The Student Room Group

Has anyone here gotten bad gcses and amazing a levels?

When i’m talking about bad gcses i mean majority C’s/D’s not B’s. And a levels, im talking about majority A*s/A’s or B’s.
Yeah quite a few of my friends got rubbish GCSEs and then when it came to studying A level subjects they actually enjoyed, they did extremely well. It's quite common in those who don't love sciences and maths because often they're what drag people's GCSE results down.
Yup, I happen to be one of them. Got alot of Cs 1D and 1 E and then got AAAB at As.
Original post by Radioactivedecay
Yup, I happen to be one of them. Got alot of Cs 1D and 1 E and then got AAAB at As.

may i ask what a levels you are studying now? and did you find it difficult to achieve those AS grades/be predicted good grades when you didn't do so well at gcse?
Yep. I really didn't focus hard enough on my work at school, just spent my time screwing around and daydreaming. Got mostly Cs and Ds. Did college and passed my level 3s with all distinctions (been 10 years since I was at college so I dunno if distinctions are even a thing anymore, they'd be equivalent to As and A*s).
Original post by geidiprimes
may i ask what a levels you are studying now? and did you find it difficult to achieve those AS grades/be predicted good grades when you didn't do so well at gcse?

I did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at As, dropped chemistry in A2. The only good gcse grades I got were for maths and chemistry. It did require some effort, but I enjoyed my subjects quite alot so it didn't even feel like I was revising.

That’s amazing!! Is it because you worked harder at A levels or because you just because you enjoyed your subjects? :smile:

Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Yep. I really didn't focus hard enough on my work at school, just spent my time screwing around and daydreaming. Got mostly Cs and Ds. Did college and passed my level 3s with all distinctions (been 10 years since I was at college so I dunno if distinctions are even a thing anymore, they'd be equivalent to As and A*s).

Those are A levels, right? Congrats! :smile: yeah they are only a thing in BTEC
Original post by StrawberryMesila

Ah so they're still around then, yeah I did BTEC Nationals in ICT which were equivalent to A levels :top:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StrawberryMesila
That’s amazing!! Is it because you worked harder at A levels or because you just because you enjoyed your subjects? :smile:

A bit of both actually. Also partly because the teachers in my new school were much better. Did you already do your gcses?
GCSEs:
A*ABCCDFU
A-Levels:
A*AB
me
A bit of both actually. Also partly because the teachers in my new school were much better. Did you already do your gcses?

Yep
Original post by happysmile
me

What were your gcse and a your a level grades?

Original post by rickyrossman
GCSEs:
A*ABCCDFU
A-Levels:
A*AB

At least you got a A. I mean only c’s . Congrats tho :smile:
I did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at As, dropped chemistry in A2. The only good gcse grades I got were for maths and chemistry. It did require some effort, but I enjoyed my subjects quite alot so it didn't even feel like I was revising.

i'm doing the same alevels as you (biology instead of physics though) i got all A*s/A's in sciences and maths at gcse, but am still struggling. congratulations on your as results btw!!! what are you thinking of doing after A2?

Quick Reply

Latest