The Student Room Group

They don't accept my voluntary work

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
It's not, actually.

A lot of unpaid / charity work is done on a casual or voluntary basis, where the worker may be able to come and go as they please as there's no firm requirement on them.

Paid work is usually a lot more structured and rigid than this, requiring people to turn up on time and abide to a set amount of hours.

It could well be that this employer has had trouble with workers in the past who haven't turned up when they said they would, and therefore put this limit in place.

It doesn't make them bad people or bad employers.

In my C.V. under ‘Voluntary Work’ I have justified working hours and contracts. Which I would also mention in any covering letter or application form. They are ASSUMING the basis of my voluntary work if they chose not to hire me because of it, just because the word ‘voluntary’ is used does not automatically equal: zero hour, flexible, short term, etc.
It is bad on the behalf of the employer because they do not know what the persons previous positions in voluntary work actively involved. Mine have been exactly like paid work - set hours, rigid in structure and under strict authority.
Original post by Good bloke
This is simply untrue. Unpaid volunteers can, and do, dip in and out of work without compunction - the need for them is, by definition, greater than their need for the role. I don't say they all do that (they don't) but a significant proportion do and thus unpaid work is a poor model for paid work where reliability is required.

Why would employers/recruiters/universities constantly push for people to enter into voluntary work to ‘boost’ their C.V. if it’s got such negative connotations? It’s the employers fault for assuming all voluntary workers can be categorically labelled under this idea, it’s a pathetic way of employing people and I believe a potentially employee has every right to be angry and complain at such a system. It’s not actually justified, it’s like saying you won’t employ someone because they are in education and you think their focus will slip - it’s a assumption made on no concrete basis.
Original post by barneywherry
A person has said that they have been discriminated against for not having the required experience for a position. In this case, we can say that the phrase discriminated against clearly is meaning ‘acting upon a presupposed prejudice’.

No we can't as they may be acting in the light of perfectly valid previous experience, a knowledge of the applicant, or any number of other reasons unconnected with prejudice.

Original post by barneywherry
When in contexts such as this, implying what you called illegal discrimination, then we don’t bother using the word illegal before it because everyone should know what kind of discrimination is being suggested.

We? Should? Ha! That isn't high-handed at all. Oh no!

'Discrimination' never means 'illegal discrimination'.
Discrimination is legally defined and you can only discriminate against protected groups e.g. based on gender, religion, race, sexuality etc - not based on random lifestyle or experience factors.

They are entitled to do whatever they like, it's their company. And it's not an unfair distinction, generally the expectations of volunteers are different to a paid employee, they don't do the worst jobs, they aren't given so much responsibility and they get more leeway for poor behaviour. That may not be true of YOUR voluntary job but it is of many which is why people don't accept them as equal to paid work.
Original post by Good bloke
We? Should? Ha! That isn't high-handed at all. Oh no!

'Discrimination' never means 'illegal discrimination'.

In your first quoted response, you’ve actually agreed with me without being able to see it. You said they may be acting In the light of a perfectly valid precious experience. Which is exactly why this whole escapade wasn’t discrimination at all! The OP has just used the wrong word or gotten confused
Edited post.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lily048
In my C.V. under ‘Voluntary Work’ I have justified working hours and contracts. Which I would also mention in any covering letter or application form. They are ASSUMING the basis of my voluntary work if they chose not to hire me because of it, just because the word ‘voluntary’ is used does not automatically equal: zero hour, flexible, short term, etc.
It is bad on the behalf of the employer because they do not know what the persons previous positions in voluntary work actively involved. Mine have been exactly like paid work - set hours, rigid in structure and under strict authority.

Don't highlight it as voluntary work. You put it under Experience - because it is, and you give your role as the job title, eg Shop Assistant, not volunteer. Then the whole issue doesn't arise.
Original post by Analyst89
Edited post.

Probably best post on thread with the edit.
Original post by threeportdrift
Don't highlight it as voluntary work. You put it under Experience - because it is, and you give your role as the job title, eg Shop Assistant, not volunteer. Then the whole issue doesn't arise.

