The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
North has the banter
Original post by tomBch
North has the banter

We definitely do!! 🤙🏽
Reply 22
I much prefer the south. In fact well i'd never want to live north of Reading/Ilford. Travelled with Mother several times to Somerset the last few weeks and I just can't get over the accents, the dampness of everything and how it all just seems deprived and bleak. Yeah there are some modern areas but you leave a major city centre and everything is old, dirty, not cared for..
Original post by xrhiannon___xo
Southern are flatter, northern have some oomph. Southern sounds posher in areas whilst northern sounds kind on mumsy/farmery.

Agree, some time northerners sound abit more rough
Original post by 8472
I much prefer the south. In fact well i'd never want to live north of Reading/Ilford. Travelled with Mother several times to Somerset the last few weeks and I just can't get over the accents, the dampness of everything and how it all just seems deprived and bleak. Yeah there are some modern areas but you leave a major city centre and everything is old, dirty, not cared for..

Yeah, I get what you mean. There are a lot of area’s that seem abit ‘trashy’ but when you explore within those areas, you do find some beauty. I mean.. we do face more of the **** weather compared to south, so hence why the bleakness and dampness. Accents, meh. You probably sound funny to northerners, while northerners sound funny to you but it’s whatever.’
South England: Annoying accents and dialects, but at least there's good jobs.

North England: Funny accents and dialects, but too close to Scotland and not enough jobs.

Midlands: Annoying accents and dialects other areas find funny for some reason, traffic is at least 40% lorries passing through.
Also there's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjeusKu8JAE

Spoiler

Northern guys are hot IMHO? Southern guys are less masculine
Original post by Tosspot
South England: Annoying accents and dialects, but at least there's good jobs.

North England: Funny accents and dialects, but too close to Scotland and not enough jobs.

Midlands: Annoying accents and dialects other areas find funny for some reason, traffic is at least 40% lorries passing through.
Also there's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjeusKu8JAE

Spoiler

The lack of Jobs up north is ridiculous🤦🏾*♀️.

I personally don’t think the brummie accent is that bad. I don’t see what’s bad about it?

Are you a brummie thooo?
Original post by anonymousxo98
See, I think like where I’m from in north, we tend to sound chavvy.

And regarding slang, we kinda get it from down south don’t we..? But yet again,South is advanced with their slang compared to us.

Thats pretty much what I said. And yeah we do a bit don't we :biggrin:
Original post by mc_miah
Thats pretty much what I said. And yeah we do a bit don't we :biggrin:

Oh crap. I didnt realise, sorry.😂😂😂 && lol we do, just abit. Gives us a touch of uniqueness😂😂
The lack of Jobs up north is ridiculous🤦🏾*♀️.

I personally don’t think the brummie accent is that bad. I don’t see what’s bad about it?

Are you a brummie thooo?

Brummie accent just doesn't feel distinct enough, it's too coherent to be Northern and too rough to be Southern. Also "You f****** what?" Surmises the dialect imo.

Not a brummie, but it's similar enough that others mistake it for it.

Spoiler

Reply 31
Yeah, I get what you mean. There are a lot of area’s that seem abit ‘trashy’ but when you explore within those areas, you do find some beauty. I mean.. we do face more of the **** weather compared to south, so hence why the bleakness and dampness. Accents, meh. You probably sound funny to northerners, while northerners sound funny to you but it’s whatever.’

Totally agree with you on the beauty. The landscapes are far more impressive and something I marvel at. The trouble is, I live in Fleet which has won best place to live several times. So when it comes to comparisons I won't really ever find somewhere to match it in terms of quality of life, health care, education ect. We've also got a lot of green space and where im situated is the edge so a 30 seconds walk im in a field of sheep or 5 minutes the other way and it's the town center. However over the years it has got worse here due to everyone wanting to move here.. traffic is stupid now. House prices are ridiculous, about £300k for 1 bed apartment. And worst of all the people of fleet are mixed with those moving here who don't really have the town's spirit or friendliness. I don't dare think what it'll be like in 10 years once they complete the current new housing development plans (Estimated 7500 homes)... It is one of the reasons why my Mum wants to have a second house away from the south east area and urban sprawl.
Original post by cat_mac
Essex begs to differ...

oh I forgot about Essex...
Original post by Tosspot
Brummie accent just doesn't feel distinct enough, it's too coherent to be Northern and too rough to be Southern. Also "You f****** what?" Surmises the dialect imo.

Not a brummie, but it's similar enough that others mistake it for it.

Spoiler

It's one of the most distinct in the country. If anything your post only gives an argument as to why it is rather than why it isn't.
Is there really much of a difference?

I don’t think there is, other than northerners are a lot more nicer and down-to-earth than southerners.

Northerners call what we Southerners call 'lunchtime', 'dinner', and they also call 'dinner', 'tea'.

Northerners take the piss out of me for having a crisp Southern accent.

Original post by cat_mac
Essex begs to differ...

Goodness. I hail from Essex but I do not have the stereotypical Essex accent despite attending a state comprehensive. I blame this on years of watching Yes, Minister/Prime Minister :ahee:
As a southerner my experience is that northerners tend to be a lot friendlier and sociable, I was once sat in a bar at a big table in the south on a table on my own for a bit and no one joined me or approached me.

I did likewise up north and a really friendly group of northerners came over to sit with me.

I’ve never been threatened with abuse/threatening language by anyone up north but down south even in my home town on nights out I have been a few times...
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's one of the most distinct in the country. If anything your post only gives an argument as to why it is rather than why it isn't.

I guess, I might just be too used to it now to notice.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Northerners call what we Southerners call 'lunchtime', 'dinner', and they also call 'dinner', 'tea'.

Northerners take the piss out of me for having a crisp Southern accent.

Goodness. I hail from Essex but I do not have the stereotypical Essex accent despite attending a state comprehensive. I blame this on years of watching Yes, Minister/Prime Minister :ahee:

I just call everything dinner,” 😂😂😂 nah, most of us lowkey love the accent!
Live in the North, not as prosperous but certainly a good time.
Original post by AryanGh
Live in the North, not as prosperous but certainly a good time.

Definitely agree. Sourh to me just seems like a lot of stuck up people, which isn’t true
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest