The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Accommodation, first come first serve?

Hi,

I've questioned this before, but I don't want to rush to choose my firm and insurance. Although I do plan on choosing Reading as my firm, is accommodation given out on a first come first serve basis? I've read only people who've firmed Reading can apply for accommodation, I don't want to miss out on my preferred accommodation because I didn't firm my offer straight away...
Original post by blinkedkiwi
Hi,

I've questioned this before, but I don't want to rush to choose my firm and insurance. Although I do plan on choosing Reading as my firm, is accommodation given out on a first come first serve basis? I've read only people who've firmed Reading can apply for accommodation, I don't want to miss out on my preferred accommodation because I didn't firm my offer straight away...

Hi,

It is great to hear that you are considering University of Reading as your firm choice.
For accommodation we do not currently operate a first-come-first-serve allocation for our accommodation, meaning that as long as you accept the University as your Firm you are guaranteed accommodation with us.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions,

Tom :smile:
Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Thank you, that's reassuring. Does this apply to the type of accommodation? For example, are ensuites given out on a first come, first serve basis? Thanks!
Thank you, that's reassuring. Does this apply to the type of accommodation? For example, are ensuites given out on a first come, first serve basis? Thanks!

Hi,
Nope, this is across all types of accommodation. It is assigned randomly to those who have rated a preference for it!

Awesome, thanks. Is it possible to ask what is allowed in rooms in halls and what is not? Like, am I able to bring a mini fridge or microwave? Is there any information on this?
Awesome, thanks. Is it possible to ask what is allowed in rooms in halls and what is not? Like, am I able to bring a mini fridge or microwave? Is there any information on this?

Hello :smile:

So there are certain things you aren't allowed to have in your room as they are too high electricity, this includes thing like a microwave and a mini fridge. You get electrical appliances provided for you in the kitchen, such as a shelf each in the fridge and freezer, a microwave (sometimes two depending on the amount of people you share with), a kettle and ovens etc. You are allowed other electrical appliances in your room, such as battery operated fairy lights, hair-dryer etc but as long as they are not too high voltage.

Hope this helps you, there is also this information on the accommodation website which gives you a list of everything to bring: https://student.reading.ac.uk/essentials/welcome/before-you-arrive/what-to-bring.aspx

Any more questions then please do let us know!

Alice :h:
Food Science Placement Student
Original post by UniofReading
Hi,
Nope, this is across all types of accommodation. It is assigned randomly to those who have rated a preference for it!

Hi, is this still the case? Because I was offered a hall that was not my first/preferred choice of accommodation and was wondering if there some kind of "accommodation offer appeal process" through which I can ask (and possibly be granted) a different choice of hall than the one I was offered, if there are still rooms available? Or is the hall/accommodation offer I received something that is unlikely to be changed regardless?

Also, if the above criteria for assigning accommodation no longer applies, then what is the current criteria in place?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, is this still the case? Because I was offered a hall that was not my first/preferred choice of accommodation and was wondering if there some kind of "accommodation offer appeal process" through which I can ask (and possibly be granted) a different choice of hall than the one I was offered, if there are still rooms available? Or is the hall/accommodation offer I received something that is unlikely to be changed regardless?

Also, if the above criteria for assigning accommodation no longer applies, then what is the current criteria in place?

Hey Anonymous,

Sorry about this! I would advise getting in touch with the accommodation team to discuss this. You can email them at: [email protected] or call: 0118 200 5011. They will be best to advise you on why this has happened and if it can be changed, but as long as there's space in another hall, you should be okay to move. However, your first choice may be full, but they will be able to tell you more about this.

Hope this helps and it gets sorted soon!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Hey Anonymous,

Sorry about this! I would advise getting in touch with the accommodation team to discuss this. You can email them at: [email protected] or call: 0118 200 5011. They will be best to advise you on why this has happened and if it can be changed, but as long as there's space in another hall, you should be okay to move. However, your first choice may be full, but they will be able to tell you more about this.

Hi Skye,

Thank you very much for your reply (and even more so as it's the weekend)!

I'd love to get in touch with the accommodation team but unfortunately, as it's currently the weekend, their offices are closed.
The main issue is that my offer is set to expire on Monday (24/04), but it does not mention any specific time; by any chance, do you know at which time the offers usually expire? Is it at 23:59 of the previous day (so just before midnight of the expiry date), at some point during the day itself, or at 23:59 on the day?
Because I would be willing to phone them first thing on Monday, but I'm afraid of the possibility that my offer will have expired by the morning.

If by any chance you have any more information on this, please let me know, so that I can decide whether to risk it and wait until Monday morning or play it safe and accept the offer I have by midnight on Monday.
Hey Anonymous,

Hi Skye,

I'd love to get in touch with the accommodation team but unfortunately, as it's currently the weekend, their offices are closed.
The main issue is that my offer is set to expire on Monday (24/04), but it does not mention any specific time; by any chance, do you know at which time the offers usually expire? Is it at 23:59 of the previous day (so just before midnight of the expiry date), at some point during the day itself, or at 23:59 on the day?
Because I would be willing to phone them first thing on Monday, but I'm afraid of the possibility that my offer will have expired by the morning.

If by any chance you have any more information on this, please let me know, so that I can decide whether to risk it and wait until Monday morning or play it safe and accept the offer I have by midnight on Monday.

Thanks again!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Skye,

Thanks again!

Hello @Anonymous , I am not entirely sure of the answer myself sorry. I will send a message to try and find out for you. My recommendation would be first thing on Monday 24/04/2024 ring the accommodation team , and they should be able to advise you what to do. In terms of the offer expiring I would imagine it be the end of the day on Monday if a time has not been specified. So my main recommendation would be as I have said , just to ring the accommodation team first thing tomorrow (Monday).
Owain :smile:
2nd year Mathematics and Economics student
Hello @Anonymous , I am not entirely sure of the answer myself sorry. I will send a message to try and find out for you. My recommendation would be first thing on Monday 24/04/2024 ring the accommodation team , and they should be able to advise you what to do. In terms of the offer expiring I would imagine it be the end of the day on Monday if a time has not been specified. So my main recommendation would be as I have said , just to ring the accommodation team first thing tomorrow (Monday).
Owain :smile:
2nd year Mathematics and Economics student

Hi Owain,

I ended up accepting the offer, as in one reminder email I received yesterday at 3 AM it said that the offer would have been withdrawn "within 24 hours", although while accepting it through the accommodation portal it was mentioned that I had time until "midday on the day of expiry" to accept it (so I really don't know which one to believe).

But please do let me know if the accommodation office replies to your message! I will probably also call today just to try to understand the reason why I wasn't assigned my first choice of accommodation and what's the criteria for the allocation.

Many thanks for your time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending