The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Strong grasp of migration history you have there.

Go on migration watch .com and educate yourself
I am aware of Lauren Southern she has said and expressed certain views which are clearly prejudice that i do not support. However how much I do or do not like what someone has to say is irrelevant. The fact is free speech is an important virtue and if you deny other people the right to express certain views then you too may also be denied.

there is always political spin on this Hate speech or ideological terrorism its total bs its just making up words to redefine things. what about financial suppression? if I choose not to buy certain goods, for whatever reason maybe I am motivated by racial or religious hatred this could be financial discrimination so unless I buy x amount of goods from country A or group B I could be arrested for financial racial discrimination.

such a thing does not exist I literally made that up right now to illustrate how absurd this propaganda is you just make up words think it sounds fancy and now think you have an argument, you dont. unless someone is a psychical threat to the safety of our people they should not be denied access for the views they express regardless of how offensive we may find such views.

our science is not scientific anymore because certain ideas are to controversial we cling to ideologies and feelings over facts and evidence.
Original post by D3LLI5
Go on migration watch .com and educate yourself

I'm alright thanks.
While I hate to agree, Britain is becoming more and more second rate in the world when we shouldn't be.
Original post by GenialGermanGent
I'm not upset. I am astounded by your combination of stupidity and arrogance. I am gleeful, watching your country go up in flames, while my country -and the rest of the EU- thrives. That's all.

The rest of the EU thrives. Try telling that to the Greeks....
Well of course the numbers are bigger now. Everything is. They have been getting bigger since the economic revolutions of the past 600 years

You are not advocating a return to fedalism are you? I would rather live in a high population economy combined with high producitivty so I don't have to toil in a field.

As usual it is leftists who are the ones actually defending capitalist developments.

How am I even suggesting that we return to feaudalism, in the 1900's we were not a feudal state, we could easily return to a lower immigration rate and be successful.
Original post by AperfectBalance
How many Reichsma.. I mean euros is Mutti Merkel giving to you to spew lies and attack England, you are the perfect little German, willing to follow a leader blindly and willing to attack England, you know how that went for you twice in a row and it seems Germany once again is on a path to try and ruin Europe again, good luck with that as you have failed before and once again we will not stand whilst this happens.

Your union is looking shaky and we will be able to prove to all that out of the Reich is far better than being a puppet of Germany.

I am afraid the last time you had a moderatly succesful system of politcal puppets was the Holy Roman Empire but it seems that that was often ruled by your far smarter and currently far more politically smart Austrians, we can only hope for a reverse anschluss.

A thread started by a lamenting Brit, hijacked by a delusional German. Couldn't make it up. Plus it had nothing to do with brexit either.
Looking at your past posts and what you have put in here, you have some genuine points concerning the economy and such but apart from that, you generalise too much while arguing some very odd points and seem to have a strange hatred for Britain/Brits. I do not see why you had dilute your argument about Brexit being a bad thing with nonsense insults. From what I've gathered, most people voted for Brexit due to the promises of funds being put to the NHS, once these promises were quickly brushed away, many have had second thoughts.
Original post by Stewpid
Our nation is becoming a joke. Free speech is held in contempt- if you have the wrong opinion there is now that much red tape in place that you are likely to get a conviction or if you are outside Britain you get banned from the country- mainly those with right wing conservative views.

Lets give you an example, the other day there was 3 journalists/ political activists they was from Canada, America and Austria. Lets make long story short and say that all 3 of these activists was detained through our terrorism legislation two of the three was detained for a few days and one of them was detained for 6 hours. The couple who was detained for a few days was detained because they was going to conduct an interview with Tommy Robinson and the other one was detained for 6 hrs on the basis of conducting a social experiment of handing out leaflets saying Allah is gay- bit of a trivial reason to ban someone for life from a nation- considering similar leaflets have been distributed saying god is gay- offences which are that major that schedule 7 of the terrorism act was cited as the reason for detention when zero of the three showed signs of committing a terrorist attack

What troubles me with this is that we are declaring war on freedom of speech with foreign reporters but ISIS terrorists can and have passed free of detention who have fought for ISIS Syria 400-450 terrorists have thought to have returned. This is a disgrace- this is what Mrs May was looking at with the Social Chapter by the looks of things to close down free speech of right wing conservatives. This is tolerance, this is censorship. This is a witch-hunt!

What makes things worse Salman Abedi the Manchester Arena terrorist was allowed to return to the UK from going to a bomb making school in Libya- no questions asked not even when he got back to Britain was he retained, this is despite him being on a prospected terrorist list.

Everyone else laugh at us- we are now a joke nation.

Completely agree I watched her interview on it.... it was just surreal
Reply 69
Nope. "Mass immigration" was going on before world war 2. You are right though. There were alot of racists back then as well.

The numbers were nothing compared to what we experience today.
I'm alright thanks.

Lol ok say I’m wrong then refuse to look at the statistics, with that rigour I’m sure you’ll get far in life
How am I even suggesting that we return to feaudalism, in the 1900's we were not a feudal state, we could easily return to a lower immigration rate and be successful.

You seem to view immigration as a fundamnetally negative thing to a country's development and want to revert to a fake idealised past. Hence the anology to idealising fuedalism.

There was xenophobic uproar in the 1900s about immigration. It is really nothing new. The mass upheavel of human societies has been going on for centuries.

Reducing immigration numbers for it's own sake is not only harmful to us in terms of loosing valuable cogs in the economic machine, it is also anti-humanist. The reality of borders is brutal state coercion (this is another example of where the left is more anti statism than a lot of the right). There use can only be defended when you no better choice. I am not prepared to sell the poeple I used to work with down a river for something which isn't even nececery. Although you are getting what you want. Poeple are leaving or not comming simply becuase you lot are making i abundantly clear you want them to **** off. Unsurprisingly this makes our country a less appealing country to live in, so well done.

Actions have consequences and the conseqences of what you and people like you want are bad for individual poeple who are effected by them. It isn't even needed and would be on the whole harmful to us as a whole. It's just vindictive stupidity.

This isn't intrinsically international leftism, it is also Adam Smith increasing human liberty and utility.
(edited 6 years ago)
You seem to view immigration as a fundamnetally negative thing to a country's development and want to revert to a fake idealised past. Which to me is like bascially saying we want lower number to the point where we have to go back to all working on farms all day.

There was xenophobic uproar in the 1900s about immigration. It is really nothing new. The mass upheavel of human societies has been going on for centuries.

Reducing immigration numbers for it's own sake is not only harmful to us in terms of loosing valuable cogs in the economic machine, it is also anti-humanist. The reality of borders is brutal state coercion (this is another example of where the left is more anti statism than a lot of the right). There use can only be defended when you have better choice. I am not prepared to sell the poeple I used to work with down a river for something which isn't even nececery.

Actions have consequences and the conseqences of what you and people like you want are bad for individual poeple who are effected by them. It isn't even needed and woule be on the whole harmful to us as a whole. It's just vindictive stupidity.

This isn't intrinsically international leftism, it is also Adam Smith increasing human liberty and utility.

What a surprise the person with no ability to perform any kind of research is a Marxist.

Educate yourself
We do have freedom of speech. The whole ‘social experiment’ of handing out flyers saying “Allah is gay” is obviously antagonising and disrespectful, it’s got nothing to do with free speech but rather common sense.

I think if you let someone like that in just for the sake of allowing free speech, well that’s just idiotic. Why would you jeopardise the health and safety of people for the sake of freedom of speech.

Like someone said before, you can’t deal with freedom of speech as it’s stand alone topic, there’s context, circumstance and responsibility that all come into play.
Original post by GenialGermanGent
Really? Who are you talking about? Literally the rest of the world is laughing at your economy tanking, inflation rising, and only relevant industry leaving.

No, you are uneducated and xenophobic for being so economically illiterate to believe you could actually be successful outside the massive trade bloc on your doorstep that you owe most of your modest wealth to, and for voting Leave on the back of a xenophobia-driven campaign to 'keep those dirty foreigners out' and 'take back your country' - how pathetic.

Sadly you’ve got it completely wrong. I wish the uk did have a nationalist government. Instead we have the same useless globalist liberals. The EU is actually ahead of us in this with Poland, Austria and now probably Italy being lead by patriotic conservatives- not to mention the Eastern European governments who agree with ‘us’.

Also the current opppsition on France, Germany and Sweden make the Tories look like the Green Party. So the EU is ahead of us. Viva la Europe ❤️

* not surprising when even Merkel admits that her policies have been an absoloute failure.
You seem to view immigration as a fundamnetally negative thing to a country's development and want to revert to a fake idealised past. Hence the anology to idealising fuedalism.

Reducing immigration numbers for it's own sake is not only harmful to us in terms of loosing valuable cogs in the economic machine, it is also anti-humanist. The reality of borders is brutal state coercion (this is another example of where the left is more anti statism than a lot of the right). There use can only be defended when you no better choice. I am not prepared to sell the poeple I used to work with down a river for something which isn't even nececery. Although you are getting what you want. Poeple are leaving or not comming simply becuase you lot are making i abundantly clear you want them to **** off. Unsurprisingly this makes our country a less appealing country to live in, so well done.

Actions have consequences and the conseqences of what you and people like you want are bad for individual poeple who are effected by them. It isn't even needed and would be on the whole harmful to us as a whole. It's just vindictive stupidity.

I view mass immigration as a negative to culture and whilst in the short term it might provide workers it will not pay off in the long run, especially with social cohesion and the preservation of culture.

well borders are very important and hardly brutal so brutal that we let thoustands and thousands of people in to a land that was created and maintained due to borders and the state, removing borders would be impossible and totally insane if we have more than 1 country, it would also lead to poor countries just mass migrating to richer countries and in turn destroying both countries.

Me supporting a smaller government (Although I have been debating this recently) does not mean I support no government, and in my opinion it is not a scale from Evil to Good, I would rather a very very large government than no government, Adam smith would have never even thought that this level of immigration would be possible.

Yeah certainly deporting someone who is trying to come from say Somalia is bad for them, but is it better for society, there are plenty of evils that we have to accept, is taxation good personally for me NO I would love to have more money but it is the basis of society.
I view mass immigration as a negative to culture and whilst in the short term it might provide workers it will not pay off in the long run, especially with social cohesion and the preservation of culture.

well borders are very important and hardly brutal so brutal that we let thoustands and thousands of people in to a land that was created and maintained due to borders and the state, removing borders would be impossible and totally insane if we have more than 1 country, it would also lead to poor countries just mass migrating to richer countries and in turn destroying both countries.

Me supporting a smaller government (Although I have been debating this recently) does not mean I support no government, and in my opinion it is not a scale from Evil to Good, I would rather a very very large government than no government, Adam smith would have never even thought that this level of immigration would be possible.

Yeah certainly deporting someone who is trying to come from say Somalia is bad for them, but is it better for society, there are plenty of evils that we have to accept, is taxation good personally for me NO I would love to have more money but it is the basis of society.

This argument has been used by many people including closet racists and far-right bigots.

You see there is this argument of us vs them. We argue about migration from certain countries but praise migration from other countries.

You see culture is a way of life of a group of people. This way of life is always evolving and changes with the times. The “culture” of 1423 UK was completely different to that of 1893 or 1991 or 2017. The important factor is integrating people rather than trying to defend an elusive idea of “culture”.

I disagree with your point that allowing people from poorer countries to come here will lead to them “destroying” rich countries. This issue still focuses on integration. In this country, we are very poor in adequately integrating others. We have an inherently toxic view of us versus them, whether it is across gender, class or age. It is what limits our true progress as the government and media tries to pitch us against each other.

The sad fact is that Government’s deep cuts have pushed communities to the point of blaming others.

You know, it is really sad that in 2018, we still have the conditioned bias of nationhood and race. I have read many sad threads on here and debated irl the whole idea of “white genocide”. It is incredibly sad that someone will feel so useless in their existence that they feel a real threat to their wellbeing from people, who go on their way and live as good plus functioning members of society.
(edited 6 years ago)
People have the right to express their opinions freely. However, people do not have the right to abuse others. Often people conflate these two things abuse and free speech.

Forbidding people from conducting an interview with anyone regardless of their political leniencies is wrong.
Forbidding people from handing out leaflets insulting the beliefs of others is a different story...this behaviour passes for abuse, not free speech and no-one should be allowed to abuse others.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Harold98
If you think this country is a joke feel free to leave. This country has a proud history of standing up to fascists and those who want to spread hatred, and we have a proud history of welcoming those in need and who want to come here.

And the reason why Salman Abedi was allowed to return to the UK is because he's a British citizen, unlike Lauren Southern, who is a foreigner.

No, This is my country historically it has been Great now its not so great.

Standing up to fascists, I agree with this statement Hitler was fascist so was Mussolini- but these are journalists who have shown no intent to commit a terrorist attack therefor that is invalid. Spreading hatred? No they was here for an interview with Tommy Robinson and to make a documentary.

The point i was trying to make about Salman Abedi is intelligence services knew him, knew he had travelled to a Al-Qaeda bomb making school in Libya and rather than detain and question him on schedule 7 of the terrorist act they just let him through. Just to let you know we can revoke citizenship at any time and detain pretty much anyone on terrorism grounds. Yes we can't deport them but we can stick them in the slammer indefinitely.

We need to stop terrorism at the source and not add to the problem like we have been doing for many years. Ahmed Hussain (Parsons Green Terrorist) Told border force he was trained to kill by ISIS rather than saying no and keeping the terrorist out we granted Asylum and he created his bomb out of the British Tax payers money. They saw him as less of a threat then Lauren Southern a journalist, Brittany Pettibone a journalist was also denied access to the UK. It's a joke it really is.
Reply 79
Original post by Wired_1800
Although you made some fair points, i think the post was generally idiotic.

First and foremost, you cannot stop your citizen from returning to their homeland. Salman Abedi and others could not be banned because they were British Citizens.

Two, terrorism is not only defined as political movement, you can have ideological terrorism which can come from liberal and conservative groups. In my opinion, the Government were right to ban known ideological terrorists from entering the country. Those people were not British, so why should they be here to pour their poison into the British consciousness.

I think you need to be careful with the whole idea of “free speech”, there is no such thing as absolute freedom. If you made a threatening remark to the Queen, the police and anti-terror police will be all over you that you may not even survive the interrogation.

Anyway, I’d suggest that you calm down. No need to go on a rampage.

OK.

Yes Abedi may have been a British Citizen and therefor we will have an hard time stopping him from coming back but we can revoke British Citizenship. Also we can detain any one wanting to come back into Britain whether they are foriegn or not if they are suspected of terrorism.

Latest

Trending

Trending