The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Reading or Kent University

hi,

i have been accepted to Kent and Reading University however i am so torn between the 2 and i don't know what to do. I have applied for Wildlife conservation at Kent which is a 4 year long course, and at Reading i have applied for Ecology and Wildlife Conservation with a Foundation year which is 5 years long, as i thought i was not good enough to get in without the foundation year. Now, 5 years puts me off a lot from going to reading, i'm worried i'm going to get bored but i prefer the look of reading university than i do Kent, i have very close friends going to Reading and the course itself looks better to me. Although, Kent is 4 years long which sounds more appealing to me, but the actual university its self i'm not sure about. Kent is cheaper, but Reading is nicer, Kent is 4 years long but Readings overall course looks better. I'm so stuck, i don't know if i should stick out the 5 years scared that i may get very bored as it is a long time or go with Kent with the 4 years but i am worried i might not like the course/ uni as much. Is there any advice i could have for choosing which uni?
Hi :smile:

It's great you are considering coming to study at Reading!

I understand the struggle, it is a big decision to make. Obviously I am biased as I study at Reading, I'm in my 3rd year (finally year) and the time has flown by. When you're at university you get a lot of holiday so the years do go by really fast! I understand 4/5 years is a bit longer, but if you are passionate in that subject then hopefully that will keep you interested!

Either Kent or Reading choose which course suits you better as you are coming to university for a degree. Obviously you want to be comfortable at uni too and settle in, but the ultimate goal is to pick the right course!

I've looked at the website for your course. I see that the Ecology and Wildlife conservation degree with a foundation year is only four years? Do you mean it would be a 5 year course because you take a placement year? Placement years are not compulsory for every degree, it is optional so it looks for this course that it is just an option so if you came to Reading it only seems like a four year course so this could help you decide!

However, if you did want to do a placement year, yes that would make it a 5 year course. But, that placement year helps break up the time. You would be working in industry for a whole year and it probably wouldn't be in Reading, so hopefully would be something new and exciting!

Here is the website for the course where I got the information from:
http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/environment-ug/bsc-ecology-and-wildlife-conservation-with-foundation.aspx

Hopefully I've helped answer some of your questions. But if you have anymore feel free to ask!

Sophie
Final year Philosophy student :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi Sophie
(I thought I had replied but it disserpaerd, so sorry if you see the same reply twice I don't really know how to work this)

Yes either way if I go to Kent or Reading I will be doing a placement year, however from what you have said I do agree that I need to pick the right courses for me, which at the moment I feel is Reading.
From what you've said saying that there are a lot of holidays and that my placement year will break up it up has put me more at ease of doing the 5 years, making me more willing to go through with it.
Thank you for replying to my question it was really helpful! Good luck with your final year
Catherine 🙂
Original post by cath1022
Hi Sophie
(I thought I had replied but it disserpaerd, so sorry if you see the same reply twice I don't really know how to work this)

Yes either way if I go to Kent or Reading I will be doing a placement year, however from what you have said I do agree that I need to pick the right courses for me, which at the moment I feel is Reading.
From what you've said saying that there are a lot of holidays and that my placement year will break up it up has put me more at ease of doing the 5 years, making me more willing to go through with it.
Thank you for replying to my question it was really helpful! Good luck with your final year
Catherine 🙂

Hi Catherine :smile:

No problem I'm glad I could reassure you! Yes, uni is not all holiday haha! But, the term from September to December is only 11 weeks or so and the same from December to easter holiday so it's really not a lot!

Thank you! Good luck with your exams too!

Sophie
Final year Philosophy student :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending