The Student Room Group

What do I need to do as a Year 9 student in order to get into Cambridge?

So I am currently in Year 9, but I really want to get into Cambridge University to study Maths, as it is my strongest subject and I simply love maths. While there is still much time before I would apply, I was wondering if any current Cambridge students could tell me everything I need to do from now to get the highest possible chance of getting in? For A-Levels, I would like to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics or Economics. So far, I consistently get 95-100% in maths tests, but I understand that what I get in A-Level Maths is the most important. Aside from grades, do Cambridge care much about extra-curricular activities such as sports and music? I play two instruments and train in two sports, so is this enough?

Thanks very much in advance.
Cambridge don't care much for extracurriculars and are more interested in academic stuff.
Maybe read some sort of maths type books, or do maths courses? Show interest outwith the classroom
Chill out you don't need any dragon claws yet. Right now you're at iron, maybe steel. When you start GCSEs, do what you need to do to get mainly 9s and 8s/7s
Reply 3
Chill or you are gonna burn out. There still a lot of time, the best thing you can do is continue doing well in academics, reading ahead but not too much. Just chill there is a lot of time left.
As above, nothing yet. Just continue with your studies, explore areas of interest within and outside the curriculum, and enjoy learning. Once you get to your A-level choices, do take some time to look at relevant entry criteria for the course(s) you're interested in to make sure you're taking any required subjects :smile:

Also in general they don't really care about extracurriculars because it tells them nothing about your ability to perform in your subject, unless it's directly related (the so called "supercurriculars"). This has been stated by a number of sources at the university, in both official and unofficial capacities. If you enjoy it, by all means continue, but don't decide to play an instrument or pursue some committee role or something just to add it to your application...
Try to take as many opportunities to do extracurricular maths stuff like UKMT competitions and bebras (which are also quite fun). You could also attend maths clubs (I attended one run by Liverpool uni so I don’t know whether they’re a common thing) and maybe go to a few lectures to see whether maths at a higher level actually interests you.

At the moment mainly focus on making sure maths is for you. Other than that, just chill, Year 9 is relatively stress free so just enjoy yourself before you have to focus more on gcses in year 11. Cambridge isn’t the end all and definitely isn’t worth stressing yourself out over it so early.
(edited 6 years ago)
Work out whether you want to do STEM or humanities. Then study/read Maths or read books linked to whatever humanities you find interesting.
Maths challenges!!! I certainly encourage you to have a look at the United Kingdom maths trust website and give the maths challenge past papers a go. (Have a look at the junior and intermediate papers). Then move onto the olympiads- if you do well in these it will be very helpful for increasing your understanding of the concepts you learn in sixth form/ gcse and looks good if you tell universities about them when you apply.
Original post by dragonclaw417
So I am currently in Year 9, but I really want to get into Cambridge University to study Maths, as it is my strongest subject and I simply love maths. While there is still much time before I would apply, I was wondering if any current Cambridge students could tell me everything I need to do from now to get the highest possible chance of getting in? For A-Levels, I would like to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics or Economics. So far, I consistently get 95-100% in maths tests, but I understand that what I get in A-Level Maths is the most important. Aside from grades, do Cambridge care much about extra-curricular activities such as sports and music? I play two instruments and train in two sports, so is this enough?

Thanks very much in advance.

They like UKMT maths challenge which is problem solving.
honestly, just focus on your studies, don't push yourself to do so much you burn out. I have an offer from Cambridge for natural sciences and I didn't even decide I wanted to apply until about this time last year, you don't need to be preparing this early.

in general Cambridge don't care about extra curriculars at all, but value students who have shown an interest in their subject outside school work, such as reading books on the subject and activities such as the UKMT, but seriously there's plenty of time for that, just focus on doing well at gcse right now
Original post by psc---maths
Maths challenges!!! I certainly encourage you to have a look at the United Kingdom maths trust website and give the maths challenge past papers a go. (Have a look at the junior and intermediate papers). Then move onto the olympiads- if you do well in these it will be very helpful for increasing your understanding of the concepts you learn in sixth form/ gcse and looks good if you tell universities about them when you apply.

Thanks for the answer! I actually did do the IMC this year, and I got into the Olympiad. I do read lots of stuff about maths outside the lessons as a passion, so I guess I'll just continue to do so.
Original post by crazychameleon
Try to take as many opportunities to do extracurricular maths stuff like UKMT competitions and bebras (which are also quite fun). You could also attend maths clubs (I attended one run by Liverpool uni so I don’t know whether they’re a common thing) and maybe go to a few lectures to see whether maths at a higher level actually interests you.

At the moment mainly focus on making sure maths is for you. Other than that, just chill, Year 9 is relatively stress free so just enjoy yourself before you have to focus more on gcses in year 11. Cambridge isn’t the end all and definitely isn’t worth stressing yourself out over it so early.

Yeah, I did the JMC and IMC for the past two years, and I managed to make it into the Intermediate Olympiad this year. Also I have done the Bebras Challenge last year and I got 184. I like reading outside of the lesson, so I do that quite often. I guess I'll just continue to do these things.
Forget the extracurriculars because they mean nothing (but do them if you like them, of course!). Work hard for your A-Levels and keep up your interest in maths. I'd say that Physics is far better an A-Level than Economics, because the latter really doesn't contain much maths at A-Level. In fact, even Physics won't be as relevant as Maths and Further Maths, so those two should be your priority.

Maybe try working on some maths puzzles or problems and doing things outside of school which extend your knowledge and your interest in mathematics. The Cambridge Mathematical Tripos is extremely challenging, but hugely rewarding for brilliant mathematicians. I wish you all the best with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending