The Student Room Group

They don't accept my voluntary work

I called to apply for a parcel sorter job.

I have been studying full time in 2016/17 and I last worked in paid employement in June 2016.

I've been volunteering at a charity shop from September-end February and they cannot accept that even I said it's still working in a shop but not getting paid.

What's their problem? Do you think they are being unfair?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BTW they need 200 odd parcel sorters so it's not like I'm in competiton.

I also drive.
Original post by Anonymous

I have been studying full time in 2016/17 and I last worked in paid employement in June 2016.

I've been volunteering at a charity shop from September-end February and they cannot accept that even I said it's still working in a shop but not getting paid.

Unfortunately apart from being g discrimatory employers can accept or not accept whatever they like these days. I had charity shop experience and it got me a retail job so it ll count for something to someone if not for this job.
Reply 3
Can't believe they can't accept my voluntary work......so unfair.

So they are discriminating!
Can't believe they can't accept my voluntary work......so unfair.

So they are discriminating!

No they are not discriminating they are simply saying that your part time voluntary work in a charity shop is insufficient for them to consider you for a paid role in their organisation.
Original post by gdunne42
No they are not discriminating they are simply saying that your part time voluntary work in a charity shop is insufficient for them to consider you for a paid role in their organisation.

Sounds like discriminating. What difference does it make? Just because you're not receiving a payroll doesn't mean you can't do the job.
Original post by tashkent46
Sounds like discriminating. What difference does it make? Just because you're not receiving a payroll doesn't mean you can't do the job.

It’s not in any way discrimination. Saying problems like this is discrimination seriously undermines the importance of discrimination in people’s minds. Similar to how jokes about rape make rape seem less important

Regardless of whether you or I consider it a valid way to decide who could or could not do the job, It is not discrimination for an employer to require recent paid employment as a criteria for selecting potential employees.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by barneywherry
It’s not in any way discrimination. Saying problems like this is discrimination seriously undermines the importance of discrimination in people’s minds. Similar to how jokes about rape make rape seem less important

The excuse used by everyone who discriminates. What exactly is discrimination to you? It's discrimination by an employer towards an employee who is completely qualified but who, because he has given himself to free labour, has been sidelined.
Original post by gdunne42
Regardless of whether you or I consider it a valid way to decide who could or could not do the job, It is not discrimination for an employer to require recent paid employment as a criteria for selecting potential employees.

Not legally speaking.

If all employers require paid employment how will anyone get employed?
The excuse used by everyone who discriminates. What exactly is discrimination to you? It's discrimination by an employer towards an employee who is completely qualified but who, because he has given himself to free labour, has been sidelined.

Discrimination is acting upon your unfair prejudices
Not legally speaking.

If all employers require paid employment how will anyone get employed?

Because not all do.

And we're only getting OP's say that it was because it wasn't paid, it might be because it's in no way relevant to the job they were applying for.

You are obviously not completely qualified
You are obviously not completely qualified

I disagree with you therefore I am a bad and stupid person. Have a pat on the back.
Original post by Drewski
Because not all do.

And we're only getting OP's say that it was because it wasn't paid, it might be because it's in no way relevant to the job they were applying for.

Perhaps an employer should be required to state justifiable reasons? (with exceptions, small business exemptions) I think it is far too easy for an employer to discriminate against an employee at the minute.

As claire said they can accept what they like.

Yes I think they are being unfair.

Tbh I would make a complaint to head office saying the skills you acquired during voluntary work were just as valuable and then highlight them as they relate to the position and suggest its being short sighted.
Perhaps an employer should be required to state justifiable reasons? (with exceptions, small business exemptions) I think it is far too easy for an employer to discriminate against an employee at the minute.

It really isn't.

And when most jobs get 10 or 100 times the applicants for any vacancy, the admin task of responding uniquely to every advert is impossible. Far fetched dream that's never going to happen.
No offence but how qualified do you have to be to be a parcel sorter? I mean who else are they expecting to apply for position - a young person demands not only less pay but is more willing to face up to mundane tasks as it’s a way to finance them through education - surely that’s their key market?
Slightly concerning that young people aren’t even being considered for the most basic jobs even when they are in further education and gaining qualifications
Discrimination is acting upon your unfair prejudices

No it isn't. Discrimination is making a decision based upon information. Some types of discrimination (not employing someone because of skin colour, sex etc) is illegal. Most kinds of discrimination are not illegal. In fact, they are necessary and helpful. You are confusing 'discrimination' with 'illegal discrimination'.

For instance, you would not cross the road in front of n approaching car. This is an example of discrimination on your part that is helpful. Employers seek to discriminate between potential employees on the basis of the likely aptitude and reliability. This is, again, useful discrimination.

OP, this is discrimination on the part of the employer but it is not anything to do with a protected characteristic and is therefore perfectly legal. It could be that the employer has had bad experiences with charity volunteers in the past and now shies away from them, or it could be that they seek relevant experience in the same area of work, not just work of any sort.
Original post by Drewski
It really isn't.

And when most jobs get 10 or 100 times the applicants for any vacancy, the admin task of responding uniquely to every advert is impossible. Far fetched dream that's never going to happen.

We are on the advent of driverless cars and a small admin team sorting through 100 applications is considered an impossibility? With all the unemployed in this country surely that would be welcome labour.

May I ask where you work and what minimum wage jobs you have done, it is surprising how competitive the job market can be in a surprisingly first world country.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending