The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
It was supposed to until Theresa May called a snap election and got scared away from allowing fees to rise with inflation.

It was also supposed to be used to determine which universities could sponsor visas for international students. Then LSE got a bronze and they got scared.

Ok. I did not know this information.

If and when the Government gets a backbone to introduce TEF as a metric for tuition fees, I think this may significantly help both students and the “good” institutions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
Ok. I did not know this information.

If and when the Government gets a backbone to introduce TEF as a metric for tuition fees, I think this may significantly help both students and the “good” institutions.

They’ve given up the idea completely and decided to do a year long review of university funding instead. They’re basically planning to do nothing until after brexit and the next election.
Original post by PQ
They’ve given up the idea completely and decided to do a year long review of university funding instead. They’re basically planning to do nothing until after brexit and the next election.

I think it should be a careful process to ensure proper results. I am afraid that Brexit may cause the Government to bin the idea altogether to avoid reducing the Treasury’s revenue.
Original post by J-SP
That’s the least of university problems at the moment

Yes, pension is more important at the moment.
Original post by Wired_1800
I think it should be a careful process to ensure proper results. I am afraid that Brexit may cause the Government to bin the idea altogether to avoid reducing the Treasury’s revenue.

How does changing fees reduce the Treasury's revenue? The student loan is independent of the Treasury, although the write-offs aren't.
Original post by J-SP
Your Big 8 is starting to look very shaky then with only 3 meeting the highest standard based on TEF

Indeed: Manchester, silver....

Which they seem amazingly pleased to get: "This result acknowledges the tremendous progress our University has made in recent years to bring about significant improvements in the student experience particularly across teaching quality, assessment and feedback. "
http://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/news/display/?id=18515
Original post by J-SP
No, it really isn’t it.

I doubt the lecturers would agree with you.

Original post by J-SP
Your Big 8 is starting to look very shaky then with only 3 meeting the highest standard based on TEF

Yes, the Big 8 may need a review. Maybe the international ranking, TEF & REF scores and other metrics may help to create a new tier of elite universities.

The idea still stands, but the members of the group may have to change to truly reflect a new and elite group of universities.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
How does changing fees reduce the Treasury's revenue? The student loan is independent of the Treasury, although the write-offs aren't.

You have partially answered the question. The varied fee will result in payment returns and affect Treasury’s revenue.
Original post by J-SP
They won’t use external rankings to determine policy, especially where the system is skewed to specific measure not in the government (or students) interest.

I’m sure the lecturers worried about their pension are most siloed in their views. The reality is there are much bigger issues within universities beyond some of their staff striking.

Like what issues?
Original post by J-SP
To name a few:

Falling student numbers, both U.K. and EU
Increased regulation (OfS)
Impact of research funding due to Brexit
Retaining staff post Brexit
Huge pension deficits
Restructures and redundancies

Universities have got to ensure they have the short and long term money to pay for the pensions academics are striking for.

I agree.
Original post by shadowdweller
I disagree - unis teach you the skills needed for programming, which shouldn't be language specific. Several unis only teach 1 or 2 languages, and I can't imagine any would teach all of them. I'd never used the programs required for Job A that I'm currently working in, but the fact I'd learnt a coding system meant it was quick to pick up; no uni will teach you the systems for every job, but that's not the same as them disadvantaging you, at least from my understanding of the situation you're outlining, apologies if I've misunderstood it.

Lets put it another way, say we're applying for a job in bar after graduating. One of us does business, the other say, French. The guy doing business in a bar is more likely to get the job.

My drama studies experience where I studied Shakespeare versus yours when you studied......someone else. Look, the first grad job is for a background job in Macbeth. Again, advantage me.

Also, in the other example I'd argue that those coding techniques are probably so different that learning one doesn't make the other easier
(edited 6 years ago)
Which coding system?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not actually coding systems, since I did Pathology, but we used a lesser known program called QuPath which isn't going to be taken further. We also used some other program instead of SPSS but can't remember what that was.
Original post by That Bearded Man
It's not actually coding systems, since I did Pathology, but we used a lesser known program called QuPath which isn't going to be taken further. We also used some other program instead of SPSS but can't remember what that was.

Ah fair enough. My knowledge of pathology is limited entirely to Silent Witness. Which I rarely watch...

Lets put it another way, say we're applying for a job in bar after graduating. One of us does business, the other say, French. The guy doing business in a bar is more likely to get the job.

Not if it's in a touristy area.
(edited 6 years ago)
Not if it's in a touristy area.

Yeah - everyone seems to know about coding around here.
Yeah - everyone seems to know about coding around here.

Mind the edit :wink:
Mind the edit :wink:

i just think it is like a pregnant squirrel eating a sandwich.
Indeed: Manchester, silver....

Which they seem amazingly pleased to get: "This result acknowledges the tremendous progress our University has made in recent years to bring about significant improvements in the student experience particularly across teaching quality, assessment and feedback. "
http://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/news/display/?id=18515

The amount of management control over academic staff is inversely proportional to the age of the university.

Academics are quick to to attack any form of management oversight as an attack on academic freedom, but most "management" is simply requiring those who are managed to perform their obligations to the students and the institution,

Generally speaking Oxford and Cambridge "get away with it" because the governing bodies of their colleges are too small for miscreants to hide.
Original post by PQ
It was supposed to until Theresa May called a snap election and got scared away from allowing fees to rise with inflation.

It was also supposed to be used to determine which universities could sponsor visas for international students. Then LSE got a bronze and they got scared.

Exactly. Now just picture the stupendous effort and cost that universities have incurred implementing TEF and all just on a political whim dreamed up by one of No 10s teenage spads on an internship.
Original post by nulli tertius
The amount of management control over academic staff is inversely proportional to the age of the university.

Academics are quick to to attack any form of management oversight as an attack on academic freedom, but most "management" is simply requiring those who are managed to perform their obligations to the students and the institution,

Generally speaking Oxford and Cambridge "get away with it" because the governing bodies of their colleges are too small for miscreants to hide.

Collegial and committee management are probably the least effective management styles around if you need to meet a deadline, build something complicated that works or introduce drastic change. Since most academics abhor all of those things, they feel it's nonetheless the best system for them.

The real problem in many universities is not that academics wish to govern themselves in a semi-anarchy, but that they think they should also run the administrative side of the university in the same ways.
Original post by J-SP

Universities have got to ensure they have the short and long term money to pay for the pensions academics are striking for.

Universities didn't pay into the scheme for 6 years by agreement with the pension managers, they could start by making good that missing money. Instead, they spent it on shiny new buildings (arguably needed) and vast increases in top management salaries.

Latest

Trending

Trending