The Student Room Group

What are the different types of degrees?

I keep seeing different terms e.g. 'BA' 'BSC' 'MA' 'HONS' etc. and I have no idea what they are.

Are certain types frowned upon?
Original post by Traore
I keep seeing different terms e.g. 'BA' 'BSC' 'MA' 'HONS' etc. and I have no idea what they are.

Are certain types frowned upon?

BA = Bachelor of Arts. These are for arts and humanities undergraduate degrees like history, english literature, etc.
BSc = Bachelor of Science. These are for undergraduate degrees with a mathematical/science element to them, e.g. Maths, Physics, Biology, Statistics, etc.
MA = Master of Arts. These are for arts and humanities masters degrees (i.e. postgraduate).
MSc = Master of Science. These are for maths/science-heavy masters degrees (i.e. postgraduate)
Hons = Honours. Most bachelors degrees will be honours degrees (meaning you have achieved a certain level in them)
Reply 2
Original post by dinglebells
BA = Bachelor of Arts. These are for arts and humanities undergraduate degrees like history, english literature, etc.
BSc = Bachelor of Science. These are for undergraduate degrees with a mathematical/science element to them, e.g. Maths, Physics, Biology, Statistics, etc.
MA = Master of Arts. These are for arts and humanities masters degrees (i.e. postgraduate).
MSc = Master of Science. These are for maths/science-heavy masters degrees (i.e. postgraduate)
Hons = Honours. Most bachelors degrees will be honours degrees (meaning you have achieved a certain level in them)

Thank you! The three courses I am considering are:
- Psychology
- Psychology and Criminology

What would these be?
Original post by Traore
- Psychology

What would these be?

These can be BSc or BA depending on the university. You'd have to check for each university you're thinking of applying to.
Original post by Traore
- Psychology

What would these be?

Pretty sure all of these would be BScs - they are both sciences.
Original post by Traore
- Psychology

What would these be?

Normally BA or BSc.

Note: a BA course can often contain more science content than a BSc course. The degree type was usually decided by a committee years or even decades ago. Don’t worry too much about the different types/titles. Instead dig a bit deeper and look at the modules and topics you would study on each course.
I got a BSc but some students chose a BA for exactly the same course..

There is also B Eng - usually some sort of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending