The Student Room Group

Will an Oxford degree in archaeology disadvantage me?

Would I be better off to study say English rather than history and archaeology?
I fear the word "archaeology" in my degree title makes it sound less academic.

Of course I understand the importance of degree classification.
Original post by 9501282
Would I be better off to study say English rather than history and archaeology?
I fear the word "archaeology" in my degree title makes it sound less academic.

Of course I understand the importance of degree classification.

Oxford and classification is more than enough imo.
That depends for what. If you want to become an archaeologist one would hope not....

Given this is in the legal sector forum I assume it's with regard to law (presumably, becoming a solicitor). I'm not aware of any subject biases provided it's an academic degree. Going to Oxford would probably convince them of your strength of mind sufficiently "even" if you were doing Fine Art when applying to training contracts for GDL funding...provided of course you get a good classification.

In general Oxford and Cambridge do not offer "non-academic" degrees. Even their courses in Fine Art and Architecture respectively, and Engineering/Law/Medicine for both are extremely academic in nature both in general and compared to other similar courses. This is actually something I've seen applicants say put them off for applying to these courses for the former pair...

tl;dr even if you wanted to do a "mickey mouse" degree you wouldn't find one at Oxbridge (for better or for worse)
Original post by 999tigger
Oxford and classification is more than enough imo.
I agree. Even if the degree wasn't from Oxford, I doubt many (if any) recruiters would see archaeology as a 'soft' subject.
If it makes you feel better, I have a friend who did archaeology at UCL (Bachelor's through to Master's) and he's now a trainee at a MC firm -- and has absolutely no regrets going all out for archaeology :smile:
Not at all. Archaeology is a perfectly viable choice for leading into a legal career (or other types of career). Particularly when you are going to Oxford! If you are more interested in archaeology than English. I think that is what you should do.

In fact I'd say it might even be an advantage. It sounds like an interesting talking point at interviews.

I am a solicitor in a city law firm, so hopefully that gives you some comfort.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending