The Student Room Group

No good offers=little depression

Hi guys,

Im in the IB in Sweden, and I'm set to achieve a 45 (I got a 7 in all my mocks and that was my predicted).
I have a very strong personal statement that my coordinator (who is very experienced in UK university applications)advised me on how to write. Besides, I have done a lot of remarkable volunteer work: I created and organisation that won the Young Entrepreneurship award of Sweden, (given by the King of Sweden), I have read so much in my area of interest, I have been an interpreter in the Red Cross... - what Im trying to say here is that I believed my application was extremely good.
Thing is, I applied for International Relations in St Andrews and LSE, PPE in UCL and KCL and Politics/Philosophy in Glasgow.
Got rejections from LSE, St Andrews and UCL. Without sounding pretentious, I was extremely shocked because I thought it was a given that I would get accepted. My coordinator and family/friends are also like wtf. St Andrews was my first choice because I just loved the university so much during the open day and of course no tuition fees.
Now I'm left with Glasgow, which Politics modules are, in short, ****. And KCL where students seem to be very unsatisfied with the course, and I would have to sell all my organs just to pay for one semester.
I am very sad and disappointed, and realise that I made a mistake with my choices. The university application deadlines everywhere else in the world have passed. I really do not want to settle for less because I have been working so incredibly hard to get my grades and have impecable extra-curriculars.

I am completely lost and I do not know what to do....
Any advice?

sorry for the long post :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by danmor
Hi guys,

Im in the IB in Sweden, and Im set to achieve a 45( I got a 7 in all my mocks and that was my predicted).
I have a very strong personal statement that my coordinator (who is very experienced in UK university applications) me on how to write. Besides I have done a lot of remarkable volunteer work: I created and organisation that won the Young Entrepreneurship award of Sweden, given by the King of Sweden, I have read so much in my area of interest, I have been an interpreter in the Red Cross... - what Im trying to say here is that I believed my application was extremely good.
Thing is, I applied for International Relations in St Andrews and LSE, PPE in UCL and KCL and Politics/Philosophy in Glasgow.
Got rejections from LSE, St Andrews and UCL. Without sounding pretentious, I was extremely shocked because I thought it was a given that I would get accepted. My coordinator and family/friends are also like wtf. St Andrews was my first choice because I just loved the university so much during the open day and of course no tuition fees.
Now I'm left with Glasgow, which Politics modules are, in short, ****. And KCL where students seem to be very unsatisfied with the course, and I would have to sell all my organs just to pay for one semester.
I am very sad and disappointed, and realise that I made a mistake with my choices. The university application deadlines everywhere else in the world have passed. I really do not want to settle for less because I have been working so incredibly hard to get my grades and have impecable extra-curriculars.

Any advice?

The obvious answer is to achieve your predicted grades, take a gap year and reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Possibly because of the range of courses, you applied to three different course. You really have to be able to show your passion for your course in your personal statement, this is very difficult when applying to these three (very competitive) courses. Your work experience is good. Follow the previous advice, if your get your grades and take a gap year you'll have no problems getting in St Andrews next year.
Reply 3
Taking a gap year like ageshallnot said, will probably be the least dissappointing option. You are not in a hurry, so taking an extra year will give you enough time to figure things out and improve your application. Have you given Oxbridge any thought?

The question to ask yourself is how badly do you want to study at St Andrews / UCL / LSE ? Is it worth that extra year for you?

From Sweden too btw. :tongue:
Original post by danmor
Hi guys,

Im in the IB in Sweden, and Im set to achieve a 45( I got a 7 in all my mocks and that was my predicted).
I have a very strong personal statement that my coordinator (who is very experienced in UK university applications) me on how to write. Besides I have done a lot of remarkable volunteer work: I created and organisation that won the Young Entrepreneurship award of Sweden, given by the King of Sweden, I have read so much in my area of interest, I have been an interpreter in the Red Cross... - what Im trying to say here is that I believed my application was extremely good.

Any advice?

You sound very focused and capable so I have full confidence in you achieving your potential. I can understand your disappointment as it seems you really have put in an enormous amount of effort and your passion can be felt, but remain focused and seek out your options, I can only speak for LSE, but they tend to accept very specific applications, so it is not a surprise to get rejected by them, for the others I mean maybe its just down to competitive courses. Keep looking and you will find a way, worst thing you can do is either give up or panic... remain composed instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending