The Student Room Group

Should a rape alarm be "sufficient"?

My student house is in a bit of a dodgy neighbourhood near a council estate. Quite a few gangs hanging out on the streets. I've lived here two years and I've never had a problem, everyone has been very polite and courteous to me.
After nights out I walk home with my friend who lives five minutes from me, but she's the first stop and then I have to do the rest of the five minutes on my own. Btw we walk because we live very close to the city centre. Because of the way the roads are, I can't really get a taxi from hers to mine. I would if it was a viable option but just take my word that isn't. Also most people live on the other end of town which is why it's normally just the two of us walking.
Like I said, I've never had any problems and I've generally felt reasonably safe walking at night. Also despite the gangs etc, we never actually have any burglaries or crimes. It's always the other student areas that are mentioned in the news for muggings and rapes.

However, last month someone was raped on my road after a night out. I haven't been out since cos of dissertation but I'm a bit worried now. Like I said, a taxi really isn't an option and it is just a five minute walk but you never know what could happen.

Going out this weekend and will probably have to do a bit of walking on my road at night. I have a rape alarm on my keys but is there anything else you'd suggest doing to maximise safety?

Scroll to see replies

My parents bought me a rape alarm when I was like 13 ..but they didn't tell me what it was, they said it was a personal attack alarm

I was made to carry it to school, my friends took the piss out of me and would try set it off on the bus etc

eventually I stopped taking it into school

I only found out it was a rape alarm years later. I never would have worn it in if I knew it was a rape alarm

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
My parents bought me a rape alarm when I was like 13 ..but they didn't tell me what it was, they said it was a personal attack alarm

I was made to carry it to school, my friends took the piss out of me and would try set it off on the bus etc

I only found out it was a rape alarm years later. I never would have worn it in if I knew it was a rape alarm

Spoiler

lmao, did your friends know what it was then?
Original post by 433433
My student house is in a bit of a dodgy neighbourhood near a council estate. Quite a few gangs hanging out on the streets. I've lived here two years and I've never had a problem, everyone has been very polite and courteous to me.
After nights out I walk home with my friend who lives five minutes from me, but she's the first stop and then I have to do the rest of the five minutes on my own. Btw we walk because we live very close to the city centre. Because of the way the roads are, I can't really get a taxi from hers to mine. I would if it was a viable option but just take my word that isn't. Also most people live on the other end of town which is why it's normally just the two of us walking.
Like I said, I've never had any problems and I've generally felt reasonably safe walking at night. Also despite the gangs etc, we never actually have any burglaries or crimes. It's always the other student areas that are mentioned in the news for muggings and rapes.

However, last month someone was raped on my road after a night out. I haven't been out since cos of dissertation but I'm a bit worried now. Like I said, a taxi really isn't an option and it is just a five minute walk but you never know what could happen.

Going out this weekend and will probably have to do a bit of walking on my road at night. I have a rape alarm on my keys but is there anything else you'd suggest doing to maximise safety?

-Ask someone to walk with you, maybe some buff intimidating male freind
-Ask someone to drop you off via car instead of Taxi? (Is there loads of traffic near yours or something)
- pepper sprayyy
- Bring running shoes in your bag and as soon as you hit that street wear your creps and sprint. Maybe pretend your a jogger or some ******** idk however desperate you are.
-Pretend your on the Phone.
Don't go out on your own. Don't go out at late night. Don't go where there aren't many people. Carry a pocket knife
you could get a taxi from town.
share with your friend, drop her off first and split the fare.
I'm sure it's actually illegal just to carry a pocket knife / pepper spray. And I do believe if you carry a knife, you're more likely to get stabbed.

I do second having someone walk with you if possible.
Ok so i'm not entirely sure why "near a council estate" is relevant, it's actually better that you live near one, higher police presence and people who grow up on estates look out for people around them. If you are in student housing why are you not going out with the people in your house? If you don't feel safe ring nightline, they can stay on the phone with you until you get home and can ring the police should anything happen.
Reply 8
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Ok so i'm not entirely sure why "near a council estate" is relevant, it's actually better that you live near one, higher police presence and people who grow up on estates look out for people around them. If you are in student housing why are you not going out with the people in your house? If you don't feel safe ring nightline, they can stay on the phone with you until you get home and can ring the police should anything happen.

