The Student Room Group

I've nearly lost all hope

So i recently got my AS chemistry mock exam back and i got an E which was really disheartening because i thought i would of done better , most people in my class did better than me and i feel too stupid to do anything (because alot of my mistakes were silly errors)

because of my result i haven't been feeling like myself in the sense that i haven't been eating/drinking anything , i haven't been able to get much sleep and i'm just so scared that i will never be able to bounce back from this , even though my teacher thinks i can :frown:

i really need help rn , plz :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
plz someone :frown:
If people like your teacher believe you can do much better, then you have to motivate yourself to show them you can do much better than a *****y E.
Remind yourself good and positive things and eating and drinking is another way to bounce back to give you enough energy.Your health is important.
As long as you believe in yourself then you shouldn't doubt anything.
Think about your future and what you want to do in life.
Hard work always pays off
Reply 3
bump :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
So i recently got my AS chemistry mock exam back and i got an E which was really disheartening because i thought i would of done better , most people in my class did better than me and i feel too stupid to do anything (because alot of my mistakes were silly errors)

because of my result i haven't been feeling like myself in the sense that i haven't been eating/drinking anything , i haven't been able to get much sleep and i honestly feel like ending it all , i'm just so scared that i will never be able to bounce back from this , even though my teacher thinks i can :frown:

Don't give up it's not the end of the world even though it may feel like it now. It's just a mock, next time if you revise more you'll get a great score. You'll look back on it in 10 years and think how silly this little worry was. It's just mock, remember; not the real thing. It doesn't influence your life.
Reply 5
Original post by Purplemonkeys
Don't give up it's not the end of the world even though it may feel like it now. It's just a mock, next time if you revise more you'll get a great score. You'll look back on it in 10 years and think how silly this little worry was. It's just mock, remember; not the real thing. It doesn't influence your life.

but i have until june , if i revise hard everyday can i get atleast a B ?
Don’t get too disheartened, I’m in year 2 of Chemistry A-level and it is super hard.. with lots of hard work I’m sure you will get there! Try not compare yourself to other people in your class as it will make you feel so much worse in the long run (learnt from experience). Silly mistakes are good mistakes as you can learn from them and try to be positive about it.

Can you talk to a teacher, parent or something about your progress / situation? A-levels are very challenging and sometimes talking through everything with someone can help.

Wishing you the best of luck, don’t give up!
You can do this😊

because of my result i haven't been feeling like myself in the sense that i haven't been eating/drinking anything , i haven't been able to get much sleep and i honestly feel like ending it all , i'm just so scared that i will never be able to bounce back from this , even though my teacher thinks i can :frown:

The only person you need to beat is yourself next time which I'm sure you will do. Eating drinking and sleeping will help you with the real thing. Besides it's vital, PLEASE eat drink and sleep. You can and will improve. People care.
Purplemonkeys 😀
X

I know it might seem like the end of the world, but its just an exam and it really isnt that bad.

Things can improve and get better.

You may want to edit your post about ending it all otherwise it will be removed from TSR and you can talk to the peer support group.

1. It was a mock- no real exam has been sat. Its like when you have a bad dream.
2. You already have an idea what went wrong so easy marks by not making the mistakes and increasing your grades.
3. Mock exams are meant to find out weaknesses so they can be set right n the real exam
4. Marks from E>D>C>B are easier to get the marks for than the higher grades, so you cam make progress quickly.

5. Get feedback from your teacher.
6. Go over notes and look at bits you didnt understand. Dr Boes might be in order.
7. Practice exam papers and workbooks so you get used to recalling and writing answers plus do them timed. Practice makes perfect.
8. Read mark schemes and id where you lose marks.
9. Go and have a cry for 24 hours if you want and then get down to making it right and doing yurself justice.
10. Dont beat yourself up its dull and pointless. Take responsibility and start focusing on putting things right.
11. Eating and drinking is col. Start again as you need energy to work that brain and do that revision. You also need sleep.
12. Ofc you can bounce back, its just a little bump and you cna still get a high grade if you put your nergy into scoring marks rather than feeling upset.

You will be fine if you do the above.
(edited 6 years ago)
Say you got an A in your mock.... how would that help you in the long run? Other than giving you a confidence boost, doing well in your mocks can be dangerous because you're likely to get arrogant, not work hard and believe that you know it all. You haven't done well in your mock, but why should that mean you won't do well in your real exams? Don't give up on yourself. I know you probably think you're bad at chemistry because of this one exam but that's not the case - it's so important that you've done not very well because this should give you a trigger to be even more determined than before
Original post by Purplemonkeys
The only person you need to beat is yourself next time which I'm sure you will do. Eating drinking and sleeping will help you with the real thing. Besides it's vital, PLEASE eat drink and sleep. You can and will improve. People care.
Purplemonkeys 😀
X

thank you x
but i have until june , if i revise hard everyday can i get atleast a B ?

Of course, and as most of your mistakes were silly errors it won't happen again. Don't burn yourself out but work hard. Don't be too hard on yourself. You've got a second chance; that's the point of mocks.
Original post by 999tigger
I know it might seem like the end of the world, but its just an exam and it really isnt that bad.

Things can improve and get better.

You may want to edit your post about ending it all otherwise it will be removed from TSR and you can talk to the peer support group.

1. It was a mock- no real exam has been sat. Its like when you have a bad dream.
2. You already have an idea what went wrong so easy marks by not making the mistakes and increasing your grades.
3. Mock exams are meant to find out weaknesses so they can be set right n the real exam
4. Marks from E>D>C>B are easy than the higher grades, so you cam make progress quickly.

5. Get feedback from your teacher.
6. Go over notes and look at bits you didnt understand. Dr Boes might be in order.
7. Practice exam papers and workbooks so you get used to recalling and writing answers plus do them timed. Practice makes perfect.
8. Read mark schemes and id where you lose marks.
9. Go and have a cry for 24 hours if you want and then get down to making it right and doing yurself justice.
10. Dont beat yourself up its dull and pointless. Take responsibility and start focusing on putting things right.
11. Eating and drinking is col. Start again as you need energy to work that brain and do that revision. You also need sleep.
12. Ofc you can bounce back, its just a little bump and you cna still get a high grade if you put your nergy into scoring marks rather than feeling upset.

You will be fine if you do the above.

wow ok thank you , i guess i can do it , but i want my parents to stay out of it because they overreact

I believe you can bounce back with an a at least
Hi there,

Honestly don't worry about it. The fact that you worry so much, just shows how much you care about your exams and you're future, which is a positive itself ! Not many people think this way.

Like you said, it was just sily mistakes, and your teacher thinks you can do better. This is a real positive, as in my school some teachers don't really believe in their students. Although you may be sad for a while, this is ok, as it is good to let out all your feelings. However in a few days, when your mind has calmed down a bit, convert your energy from sadness energy into useful energy: like working on the things you missed, and learning key words the mark scheme is looking for.

Do a little every day; even on days when you feel like doing nothing, just go over at least one defniition. Anything is better than nothing.

About the food, you should eat and sleep, even though it might be hard. Once when I failed an exam, I threw the sandwich I bought for lunch into the bin, and cried. I absolutely regret this, as it was a yummy tuna sandwich!

Bad things happen in life, but it's all about learning from them. Don't torture yourself for doing something wrong. You are worth more than that.

Moreover, you have one life, so live it to the full!

All the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest