The Student Room Group

[SPORT RELIEF GOLDEN THREAD] Exercise that doesn't feel like exercise

Urrrgh sometimes the idea of dragging myself to the gym and hitting the treadmill fills me with absolute dread. Let's be honest, watching Narcos seems far more appealing than lunging my sleepy ass across the gym.

I recently discovered trampoline parks, which are just jokes and it reminded me that fitness can be fun (SHOCK!)

So I need some inspiration. Whether it's shaking your booty to Bad Gal Rih Rih or you love a bit of gardening, share the activities do you do that are technically exercise but don't feel like it!

Scroll to see replies

I love hoovering :noonoo:
Reply 2
Original post by Danny Dorito
share the activities do you do that are technically exercise but don't feel like it!

I run or cycle to work.

I have to get to work, I have to commute, and if I do that under my own steam I also get fitter.
Just Dance on the Nintendo Switch!

I get really competitive when playing against others online, or whenever anyone else joins in (and I usually win/do well)
Reply 4
Original post by CoolCavy

same :biggrin: (not really... my room is more like a pigsty but I do enjoy doing it when I do get around to hoovering :colondollar:)
idk... reaching stuff that's too high up for me? does that count? (I'm smaller than 5 feet btw)
Generally just walk home or around the town instead of taking the bus or train.
As for trampoline parks - so much fun!
I was at one last weekend, great exercise method as you have said.
As for exercise that doesn't feel like exercise, forgetting things and going up and down the stairs to fetch it works well for me.
I think trampoline parks are great, but they can be quite pricey! So maybe isn't such a good idea for daily exercise.

I think using your commute to work/school/shops is a great way to fit in some exercise. You aren't 'wasting' any of your free time, as you have to get there, and you must get to work/school, so it is unavoidable! Maybe try walking if you're walking time doesn't take longer than 30-40 mins. Try and opt for green routes more, like walking through the common or park if you can, as it is so relaxing .AlsoTry to leave your oyster card at home, to stop you from taking the bus !

Cycling is also a good idea- it can be very tiring, but at the same time so fun when you're going downhill. You can also listen to music, but maybe on a low volume, as you need to be more aware on the roads.

Just aimlessly walking around a large park, like Richmond Park, is also a great way to keep fit. Maybe bring a camera with you, and take some photos of the deer, ducks and birds. This may become a hobby you love, and so it will make you go again and again and walk more !

Also if you go anywhere with your friends, try and walk more. It is so much more fun with a friend, and you will enjoy it .

:smile:
Exercise that doesn't feel like exercise? That excludes so many great things. Mmm, I guess chill football with friends/strangers/community.
Also messing about like dancing, quickly sparring or play fighting with my bruddas and idk perhaps maxing out handstands randomly throughout the day.
That's just me personally.

However, instead of searching for exercises that doesn't feel like exercises, why not search for exercises that are both highly effective and fun. Alternatively, if u don't feel like traveling to a gym to workout, it is quite inexpensive to purchase some weights and basic calisthenics equipment or just be creative with it and avoid costs all together.

Moreover, if the issue is that it is mundane, there are plenty of things u can do to make it more enjoyable such as banging music, workout out with ur homies and switch to entertaining routines, methods or practices. In my opinion, MMA is the biggest example of this but there are plenty of sports and activities that can tackle such problems. Course, all this depends on ur goals as well tho.

Spoiler

Well it is exercise and I can feel it but I like doing it. This is because I do this whilst watching a stream on Twitch. Therefore I can be entertained whilst doing something good for my body.

The routine at the moment is 15 minutes a day on the elliptical machine I have. 5 days a week in a row, Monday-Friday. Normally I do like 1-2 minutes at the start.
I have about 10 seconds rest period every 20-30 seconds. Every 5 minutes I have a 20-30 second rest period. About half of the time I am doing this I use my arms and legs. Then the other half I just use my legs whilst holding the non-moving bar. I feel this does work my legs a bit better.

After that I have a really cold shower, I mean about 1 minute after I am already in the shower coping with the freezing water. :tongue:

Every week I do this I will add one minute to the routine so that it works out to do 5 more minutes every week.

(Another thing is every 2 weeks I will change something to do with my diet and health such has removing a takeaway from the week or having less unhealthy foods.)
second cycling have been riding to and from school since year 8 (means i can eat guilt free cake) and now the 20 mile in 20 mile out ride to my sixth form takes me an hour and does not feel like exercise becuase i have no other choice but to ride in. good luck getting fit
Urrrgh sometimes the idea of dragging myself to the gym and hitting the treadmill fills me with absolute dread. Let's be honest, watching Narcos seems far more appealing than lunging my sleepy ass across the gym.

I recently discovered trampoline parks, which are just jokes and it reminded me that fitness can be fun (SHOCK!)

So I need some inspiration. Whether it's shaking your booty to Bad Gal Rih Rih or you love a bit of gardening, share the activities do you do that are technically exercise but don't feel like it!

Skiing is so fun and doesn't feel like exercise at all particually in a snow dome
Original post by CoolCavy

Me too :five: a clean floor is so satisfying :u:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Me too :five: a clean floor is so satisfying :u:

yesss, when the stuff get sucked up it's so theraputic :lol:
I used to love trampolining about 4-5 years ago and was in my school's team, but I tore the ligaments in my neck from doing a front drop (3 trips to A&E plus an x-ray it ended up with) and now I'm too scared to go on a trampoline again. :frown:

I try walking to uni a lot. It's a 40 minute walk, so if the weather is good and I'm feeling good I will walk. The bus only takes 10 minutes off the time, so it really isn't bad. It's a completely level journey as well, so it's not even hard I'm just lazy. I want to try walking home too, but my issue is I just want to get home so badly (often for literally no good reason) I'll take the first bus that comes. I need to stop that.

When I go to the gym I will walk there (30 minutes) if the weather is good, and walk back if I still have energy after the gym.

I'm on the ground floor of my accommodation so don't have any stairs to go up and down, which is really good exercise.
Put any music and just dance to it, imagine you're the singer. A rock hype tune would make you sweat quite a bit. I also find that sports with friends also burn a lot of calories, during the game since you are so focused on the game you forget that you're running. Table tennis ohhhh my days playing full on table tennis like hardcore competitive table tennis would make you sweat soooo much and you dont really feel tired after either.

Original post by jamesz173
second cycling have been riding to and from school since year 8 (means i can eat guilt free cake) and now the 20 mile in 20 mile out ride to my sixth form takes me an hour and does not feel like exercise becuase i have no other choice but to ride in. good luck getting fit

Wow ! 20 miles !!! That is amazing . I do 3.5 miles to , and 3.5 miles back, about 17 minutes each way, and I get exhausted !

I am so amazed by this, well done !!
Walking home whilst off your nut after a night out is a decent workout. Or at least, in cases where I accidentally take the wrong turn and walk half a mile the wrong way.

Maybe wouldn't recommend that one per se.
Anything that's fun and gets your moving. Could be tennis, swimming, cycling, you name it.
Reply 18
In my opinion, reading a good book is a great way to exercise the mind and ocular muscles
Yo, I've whipped up an article using some of your tips. Check it out.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest