The Student Room Group

Maths Grade Boundaries

Hello,

I am doing AQA for my maths GCSE and i am a bit unsure as to what grade i am working at and what will be needed to achieve a grade 6 or 7.
I currently get about 45% altogether on the three papers so does anyone know what grade that would be or what a 6 and 7 would be.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Grade boundaries aren't exact, but it can be roughly worked out
Level = Score per paper (for higher)
3 = 11
4 = 15
5 = 24
6 = 33
7 = 42
8 = 53
9 = 63
Grade boundaries usually increase by 2-3 marks per year. Each paper is out of 80 marks, so you're currently working at a level 6 (approximately).
Reply 2
Original post by 515
Grade boundaries aren't exact, but it can be roughly worked out
Level = Score per paper (for higher)
3 = 11
4 = 15
5 = 24
6 = 33
7 = 42
8 = 53
9 = 63
Grade boundaries usually increase by 2-3 marks per year. Each paper is out of 80 marks, so you're currently working at a level 6 (approximately).

Sweet thanks so much i thought i was also working at a 6 and so did my school but my mum thought i was lower. :smile: i hope this is accurate
Reply 3
It should be accurate. I took the data from an AQA website!
Original post by RobTGF
Sweet thanks so much i thought i was also working at a 6 and so did my school but my mum thought i was lower. :smile: i hope this is accurate

Those grade boundaries are pure fantasy - the actual ones aren't decided until papers have been marked. Just focus on dong as well as you can!
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Those grade boundaries are pure fantasy - the actual ones aren't decided until papers have been marked. Just focus on dong as well as you can!

They are the expected grade boundaries, based on results of those who have already done this. They are not exact and more than likely will increase by a few marks, but I would be exceptionally surprised to see an increase greater that 5. Unlike other subjects, Maths and English grade boundaries can be predicted with accuracy. Whereas, other subject can have a lot more variety in what the questions could be, so are much harder to predict
Original post by 515
They are the expected grade boundaries, based on results of those who have already done this. They are not exact and more than likely will increase by a few marks, but I would be exceptionally surprised to see an increase greater that 5. Unlike other subjects, Maths and English grade boundaries can be predicted with accuracy. Whereas, other subject can have a lot more variety in what the questions could be, so are much harder to predict

I'm a maths teacher and this is just not true - examiners have absolutely NO idea what the grade boundaries will be. We know that a certain % of students will have to get 7+ and 4+ and the grade boundaries are fitted to this.

Please stop making things up - it really does not help.
Reply 7
I'm a maths teacher and this is just not true - examiners have absolutely NO idea what the grade boundaries will be. We know that a certain % of students will have to get 7+ and 4+ and the grade boundaries are fitted to this.

Please stop making things up - it really does not help.

Ok then. Let me approch this in a different way. Based on the appropriate required marks that the exam board is estimated (estimated, not exact), then if RobTGF is averaging 45% on the specimen papers, then RobTGF is currently working at around a level 6. Although the marks required will almost definitely change for each grade, there is still a rather high possibility (not 100%) that RobTGF is still working at a level 6 standard. If its a hard paper, the average marks required for each grade boundary will decrease (which you know as a teacher). So although RobTGF might score a lower percentage, there is still a rather high chance that RobTGF was still working at around level 6.
Please feel free to post your point of view of this analogy because if my thinking is completely wrong, i would be more than happy to change how I advertise what the grading system is like
Thanks
Original post by 515
Ok then. Let me approch this in a different way. Based on the appropriate required marks that the exam board is estimated (estimated, not exact), then if RobTGF is averaging 45% on the specimen papers, then RobTGF is currently working at around a level 6. Although the marks required will almost definitely change for each grade, there is still a rather high possibility (not 100%) that RobTGF is still working at a level 6 standard. If its a hard paper, the average marks required for each grade boundary will decrease (which you know as a teacher). So although RobTGF might score a lower percentage, there is still a rather high chance that RobTGF was still working at around level 6.
Please feel free to post your point of view of this analogy because if my thinking is completely wrong, i would be more than happy to change how I advertise what the grading system is like
Thanks

Your logic is totally flawed - even the sample papers come with a stern warning that the grade boundaries are a guess and not to be relied upon.
Reply 9
Your logic is totally flawed - even the sample papers come with a stern warning that the grade boundaries are a guess and not to be relied upon.

Don't think you're superior just because you're a teacher - which by the way if you are, grow up and get off of student room. This guy is right, the grade boundaries are likely to be very similar this year as the exam boards have expressed on their websites.
Reply 10

The key word you seem to be forgetting in around. If RobTGF is getting around 45% consistently, then her grade is around a level 6. It's definitely not going to be a level 3 and unlikely to be a level 4
Original post by RobTGF
Hello,

I am doing AQA for my maths GCSE and i am a bit unsure as to what grade i am working at and what will be needed to achieve a grade 6 or 7.
I currently get about 45% altogether on the three papers so does anyone know what grade that would be or what a 6 and 7 would be.

Hi there :wavey:

I've moved your thread to the Maths forum where hopefully you'll get more answers :smile: In future, it's best to select the subject from the list here and create a thread in there instead :yep: If you want to see where threads belong, check out this thread :smile:
Original post by cj_sS
Don't think you're superior just because you're a teacher - which by the way if you are, grow up and get off of student room. This guy is right, the grade boundaries are likely to be very similar this year as the exam boards have expressed on their websites.

I'm only repeating what official e-maiis from Exam boards are saying. There are quite a few teachers and older posters on here - everyone is a student of life. There's no need for rudeness.
Reply 13
Original post by cj_sS
This guy is right, the grade boundaries are likely to be very similar this year as the exam boards have expressed on their websites.

Original post by 515
Ok then. Let me approch this in a different way. Based on the appropriate required marks that the exam board is estimated (estimated, not exact),

Hi, can either of you please post a link so we can see this information on the AQA website? Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Notnek
Hi, can either of you please post a link so we can see this information on the AQA website? Thanks.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-RF-GDE-BDY-JUN-2017.PDF

This is where I got my statistics from. It's from last year, so the grade boundary wont be exactly the same every year (as you probably know). It usually increases by around 3-5 marks every year (according to the maths department in my school)
Reply 15
Original post by 515
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-RF-GDE-BDY-JUN-2017.PDF

This is where I got my statistics from. It's from last year, so the grade boundary wont be exactly the same every year (as you probably know). It usually increases by around 3-5 marks every year (according to the maths department in my school)

No one knows how the boundaries will increase or decrease from last year. The papers could be easier or harder plus teachers are now used to the new spec so that could lower the boundaries - a spec change produces too many variables. We can make predictions but they could easily be wrong so it's best not to guess and just strive for the highest mark that you can.

People tried to make guesses last year and most made a total mess of it (I didn't see one guess on TSR that was close to the real thing). To give you an example of a new spec, when the A Level spec changed in 2005, for Edexcel C4 the boundary for an A was 69% but then the following year it was 81% then 73% the next year. You can only estimate boundaries once a spec has been running for a few years.
Reply 16
Original post by Notnek

https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2018/01/26/gcse-grade-boundaries-in-2018/

it says 'Nevertheless, we would still urge caution in assuming that the boundaries in 2018 will be very similar to those set in 2017. '
Reply 17
Original post by cj_sS
https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2018/01/26/gcse-grade-boundaries-in-2018/

it says 'Nevertheless, we would still urge caution in assuming that the boundaries in 2018 will be very similar to those set in 2017. '

Isn’t that the complete opposite of the point you were making?
Reply 18
Original post by Notnek
Isn’t that the complete opposite of the point you were making?

No, you must be getting me confused? I said they are very likely to be similar this year
Reply 19
Original post by cj_sS
No, you must be getting me confused? I said they are very likely to be similar this year

I’m confused. That quote says that we should be cautious in assuming that the boundaries will be similar. So that’s the opposite of what you’re saying.

Quick Reply

Latest