Nearly , until they ask and then you have to decide whether to spill or not. In the context of a parcel sorter then I think it is a bit silly.

But that’s exactly my point - it should not be an issue? I’ve been told from 15 that volunteering is such an important experience to put on your CV, why would so many people say this if it’s an issue?
Original post by 999tigger
Nearly , until they ask and then you have to decide whether to spill or not. In the context of a parcel sorter then I think it is a bit silly.

If they ask, then you've already got to interview, which is the point of a CV. Of course it's fairly irrelevant in this particular case, it's an entry level job and any sort of 'turning up and doing what you are asked/told' should be pretty relevant. However, on the wider issue, you don't get into this situation where employers can be over judgemental if you don't tell them so explicitly what was paid and what was unpaid work.
If they ask, then you've already got to interview, which is the point of a CV. Of course it's fairly irrelevant in this particular case, it's an entry level job and any sort of 'turning up and doing what you are asked/told' should be pretty relevant. However, on the wider issue, you don't get into this situation where employers can be over judgemental if you don't tell them so explicitly what was paid and what was unpaid work.

We havent seen the job advert. If its clear they want paid employment then he will get rejected at that stage. You will see earlier in the thread i argued they were being stupid.
Original post by Lily048
But that’s exactly my point - it should not be an issue? I’ve been told from 15 that volunteering is such an important experience to put on your CV, why would so many people say this if it’s an issue?

It's a good thing because it is relatively easy to get into and it gives you evidence of relevant skills.

However, as some people have highlighted, some volunteering opportunities and some volunteers are flakey and not really representative of the workplace, and some employers are wary of it.

So the answer is to volunteer and get the useful working experience, but not present it explicitly in your CV as volunteering work, but what it equally well can be represented as, Experience.

Some, but relatively few employers put a prestige on some volunteering as showing a social conscience, in which case you would split it out, but that's about knowing your employer and tailoring your CV properly.

By and large though, volunteer to get experience, but put it under Experience in your CV and don't highlight that it was volunteering.
It's a good thing because it is relatively easy to get into and it gives you evidence of relevant skills.

However, as some people have highlighted, some volunteering opportunities and some volunteers are flakey and not really representative of the workplace, and some employers are wary of it.

So the answer is to volunteer and get the useful working experience, but not present it explicitly in your CV as volunteering work, but what it equally well can be represented as, Experience.

Some, but relatively few employers put a prestige on some volunteering as showing a social conscience, in which case you would split it out, but that's about knowing your employer and tailoring your CV properly.

By and large though, volunteer to get experience, but put it under Experience in your CV and don't highlight that it was volunteering.

Is that not lying? If I put I worked for the police they’d be expecting a paid position and therefore quite prestigious but it’s voluntary (as many jobs in the police are) and therefore is just a conscious effort to get involved in the public sector?
Original post by Lily048
Is that not lying? If I put I worked for the police they’d be expecting a paid position and therefore quite prestigious but it’s voluntary (as many jobs in the police are) and therefore is just a conscious effort to get involved in the public sector?

It's not lying to say something is Experience, rather than Volunteering. It is not lying to say you were a Shop Assistant rather than a Volunteer. And you never usually disclose in a CV what your contractual terms or salary were.

If you were applying to the Police force, then that is a case where having done relevant voluntary work would be something they would see as a positive, so then it should be shown as voluntary. It's about knowing the employer and tailoring your CV.

The OP was applying for a bog standard, very high turnover, manual role, pretty much the bottom of the pile for entry level work and flaky employees. The Employer will get multiple applications per position because almost no-one doesn't have the skills to do the job. Therefore, in a sea of applications that are basically eligible, they have to have a way to cut down. In this case, they chose to cut down numbers by the fairly unusual, but still with some justification, not giving credit for volunteer work. if the OP hadn't made it explicit, and their CV was otherwise well tailored, they might have got through.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending