The Student Room Group

RIP Stephen Hawking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
"Tragedy struck Stephen Hawking when he was only 22. He was diagnosed with a deadly disease, and his expectations dropped to zero.

'He himself said that everything that happened since then was a bonus. And what a triumph his life has been.

'His name will live in the annals of science; millions have had their cosmic horizons widened by his best-selling books; and even more, around the world, have been inspired by a unique example of achievement against all the odds - a manifestation of amazing will-power and determination." (Astronomer Royal Professor Lord Martin Rees, Emeritus Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics, University of Cambridge)
An advocate for Palestine, an intellectual with a sense of humanity. :angelwings:
I cried when I heard - he's been such an inspiration on every level, not least that someone with such severe difficulties can work to achieve so much. He also makes me very proud to be English.
Omg.Stephen Hawking?He was such a great guy and one of the greatest and will be missed greatly.
RIP Drift King.
Heard this with shock on the radio on my commute this morning. Probably the celebrity death I've been most taken aback by since Bowie.

Getting a bit tired of the edgy comments. He was clearly a thoroughly incredible man, to achieve so highly from such an appalling situation.
With Stephen Hawking's dead, not only a genius in sciences (astrophysics in particular), but also a man who is the best example what is possible to achieve with a strong will is gone: to overcome ALS or another illnesses which restrict people in their physique and normally lead to death. I admit that I don't hardly know about him as a physicist and his contribution as such, nonetheless I admired him for his attitude and to cope with this restriction of hisself. He started a family, became a passionate scientist with a high reputation and an author in his porfession. That is why he has my greatest respect!

Rest in peace. :rip:
Amazing man, the world is sad due to the passing of this legend.

Also, isn't it symbolic how he died on the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death, Einstein's birthday, and on Pi day? Wow.

He will be greatly missed. :frown:
@Irman.g Can you not, please? Everyone here does care and he was an amazing person. This thread is to pay our respects to him, and not to have bullsh*t comments such as:

Original post by Irman.g
Nobody cares.

Thank you.
Sincerely, the rest of the world.
May his soul rest in peace.
Original post by Mystelle
This was so unexpected - he was being interviewed only last week, nobody saw any indication :frown:

I was so surprised too when I got up and listened to the radio and got to know that he died. All of a sudden!
The man did what he had to do he did his bit and left his mark on the world and will be remembered for a very long time.
Reply 92
Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur
@Irman.g Can you not, please? Everyone here does care and he was an amazing person. This thread is to pay our respects to him, and not to have bullsh*t comments such as:

Thank you.
Sincerely, the rest of the world.

Ok...
Original post by Mehru1214
Amazing man, the world is sad due to the passing of this legend.

Also, isn't it symbolic how he died on the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death, Einstein's birthday, and on Pi day? Wow.

He will be greatly missed. :frown:

That is a big coincidence indeed.

Missed yeah, but not forget. Great personalities are never dead forever, their great ideas, their achievements as their legacy always left behind. And so I think he will influence the (astro-)physics even over his death.
RIP but I do think he's over rated and his disability made him into a celebrity
Original post by Little Toy Gun
The passing of another Oxford-educated legend.

This makes me want to face-keyboard myself in the head.

hklhsosiyhioioduigllyfpt7ir6e 07[3498[gdiuiugiyfiuitugiuj
R.I.P Stephen Hawkins. An inspiration for anyone curious about their world and beyond it.
Original post by Notoriety
What is the point of this, really?

Reminding everyone that he went to Oxford. It clearly caught your attention.
Reply 98
He passed away on pi day

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending