bigger and busier (but driving is a nightmare). As nice as it is just to think about the academics, have a think about where you would enjoy living too, as it can have an impact on your experience through uni.
Reply 14
Original post by Blazingphoenix
I think something you should ask yourself as well is which area you like better. You are going to be there for 5 years. Sure, you'll be moving around for teaching but nevertheless they will be your base unis and cities.

How did you feel when you visited? From what I remember, Keele is a beautiful uni but not too big of a town (or close to a busy city). Nottingham on the other hand is bigger and busier (but driving is a nightmare). As nice as it is just to think about the academics, have a think about where you would enjoy living too, as it can have an impact on your experience through uni.

Thank you. And do you happen to know anything about the accommodation as it’s very vague as to which block it applies to apart from premier en suite which are in Lindsay court. Very useful-thank you.
Thank you. And do you happen to know anything about the accommodation as it’s very vague as to which block it applies to apart from premier en suite which are in Lindsay court. Very useful-thank you.

I am not actually at Keele (or Nottingham for that matter). But have you tried looking at the map? https://www.keele.ac.uk/studyatkeele/accommodation/newstudents/roomtypecampusmap/Student%20Facilities%20Map_2017December.pdf
Reply 16
Original post by Blazingphoenix
I am not actually at Keele (or Nottingham for that matter). But have you tried looking at the map? https://www.keele.ac.uk/studyatkeele/accommodation/newstudents/roomtypecampusmap/Student%20Facilities%20Map_2017December.pdf

Thank you so much !!!! Had never seen that before
Reply 17
Thank you so much !!!! Had never seen that before

It means now I understand actually where the accommodation blocks are as it only had vague descriptions ie washbasin apart from Barnes new en suite so I now can deduce what accommodation is in which block.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending