The Student Room Group

And I still a child/young ? HELP!

Hi ❤️

I have been quite upset recently, all of a sudden I thought, and I not a child, I’m 14, 15 in July and I don’t want to be a adult I know it sounds stupid and it will happen eventually but it really upsets me, I remember being 11 and having no stress, but now it’s exam stress, and also people now laugh at you for doing things like going on your bike because apparently it’s childish but am I not a child !?😭

This has upset me to the point I actually cry, my brothers turning 19 soon and it upsets me because I remember when we were little and played in the garden and stuff like that but now that’s all over, maybe this sounds stupid but it’s how I feel.. please help 😭

Sorry for the long paragraph, thanks for reading❤️🙁
welcome to the real world

but in all seriousness i wouldn't worry about growing up because you're only 14 so you don't have too many responsibilities rn , just enjoy the ride while it lasts tbh

also remember with responsibility(which you get with age) comes great privileges/rewards
Reply 2
Awww a lot of adults still ride bikes too, if nothing else it's a fairly good way to keepfit.
Reply 3
run away to Never Never Land....
Original post by Beth648
Hi ❤️

I have been quite upset recently, all of a sudden I thought, and I not a child, I’m 14, 15 in July and I don’t want to be a adult I know it sounds stupid and it will happen eventually but it really upsets me, I remember being 11 and having no stress, but now it’s exam stress, and also people now laugh at you for doing things like going on your bike because apparently it’s childish but am I not a child !?😭

This has upset me to the point I actually cry, my brothers turning 19 soon and it upsets me because I remember when we were little and played in the garden and stuff like that but now that’s all over, maybe this sounds stupid but it’s how I feel.. please help 😭

You can still have the heart and soul of a child in your free time and be like a child. you don't need to grow up (well, you'll need to be 'like an adult' in work but when you have free time just be a child - that's what I will do. I'm 16).
Original post by ANM775
run away to Never Never Land....

Lol I wish !
Original post by Baza2002
You can still have the heart and soul of a child in your free time and be like a child. you don't need to grow up (well, you'll need to be 'like an adult' in work but when you have free time just be a child - that's what I will do. I'm 16).

Thank you, I guess I am being silly because I’m 14!
Gurrlll, do not worry just continue to do the things you love! I am 16 leaving school in a couple of months and I still watch Barbie and play with dolls, but they are some of the things that make me happy :smile:

Also, do not worry to much about stress just focus on the stuff you need to do, and well just do it! every other 14/15 year old is going through this and we can not really do anything about it. My tip is when you are stressed just breathe in and out, or do yoga and work out. It takes your mind off things :smile: And trust me time goes by fast, remember that XD those exams will flyyyy by.

Also start looking at old memories with you and your brother, which will remind you of the good times :smile: hopefully it will put a smile on your face! Also create new memories with him too! old memories don't have to be the best memories, create better ones :smile:

I also recommend getting colourful pens and paper and writing down allllll of the good times you had in your whole life and play some relaxing music, or any music you like :smile: then store it in a jar or a box and whenever your feeling down or stressed have a good look at them!

Also write down some inspiring quotes that you can look back on to help you cope through stress :smile:

Don't worry, everything will be fine I promise x
Original post by Beth648
Thank you, I guess I am being silly because I’m 14!

most people think that an adult must be an adult. I think everyone should be a child (if that makes sense).
Original post by xx!Anonymous!xx
Gurrlll, do not worry just continue to do the things you love! I am 16 leaving school in a couple of months and I still watch Barbie and play with dolls, but they are some of the things that make me happy :smile:

Also, do not worry to much about stress just focus on the stuff you need to do, and well just do it! every other 14/15 year old is going through this and we can not really do anything about it. My tip is when you are stressed just breathe in and out, or do yoga and work out. It takes your mind off things :smile: And trust me time goes by fast, remember that XD those exams will flyyyy by.

Also start looking at old memories with you and your brother, which will remind you of the good times :smile: hopefully it will put a smile on your face! Also create new memories with him too! old memories don't have to be the best memories, create better ones :smile:

I also recommend getting colourful pens and paper and writing down allllll of the good times you had in your whole life and play some relaxing music, or any music you like :smile: then store it in a jar or a box and whenever your feeling down or stressed have a good look at them!

Also write down some inspiring quotes that you can look back on to help you cope through stress :smile:

Don't worry, everything will be fine I promise x

Thanks for advice, I appreciate it! So 14 is still a child?
Original post by Beth648
Thanks for advice, I appreciate it! So 14 is still a child?

Your Welcome!
14 is a teenager but who said that you can not be a child at heart? :smile: You do not have to change or feel like you need to act different because of your age, besides maturity and responsibilities come with age :smile:

so dont worry hun x
Riding a bike isn't childish! A lot of adults cycle to work and as a hobby. :smile:

Being an adult isn't scary to be honest, but you're a few years away from hitting that stage yet! For the record I'd never want to be a teenager again. :tongue:
Thank you everyone! I need to stop worrying but I can’t lol! I think it’s the fear of being a adult, I’m still a child so I need to chill out :mmm::rave:
Being an "adult" doesn't really do anything except occasionally you do extra 'adulty' things. For example, I just paid for a deposit on a flat today. Yesterday I played minecraft.
Original post by Beth648
for doing things like going on your bike because apparently it’s childish but am I not a child !?

Judgement from other people is kind of a bell curve shape. Between like 12 and 16 you hit peak judgement where people will be weird about basically anything you do and then it tapers off to the point where at uni basically nobody cares about anything you do unless you're one of the mormons constantly proselytising outside the library.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Being an "adult" doesn't really do anything except occasionally you do extra 'adulty' things. For example, I just paid for a deposit on a flat today. Yesterday I played minecraft.

Judgement from other people is kind of a bell curve shape. Between like 12 and 16 you hit peak judgement where people will be weird about basically anything you do and then it tapers off to the point where at uni basically nobody cares about anything you do unless you're one of the mormons constantly proselytising outside the library.

Thanks, so I’m still a child ?
Omg this is so me. I have to think about uni next year and all I want is to go back to year 3 honestly 😂
Original post by Beth648

Thanks, so I’m still a child ?

When you're in your teens just call yourself what you want to be honest mate. There's not exactly a cut off point between adult and child. According to my 6th form head you never really "feel like an adult". It's not worth overthinking, life's all just steady growth. You never get any huge jumps in maturity or "adultiness".

Legally speaking you're an adult at either 16 or 18, can't remember which.
Reply 17
Original post by Beth648
Hi ❤️

Hi, i know this is easier said than done but you shouldnt care about people opinions, there is no age for riding a bike, and yes i know we all miss being young and without stress but think of it as you still have . a lot to live...

Quick Reply

Latest