The Student Room Group

Nottingham vs Exeter law

Anyone got suggestions on what to firm?

Nottingham : AAB
Exeter : BBB
I am leaning towards nottingham as it is slightly more reputable i believe despite the exeter campus being nicer.
Never been to either city and coming from Newcastle, a decent nightlife is kinda important which is presume is better in Nottingham.

Also got an AAA offer from Leeds but was not really considering it tbh

Idk, basically just looking for any help/advice??
Now, as a matter of interest - is BBB for Law at Exeter normal? Because that seems mentally low.
Nottingham any Day
I'd go for whichever you prefer- reputation honestly doesn't matter as much as you think between the russel group unis. Obviously my advice would be different if it was Russel Group v Oxbridge or Russel Group v Non Russel Group. You're more likely to do well somewhere that you're happy and the degree classification that you obtain will be much more significant than the name of your Russel Group Uni.
Reply 4
Original post by lordringo
Now, as a matter of interest - is BBB for Law at Exeter normal? Because that seems mentally low.

On the website / prospectus it says AAA-AAB so id say ive done fairly well/got lucky lol but yeah even i dont firm it, it is a very good insurance regardless
Reply 5
Original post by Aspiringlawyerr
I'd go for whichever you prefer- reputation honestly doesn't matter as much as you think between the russel group unis. Obviously my advice would be different if it was Russel Group v Oxbridge or Russel Group v Non Russel Group. You're more likely to do well somewhere that you're happy and the degree classification that you obtain will be much more significant than the name of your Russel Group Uni.

Yeah i get that i will undoubtedly do better in the place i feel happier, i just cant get over reputation not being important in law of all things. for example, someone from UCL and someone from say Liverpool i doubt would have the same job prospects. Maybe i am wrong but i appreciate the advice anyway.
Original post by CleggyFTW
Yeah i get that i will undoubtedly do better in the place i feel happier, i just cant get over reputation not being important in law of all things. for example, someone from UCL and someone from say Liverpool i doubt would have the same job prospects. Maybe i am wrong but i appreciate the advice anyway.

I thought the same when I was in your position. Yes, the UCL student may have an ever so slight advantage over the Liverpool student, however it won't be much, even for Law. Employers will be much more interested in your module marks and YOU as a person, afterall, if you want to go into the legal profession a huge amount depends on whether the firm can imagine you working for them. Get a good grade from any Russel Group Uni and you'll have effectively ticked the academic 'box'- they will then move on to become much more interested in things such as your communication skills etc. Go wherever you personally prefer!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Chichaldo
Nottingham any Day

Might this not be marginally influenced by your studying law at Notts?

I am not convinced there is a significant difference in reputation or course quality between Notts and Exeter, especially now Notts has demoted itself to being an AAA course. If OP has a preference in relation to living arrangements or locale, then they should consider that primarily before any consideration of a small rep difference.
Giving My opinion. I can't fault Notts, employability for law second to few
Original post by CleggyFTW
On the website / prospectus it says AAA-AAB so id say ive done fairly well/got lucky lol but yeah even i dont firm it, it is a very good insurance regardless

Feel free to ignore this, but here’s my gut instinct - given Exeter’s usual entry requirements, the fact they’ve given you BBB means they really like you. For that reason I personally would pick Exeter - it’s got SLIGHTLY more respect as an overall institution (people can argue with me on this but sorry, it’s true), but more importantly my experience suggests that if a place is willing to bend rules for you, as Exeter have, you will have a better time there, and be more supported. It’s the same reason people go to lesser unis who offer them scholarships even if they don’t need the money - it’s the university saying ‘you’re really right for us’.
Exeter don't play the "offers" game of giving higher offers than they expect to try and get people to firm them on prestige purposes. As above, it's probably because they're quite keen on you. Also, for it's various faults elsewhere, Law is one of it's premier departments as I could tell when I was there. They have their big old mooting oval room thing, and most of the ground floor of the Library was actually the Law library as I recall...also Amory is at the bottom of that infernal hill which is another bonus (at least compared with other departments) :tongue:

You could look at progression statistics (particularly for MC/SC firms if that's your thing) but I believe Nottingham and Exe are about on par from that perspective (and I have doubts as to whether those are very meaningful statistics as it could simply be indicative of non-academic connections etc...). I don't think either is particularly more convenient for getting to London for networking events/interviews/assessment days, although Exeter is just a straight shot on either one of two lines (I'm not sure about Nottingham but I think there may be some connections involved).

Overall I'd suggest picking the one you prefer personally, as everything else is pretty equal as far as I can tell. However, if you like where you're studying this will help you be in the right frame of mind to excel in your academics, which is probably the main thing you want to ensure. It sounds like that's Exeter, but it's up to you. Remember that your firm choice should be the university you most want to go to - not the one with the highest entry criteria.
Reply 11
Original post by Aspiringlawyerr
I thought the same when I was in your position. Yes, the UCL student may have an ever so slight advantage over the Liverpool student, however it won't be much, even for Law. Employers will be much more interested in your module marks and YOU as a person, afterall, if you want to go into the legal profession a huge amount depends on whether the firm can imagine you working for them. Get a good grade from any Russel Group Uni and you'll have effectively ticked the academic 'box'- they will then move on to become much more interested in things such as your communication skills etc. Go wherever you personally prefer!

really appreciate this advice, cheers mate!
Reply 12
Original post by lordringo
Feel free to ignore this, but here’s my gut instinct - given Exeter’s usual entry requirements, the fact they’ve given you BBB means they really like you. For that reason I personally would pick Exeter - it’s got SLIGHTLY more respect as an overall institution (people can argue with me on this but sorry, it’s true), but more importantly my experience suggests that if a place is willing to bend rules for you, as Exeter have, you will have a better time there, and be more supported. It’s the same reason people go to lesser unis who offer them scholarships even if they don’t need the money - it’s the university saying ‘you’re really right for us’.

I do defo get your point and they did offer me a scholarship too which is very enticing, only think is nottingham also lowered their boundaries so im really torn but i really appreciate your advice and it will cotribute to the decision, Cheers mate
Reply 13
Original post by artful_lounger
Exeter don't play the "offers" game of giving higher offers than they expect to try and get people to firm them on prestige purposes. As above, it's probably because they're quite keen on you. Also, for it's various faults elsewhere, Law is one of it's premier departments as I could tell when I was there. They have their big old mooting oval room thing, and most of the ground floor of the Library was actually the Law library as I recall...also Amory is at the bottom of that infernal hill which is another bonus (at least compared with other departments) :tongue:

You could look at progression statistics (particularly for MC/SC firms if that's your thing) but I believe Nottingham and Exe are about on par from that perspective (and I have doubts as to whether those are very meaningful statistics as it could simply be indicative of non-academic connections etc...). I don't think either is particularly more convenient for getting to London for networking events/interviews/assessment days, although Exeter is just a straight shot on either one of two lines (I'm not sure about Nottingham but I think there may be some connections involved).

Overall I'd suggest picking the one you prefer personally, as everything else is pretty equal as far as I can tell. However, if you like where you're studying this will help you be in the right frame of mind to excel in your academics, which is probably the main thing you want to ensure. It sounds like that's Exeter, but it's up to you. Remember that your firm choice should be the university you most want to go to - not the one with the highest entry criteria.

Nice, its good to contextualise things and know that really it shouldnt make too much of a difference to my job prospects, i guess i just look at the league tables and presume Nottingham would be better, which obviously i shouldnt do but i would say its fairly natural. anyway, really appreciate the advice, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending