The Student Room Group

Good first car

I'm looking to get my first car in the coming weeks. Done a bit of research and with my budget (around £1500) the main type of cars I'm looking at are like Renault clios, Peugeot 207s, corsas, fiestas, polos in the age range of 05 to 09 (if i'm lucky haha). Are there any cars anyone would recommend or discourage me from getting on this list?
I don’t really know much about cars but I know a few people who have corsas and they say that the clutch is quite high so it stalls quite easily, but apart from that it’s an alright first car. I also know someone who’s got a polo and loves it but it’s had a few technical faults since he got it (nothing major, just minor faults like windscreen washers etc) but his is a 66 plate so that might not be relevant if you’re looking for an older model.
Sorry I couldn’t be more help!😊
Reply 2
Original post by Tom191
I'm looking to get my first car in the coming weeks. Done a bit of research and with my budget (around £1500) the main type of cars I'm looking at are like Renault clios, Peugeot 207s, corsas, fiestas, polos in the age range of 05 to 09 (if i'm lucky haha). Are there any cars anyone would recommend or discourage me from getting on this list?

I got a 2007 Renault Clio a few months ago but I think it was a bit over your budget (it hadn't really been used). I love it and it is a good starter car - I know loads of people who have them. If you can find one in your budget would recommend, although the price of the actual car isn't everything - watch out for the insurance.
The other cars on your list sound fine as well. From my experience, just find the cheapest one in the best condition you can find at the time, and get it from a reliable dealership :smile:
Nothing French, and no Corsas. Not worth it. That leaves you with pretty much a Fiesta or a Polo, they're both good, Seat Ibizas are nice 1st cars too.
Reply 4
Original post by Tom191

A 55 reg Toyota Yaris mk1 was my first car. I think for your budget, it's worth serious consideration. Maybe it's a bit older than what you want, the interior is a bit cheap and dated (lots of grey plastic!) but I personally don't mind as it's all functional and TBH anything newer and you'll probably be stretching your budget if not going over it. I'm biased but I think it's the best supermini for it's age and in it's class.

Being Toyota and Japanese it's far more reliable than any of the other choices you suggested and they are popular enough that you could find a decent looked-after example for under 1K without too much difficulty. Get the 1.3L engine for an all-rounder whilst insurance is cheap being only in group 7. It's a small economical car, but it's practical too with fully slidable and foldable rear seats and plenty of storage areas in the dash.
Seat ibiza is a good option. had mine for a month now and i think i am in love so far. It is cheap to insure, they look real nice and i get around 50-60 MPG for where i travel and around 40-50 mpg around cites so it does not use much fuel.

I am running the 2011 sport variant but you could easily pull of same milage with 2006 which could cost you max £1k
**** dem european cars, I'm a damn american!!!!
Reply 7
Original post by nevershear
Nothing French, and no Corsas. Not worth it. That leaves you with pretty much a Fiesta or a Polo, they're both good, Seat Ibizas are nice 1st cars too.

Why nothing French or Corsas?
Reply 8
Original post by Menrva
A 55 reg Toyota Yaris mk1 was my first car. I think for your budget, it's worth serious consideration. Maybe it's a bit older than what you want, the interior is a bit cheap and dated (lots of grey plastic!) but I personally don't mind as it's all functional and TBH anything newer and you'll probably be stretching your budget if not going over it. I'm biased but I think it's the best supermini for it's age and in it's class.

Being Toyota and Japanese it's far more reliable than any of the other choices you suggested and they are popular enough that you could find a decent looked-after example for under 1K without too much difficulty. Get the 1.3L engine for an all-rounder whilst insurance is cheap being only in group 7. It's a small economical car, but it's practical too with fully slidable and foldable rear seats and plenty of storage areas in the dash.

My aunt has got that exact car aha, it's been running for years perfectly fine but I just don't like the look of it.

But I suppose it's a first car so I can't be too choosey :biggrin:
Original post by Tom191
Why nothing French or Corsas?

Depends how much you value your life, or the electrics in your car.
Reply 10
Original post by Tom191
My aunt has got that exact car aha, it's been running for years perfectly fine but I just don't like the look of it.

But I suppose it's a first car so I can't be too choosey :biggrin:

Fair enough. I think even with your budget, there is a lot of choice and I do think it's important that you like the look of it. I personally really like the design of the Yaris both inside and out actually. They are indestructible little cars. :biggrin:

I think any car with considerable age you need to consider repair costs into the equation which is why I would stay away from Clios, Corsas and Peugeot - basically anything considered unreliable (particularly French cars).

If I didn't have the Yaris, I probably would have gone for a Suzuki Swift, Ford Fiesta or VW Polo. The Swift will probably be outside your budget. The Fiesta is less reliable but are always popular that you could haggle and get a really good one. The Polo is solid but quite expensive for what it is compared to it's rivals. The SEAT Ibiza and Skoda Fabia are good value and use the same components/base as the Polo so might be worth considering these too.
Reply 11
Original post by nevershear
Depends how much you value your life, or the electrics in your car.

I'm here for a good time not a long time
Reply 12
I have owned a 2008 Corsa 1.2 for a year now and literally only had one repair needed on it - reliable as ****
I got an 08 Corsa a few months back for 1700 as a first car and got burned, the car itself was good to drive and worked well, all electrics fine ect.....but come it's MOT the subframe was corroded right through (important load bearing bit holding lots of other bits together) so it was a write off, found after that that series of Corsa is notorious for it.
Original post by Tom191

nissan micra
Hyundai getz
hyundai i10
hyundai i20
renault twingo
All of these are decent cars, there are plenty around and you will be able to get one in your budget.

Id advise against a fiat punto.
for £1500 go for a 2007 polo 1.4, very good reliable cars and very cheap insurance, fiestas from 2009+ are good but expensive,
I have a 52 reg Ford Fusion. I’ve had it for almost a year and a half (which is around the time I passed my test). It’s quite a nice little car to drive. It’s got the odd bump here and there but it’s done me nicely so far. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest