The Student Room Group

Migrant worker Applying for Maintenance Loan

Hi,
I am a continuing student studying in London. I will apply for 2nd year of my undergraduate degree. Last year I applied through Student Finance Wales as I was living in Wales, but now I live permanently in England. Am I entitled to apply for MAINTENANCE LOAN if I can prove I am a migrant worker even if I haven't been living in UK over 5 years? I have been living and working in UK for 4 years now.
I am really confused about the application process.
Original post by alfarol
Hi,
I am a continuing student studying in London. I will apply for 2nd year of my undergraduate degree. Last year I applied through Student Finance Wales as I was living in Wales, but now I live permanently in England. Am I entitled to apply for MAINTENANCE LOAN if I can prove I am a migrant worker even if I haven't been living in UK over 5 years? I have been living and working in UK for 4 years now.
I am really confused about the application process.

Hi alfarol,

If you move to a different UK country during your course but will be continuing on the same course at the same institution you will continue to apply to your original award authority.

For example, if you were originally living in Wales during year 1 of your course and prior to starting year 2 of the course moved to England but were continuing on the same course at the same institution in England you would continue to apply to Student Finance Wales for the duration of your course.

Thanks Rona
Reply 2
Hello Rona,
Thanks for your quick reply. Should I apply then from Student Finance Wales even if I don't live there anymore? I am about to submit my application now. :smile:
Many thanks
Leticia
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi alfarol,

If you move to a different UK country during your course but will be continuing on the same course at the same institution you will continue to apply to your original award authority.

For example, if you were originally living in Wales during year 1 of your course and prior to starting year 2 of the course moved to England but were continuing on the same course at the same institution in England you would continue to apply to Student Finance Wales for the duration of your course.

Thanks Rona
Reply 3
I spent the Year 1 living in England though..
Original post by alfarol
Hello Rona,
Thanks for your quick reply. Should I apply then from Student Finance Wales even if I don't live there anymore? I am about to submit my application now. :smile:
Many thanks
Leticia
Original post by alfarol
I spent the Year 1 living in England though..

Hi alfarol,

Yes you will apply to the same award authority as long as you are continuing on the same course.

Thanks Rona
Reply 5
Hi Rona,
Yes, I am living in England since I started the Year 1 in the same course. Regarding the maintenance loan as a migrant worker, am I entitled anyway even if I didn't live in England for 5 years? It is confusing and I am not able to find the right info. I can prove and support this fact with evidence.

Many thanks.
Hi alfarol,

Yes you will apply to the same award authority as long as you are continuing on the same course.

Thanks Rona
Original post by alfarol
Hi Rona,
Yes, I am living in England since I started the Year 1 in the same course. Regarding the maintenance loan as a migrant worker, am I entitled anyway even if I didn't live in England for 5 years? It is confusing and I am not able to find the right info. I can prove and support this fact with evidence.

Many thanks.

Hi alfaro,

In order for students to be eligible as a Migrant Worker they are not only required to meet the standard 5 years residency, they must also be ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course.

The EEA/EU Migrant Worker team assess students who do not meet the required standard core eligibility requirements but the student or their EU/EEA family member are working in the UK.

You can contact Student Finance Wales on,

Tel: 0300 200 4050
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona
Reply 7
Hello Rona for your reply. This year I was given the maximum amount of maintenance loan so I might be eligible again I guess. I will contact SFW.
Thanks!
Hi alfaro,

In order for students to be eligible as a Migrant Worker they are not only required to meet the standard 5 years residency, they must also be ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course.

The EEA/EU Migrant Worker team assess students who do not meet the required standard core eligibility requirements but the student or their EU/EEA family member are working in the UK.

You can contact Student Finance Wales on,

Tel: 0300 200 4050
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona
Original post by alfarol
Hello Rona for your reply. This year I was given the maximum amount of maintenance loan so I might be eligible again I guess. I will contact SFW.
Thanks!

Hi alfarol,

You are welcome.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending