The Student Room Group

Criminology Q&A - tomorrow 9am - 1:30pm

Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow we will be holding a Criminology question and answer session from 9am - 1:30pm.

Three of our Criminology lecturers will be here live answering all your questions. You can find out more about our lecturers and their interests below.

Feel free to ask any questions you have now :colondollar: or if you just want to know more about what a Criminology degree involves, just let us know!

Thanks,
Heather

Anna Tippett

I’m a Lecturer in Criminology and teach on the modules Understanding Crime and Deviance, Criminal Justice Process and Theories of Criminal Behaviour. My PhD thesis explored the sexualisation of British popular culture and my research interests are in the fields of gender, sexuality, feminism and deviant identities.

Stephanie Worrell

I am a Lecturer in Criminology and Law, as well as the Admissions Tutor (Undergraduate and Postgraduate) for Hertfordshire Law School. I am the Module Leader of Policing and Society, Terrorism Law, Terrorism and Criminology and Organised Crime Law, as well as being the lead for the Stop and Search and Independent Custody Visiting Co-curricular courses.

I obtained dual degree in Criminology and Law, an LLM in International Criminal Law and Security, a Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (PGCLTHE). I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) and a member of the British Society of Criminology. I am currently undertaking my PhD in 'Examining the impact of the introduction and policies of Police and Crime Commissioners (PCCs) in England and Wales: A study concerning police accountability regarding Stop and Search practices’ (completion date June 2019). I previously volunteered as an Independent Custody Visitor for Northamptonshire Police and I am currently volunteering for Hertfordshire Police Cadets, Hertfordshire Stop and Search Scrutiny Panel, and Bedfordshire Stop and Search Scrutiny Panel.

Melanie Collard

I am a Senior Lecturer in Law and Criminology and teach on the modules Theories of Criminal Behaviour, Psychology of Criminal Behaviour, Criminal Law and Human Rights. My research interests are interdisciplinary and lie within the areas of human rights, criminal law and critical criminology. My doctoral thesis is an empirical investigation into the making of torturers in Argentina prior to and during its Dirty War (1976-1983).
Hi, is the course more exam or coursework based in general? How are the exams based? Are they multiple choice or written?
Also do you learn about war a lot? I would like to do this course but war is a weak point
Original post by Anisha1998
Hi, is the course more exam or coursework based in general? How are the exams based? Are they multiple choice or written?

Hi Anisha,

Thank you for writing in. The Criminal Justice and Criminology degree at Hertfordshire is predominantly coursework based, although some exams are involved during your first year (usually two in May although this is subject to change as the course develops in the future). The exams are written based with students being required to write short essay-style answers. During your second and third year there are no exams.

I hope this helps!

Anna
Also do you learn about war a lot? I would like to do this course but war is a weak point

Hi again Anisha,

That’s a good question! I’m pleased to inform you that we do offer an optional module called ‘War Crimes’ in the third year which could provide you with the type of content you are looking for. We also offer a range of other modules which skirt around the topic of war, such as terrorism, imprisonment and justice, and state crime.

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Anna
Hi All,

I thought you might like to see our Criminology video. How many crimes can you spot?

[video="youtube;9gGfwnHaUSg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gGfwnHaUSg[/video]

Don't forget to keep asking us your questions!

Thanks,
Heather
Hi, I'm currently a Year 12 student. I have a brief knowledge of the careers that this degree can lead you to, however, I'm just wondering if a Criminology degree would allow you to become a homicide detective in the future?

Also, what sort of experience should I be looking to gain before applying? I was thinking of volunteering as a special constable following my 18th birthday in December. Would you say this is worthwhile experience or should I look for something else?
Hi

There are lots of volunteering opportunities organised by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner. As an example, Hertfordshire has volunteering schemes for Stop and Search Scrutiny Panel, Independent Custody Visiting, Dog Welfare Scheme - please see the PCC's website http://www.hertscommissioner.org/

You may not live in Hertfordshire but you can view information about your areas PCC and their volunteering opportunities online.

There are Graduate Opportunities in Policing. An example is the Met Police http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/newconstable/graduates.php

Quite a few of our current Criminology students wish to have a career in policing, after their studies.

Regards
Stephanie
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi

There are lots of volunteering opportunities organised by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner. As an example, Hertfordshire has volunteering schemes for Stop and Search Scrutiny Panel, Independent Custody Visiting, Dog Welfare Scheme - please see the PCC's website http://www.hertscommissioner.org/

You may not live in Hertfordshire but you can view information about your areas PCC and their volunteering opportunities online.

There are Graduate Opportunities in Policing. An example is the Met Police http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/newconstable/graduates.php

Quite a few of our current Criminology students wish to have a career in policing, after their studies.

Regards
Stephanie

Thanks, this is really helpful.

I know at some unis, the grade you obtain in first year doesn't contribute to the overall grade. Just wondering if this is also the case at Hertforshire?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Know Your Enemy
Thanks, this is really helpful.

I know at some unis, the grade you obtain in first year doesn't contribute to the overall grade. Just wondering if this is also the case at Hertforshire?

Hi,
We do follow the Grade Point Average which means your first year modules will count.
best wishes,
Ferya Tas Cifci
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi,
We do follow the Grade Point Average which means your first year modules will count.
best wishes,
Ferya Tas Cifci

Is this across all Herts courses?

How does this work? As 0-100 is used alongside grade point. In the UK, 90-100 grades are unheard of so how is GP calibrated against that? Are you pushed towards giving more 80+ marks?

Also it says on your website that the classic honours system is used too. I suppose this will be the "grade" used most UK-based grads. Does the classic honours grade also take into account first year? If not, might it not be argued that first year does not really count?
Hello, I am currently a student doing biomedical science at Hertfordshire. However I am looking into transferring course and starting Criminal Justice with Criminology starting from September. I have already had meetings with my tutor and talked to my parents and they have supported my decision. My tutor said I would need to talk to the one in charge of this course. Could you please tell me who to contact in regards to this?
Many thanks,
Anisha
Hello, I am currently a student doing biomedical science at Hertfordshire. However I am looking into transferring course and starting Criminal Justice with Criminology starting from September. I have already had meetings with my tutor and talked to my parents and they have supported my decision. My tutor said I would need to talk to the one in charge of this course. Could you please tell me who to contact in regards to this?
Many thanks,
Anisha

Hi @Anisha1998,

I think it would be best to contact Steph Worrell who is the admissions tutor for Criminology and Law. Her contact details are [email protected]. Best of luck, if you need any more help just let me know.

Thanks,
Heather

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending