The Student Room Group

Help! Spilled juice on my macbook pro

What do I do? Orange juice went onto the keyboard. I’m freaking out, I spent £500 only 3 weeks ago for my sister dropping water on it and now I’ve gone and done this!

My mums going to slaughter me
Original post by SherlockD
What do I do? Orange juice went onto the keyboard. I’m freaking out, I spent £500 only 3 weeks ago for my sister dropping water on it and now I’ve gone and done this!

My mums going to slaughter me

OK, turn it off IMMEDIATELY. Unplug it from power, if it's an earlier model and you can remove the battery, do that. Then, stand it upside down and let it drip dry for at least 48 hours. Do NOT attempt to power it up after turning it off as you could potentially short circuit your MacBook.

Good luck! :frown:

Moved to Laptops, netbooks and tablets :smile:
Put it in rice?
Reply 3
put it in rice once i had my phone inside my bag and didnt close my water bottle properly..result i had an iphone drowned in water. left it in rice for 2 days and started working again. make sure everything is turned off and unplugged
Original post by Paracosm
OK, turn it off IMMEDIATELY. Unplug it from power, if it's an earlier model and you can remove the battery, do that. Then, stand it upside down and let it drip dry for at least 48 hours. Do NOT attempt to power it up after turning it off as you could potentially short circuit your MacBook.

Good luck! :frown:

Moved to Laptops, netbooks and tablets :smile:

Crap, it’s dead then. I switched it off, dried it with a tissue, held it upside down for one minute and then restarted it. It worked. So I switched it off and now it’s charging. Just hope it’s enough
https://themightymug.com/

These are BRILLIANT. :wink:
Crap, it’s dead then. I switched it off, dried it with a tissue, held it upside down for one minute and then restarted it. It worked. So I switched it off and now it’s charging. Just hope it’s enough

Take it off charge please and leave it alone for at least two days.
Original post by s.m30
https://themightymug.com/

These are BRILLIANT. :wink:

Appreciate the sarcasm 😂👌🏽 whilst crying my eyes out
Take it off charge please and leave it alone for at least two days.

So after what you've said.... I didn't heed your advice! Foolish? Maybe. So it does seem to be working, all the keys are working, it's charging fine. Do you think this is because it's still freshly damaged and it'll take time for the full effect of the damage to be seen? Or do you think I've salvaged it?

Considering it was orange juice, any likelihood of any acidic corrosion?

(Yes I probably should have heeded your advice but I'm a myopic uni student who desperately needs to finish coursework)
So after what you've said.... I didn't heed your advice! Foolish? Maybe. So it does seem to be working, all the keys are working, it's charging fine. Do you think this is because it's still freshly damaged and it'll take time for the full effect of the damage to be seen? Or do you think I've salvaged it?

Considering it was orange juice, any likelihood of any acidic corrosion?

(Yes I probably should have heeded your advice but I'm a myopic uni student who desperately needs to finish coursework)

I mean, I've worked with these devices for several years and I'm pretty clued up on how they work and the early effects of liquid damage in devices such as this but if you're convinced you are better informed then crack on. :smile:

(yes, I have the qualifications to back the above claims - as you've ignored me it's likely too late if it ceases to work, I hope it doesn't, but if it does it'll likely be totalled - as it's working right now, I can't promise anything to you)
(edited 6 years ago)
I mean, I've worked with these devices for several years and I'm pretty clued up on how they work and the early effects of liquid damage in devices such as this but if you're convinced you are better informed then crack on. :smile:

(yes, I have the qualifications to back the above claims - as you've ignored me it's likely too late if it ceases to work, I hope it doesn't, but if it does it'll likely be totalled - as it's working right now, I can't promise anything to you)

FML ffs I'm doomed. I should've listened. Any chance u carry out repairs that are cheaper than Apple?
FML ffs I'm doomed. I should've listened. Any chance u carry out repairs that are cheaper than Apple?

Only certified Apple technicians or resellers can perform repairs. Sorry. :frown: Has it stopped working?
Only certified Apple technicians or resellers can perform repairs. Sorry. :frown: Has it stopped working?

Nope it's still working. Thanks for the advice and will definitely come in handy next time. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending