The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
Well I assume because they are so prevalent in London, you don’t even think that the busses won’t be like that anywhere else. You assume it’s logical to have an entrance and an exit.

I feel like I really contributed to moving the discussion tonight for the first time ever.

In the North people would just get on without paying. We can't be trusted.
Original post by showaeski
In the North people would just get on without paying. We can't be trusted.

Haha. Not sure why Londoners are trusted either!
Original post by Paracosm
Yes!

Get on at the front, get off in the middle.

:adore:
Reply 63
Yes!

Actually you can get on at the front/middle or back of the number 12 bus. I love that bus as when i'm going central London the majority of the time I just get on without paying

The number 12 is not a typical London bus though, as most London buses have 2 exits not 3

yeah, like 80% of people up north will thank the driver when getting off the bus ....and hardly no one does it in London. True that the doors might have something slightly to do with it, but on the odd occasion i've been on buses in manchester with two exits and most people still thank the driver.......
Im a southerner, but my dads from Bolton. I love northerners! There accents are really cool to (my dad has one) I try to copy it sometimes lol.:h:
Original post by ANM775
Actually you can get on at the front/middle or back of the number 12 bus. I love that bus as when i'm going central London the majority of the time I just get on without paying

The number 12 is not a typical London bus though, as most London buses have 2 exits not 3

yeah, like 80% of people up north will thank the driver when getting off the bus ....and hardly no one does it in London. True that the doors might have something slightly to do with it, but on the odd occasion i've been on buses in manchester with two exits and most people still thank the driver.......

Well yes, of course you can get off at the front - but you're not supposed to as that's not what the front door is for on London buses. Meh, it just feels awkward to shout across loads of passengers to thank the driver. I've always thanked drivers on a one-door bus though. :smile:
Original post by alexg99
What is considered north though?

If I was to do it in a "official-ish" kinda of way I'd put the midlands between just below Liverpool to about Coventry-ish, with above and below being "the north" and "the south". You could probs give or take a few tens of miles either side.

On a personal level, the nearest city to where I live is a good 110 miles north of Liverpool so everywhere feels pretty heckin south to a degree.

Yes!

Why was that even invented
Original post by Retired_Messiah

Why was that even invented

I imagine to ease congestion. It's incredibly effective and a lot better than squeezing past loads of people to the front of the bus to get off. The same thing exists in Paris for the same reason :smile:
I imagine to ease congestion. It's incredibly effective and a lot better than squeezing past loads of people to the front of the bus to get off. The same thing exists in Paris for the same reason :smile:

K fair but also never moving to London ever, nope.
K fair but also never moving to London ever, nope.

I'm a Londoner myself and even I don't blame you. :laugh:
I'm a Londoner myself and even I don't blame you. :laugh:

It's just not the same if I can't give the driver a depressed sounding 'cheers' that I only half mean
Original post by anonymousxo98
Is there really much of a difference?

I don’t think there is, other than northerners are a lot more nicer and down-to-earth than southerners.

Northerners are funny by default. They can say just about anything, I'll always find them amusing. Super friendly!! Newcastle, Sunderland, Birmmy and Manchester are top! Birmmy is a bit ratty but oh wells....

Southerners are tw*ts... but I can't say much coz I'm a London girl... :P London is live... a beautiful pile of ****.... angry pushy rushing bargy people, but still... the memories <3 I always find the South very unwelcoming, bit judgy... entitled totters, not as openly chatty.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Parasite
Northerners are funny by default. They can say just about anything, I'll always find them amusing. Super friendly!! Newcastle, Sunderland, Birmmy and Manchester are top! Birmmy is a bit ratty but oh wells....

Southerners are tw*ts... but I can't say much coz I'm a London girl... :P London is live... a beautiful pile of ****.... angry pushy rushing bargy people, but still... the memories <3 I always find the South very unwelcoming, bit judgy... entitled totters, not as openly chatty.

Ah yeah, my southern friends have said it’s rather weird as to how friendly northerners are. Southerners tend to just keep themselves to themselves, I’m guessing😂
Yes!

LONDON!!! <3.... BOMBSHELL BUSES!!! Big beautiful red bus! Miss the buses, frequency, nightlife, *****y suburb/council estates... don't miss the cost of living!
Original post by Parasite
Northerners are funny by default. They can say just about anything, I'll always find them amusing.

A couple of southern people I'm mates with with reckon I always sound drunk when I speak. I'm not sure if that's good or not.
(edited 6 years ago)
A couple of southern people I'm mates with with reckon I always sound drunk when I speak. I'm not sure if that's got or not.

It's a really good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so jealous <3
A couple of southern people I'm mates with with reckon I always sound drunk when I speak. I'm not sure if that's got or not.

Probably slurr our words or whatever, I don’t know. But we don’t sound that bad😶😶
Original post by anonymousxo98
Probably slurr our words or whatever, I don’t know. But we don’t sound that bad😶😶

tbf I slurr my words to other northern people 'cause I'm low key socially inept. Probs doesn't help.
tbf I slurr my words to other northern people 'cause I'm low key socially inept. Probs doesn't help.

I just have my headphones in constantly, so I probably sound like I’m shouting at people - they won’t have a problem understanding me😂😂😂😂 & lmao, yeah I tend to slurr my words but it’s whatever mehh
Well, I'm a northerner.

Apparently words are pronounced differently, like migraine
Northerners say:
My-grain
Southerners say:
Me-grain

And then there's the word issue:
Northerners say: Ishoo
Southerners say: Is-you

And sloth
Northerners say: sl-oth
southerners say: Sloath.