To give you an idea that it's a rough area. The council estate is down the road but they all hang out by the shops by my house. Yes like I said, I've felt very welcome in my two years, never had any troubles. But obviously a rape on your road isn't the best thing.
My housemates and I like different music so we never really go clubbing together. It's possible to have friends who aren't your housemates.
Original post by 433433
To give you an idea that it's a rough area. The council estate is down the road but they all hang out by the shops by my house. Yes like I said, I've felt very welcome in my two years, never had any troubles. But obviously a rape on your road isn't the best thing.
My housemates and I like different music so we never really go clubbing together. It's possible to have friends who aren't your housemates.

I am aware, if they are out on the same night however just meet up with them, also ignore the advice from the wannabe roadman, pepper spray is illegal and if you use it you'd probably end up in more trouble than the other person.
Original post by Bill Nye
lmao, did your friends know what it was then?

One of my friends knew and even called it a rape alarm but I just thought he was taking the mickey and was being a d*ck

I didn't actually think it was a rape alarm!

I thought he was having me on
Reply 11
I am aware, if they are out on the same night however just meet up with them, also ignore the advice from the wannabe roadman, pepper spray is illegal and if you use it you'd probably end up in more trouble than the other person.

They're not. And we go to different types of clubs, theirs finish at 2 and mine finish at 6. I'm not going to buy pepper spray. My friend has me on find my friends and I normally text her to tell her I've got home safe, but obviously that doesn't prevent an attack. So I was just wondering if anyone had any tips. Like is it better or worse to be on your phone etc etc.
Original post by mc_miah
-Ask someone to walk with you, maybe some buff intimidating male freind
-Ask someone to drop you off via car instead of Taxi? (Is there loads of traffic near yours or something)
- pepper sprayyy
- Bring running shoes in your bag and as soon as you hit that street wear your creps and sprint. Maybe pretend your a jogger or some ******** idk however desperate you are.
-Pretend your on the Phone.
-(bit extreme but) Bring a pocket-knife with you loooool show them who you are, whip your blade out, get them scared then make a dash home....alternatively one could stab them but I don't want to encourage murder

All this advice is terrible and increases the chance of trouble :wink:

Be aware of your surroundings and don't rely on other people, carrying a dedicated weapon is stupid and obv illegal, unless you KNOW how to use it no one is fooled (esp not someone who genuinely means you harm), and just carrying it will increase your anxiety and paranoia (this means more chance of trouble in general). If you REALLY feel the need for a bit of reassurance, a nice heavy/sharp bit of innocent metal on a keyring or so works wonders.

(btw pocket knives have more chance in a fight of taking yer own fingers off, even cheap lockbacks are risky)

I'm not basing this on nothing I've had a few female friends run into trouble this way, they've had a run in with the police (wrong place/wrong time/total fluke) and the pocket knife is found and they get charged, and that's a charge that can really mess up your life/career, and ironically turns you into the type of statistic you were initially scared from.
(edited 6 years ago)
After looking around a bit online, you could try something like this
Reply 14

Spoiler

I spat out my drink when I read the spoiler lol
Reply 15
After looking around a bit online, you could try something like this

Thanks I appreciate it
get a taxi from town to your house
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by hannah00
carry a pepper spray, cross the side of the road if you think your being followed, if the other person also follows you, then pepper spray them and run

If police ask why you have pepper spray, say its for science/cooking/youtube video dont tell them your going to use it for self defence because that counts as carrying a weapon.

That sounds quite silly. The police aren't complete idiots.
That sounds quite silly. The police aren't complete idiots.

not as silly as posting anon for no reason
Reply 19
Dude chill just be aware of your surroundings when you're out at night and you'll be fine. We live in the UK not Aleppo lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending