The Student Room Group

Revision Strategies

I am currently in Year 10, approaching Mock Exams after Easter break in April. I have 12 subjects to revise for an approximately 3-5 units to revise for, per subject. I would like to know ways of remembering all the content and information for 12 subjects. For like an end of term test, I can revise it by verbally reading aloud until I remember. But do you guys suggest any other methods/strategies to revise all this content for exams one after the other?
watch yt vids and do past papers
James, I would just like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best of luck for your upcoming GCSE mock exams. You are doing brilliantly with your GCSE studies as GCSEs are very challenging. Instead of pointlessly spending hours comtemplating how you should revise, you should spend your time revising, and then maybe you wouldnt be in such a mess, now would you? YOU CAN BLAME NO ONE BUT YOURSELF AND I EXPECT A FORMAL APOLOGY.
Reply 3
Original post by shohaib712
watch yt vids and do past papers

YouTube videos and GCSE pod videos are rubbihsu. They go to fast for me to write stuff down and the persons Voice is SO annyoing. But the past papers, i don't know the answers to any questions anyway and they wont be the questions I het in my exam
Reply 4
Original post by laura.cox1
James, I would just like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best of luck for your upcoming GCSE mock exams. You are doing brilliantly with your GCSE studies as GCSEs are very challenging. Instead of pointlessly spending hours comtemplating how you should revise, you should spend your time revising, and then maybe you wouldnt be in such a mess, now would you? YOU CAN BLAME NO ONE BUT YOURSELF AND I EXPECT A FORMAL APOLOGY.

What is revision lara?Does creating revision resources count as revision?
Original post by James1908
YouTube videos and GCSE pod videos are rubbihsu. They go to fast for me to write stuff down and the persons Voice is SO annyoing. But the past papers, i don't know the answers to any questions anyway and they wont be the questions I het in my exam

first off they probably will be in your exam as they are going to use questions from past papers in mock exams! Mock exams are not new exam papers, they use old ones. second even if its not the same question they style if always the same. anybody who got A*'s/A's will say that past papers where the key to there grades. i crammed my gcse exams the night before for sciences. watched the gcse pod vides, then did all the past papers i could find (i did the questions in my head) then took the exams. got A*A*A. this was for sciences though. I recommend making notes as well using textbooks if you find it hard to learn from videos.
Reply 6
Original post by shohaib712
first off they probably will be in your exam as they are going to use questions from past papers in mock exams! Mock exams are not new exam papers, they use old ones. second even if its not the same question they style if always the same. anybody who got A*'s/A's will say that past papers where the key to there grades. i crammed my gcse exams the night before for sciences. watched the gcse pod vides, then did all the past papers i could find (i did the questions in my head) then took the exams. got A*A*A. this was for sciences though. I recommend making notes as well using textbooks if you find it hard to learn from videos.

Well this year all subjects are being graded not with old G - A* grades but new 9-1 course so they are not using mock exams. They need to use exams for the new course which no one has done yet, so there are no exams
Original post by James1908
Well this year all subjects are being graded not with old G - A* grades but new 9-1 course so they are not using mock exams. They need to use exams for the new course which no one has done yet, so there are no exams

Mate idk what your talking about mock exams will be using questions from past papers. Where else are the teachers gonna get questions from? Do you really think they are going to spend there time making up questions for you year 10 kids lol? True its a new spec but most of the content is the same as the old spec. Only differences are: Some new topics are included and the grading system has changed. It's the same with alevels, everyone is doing past papers from the old spec because thats the only resource available to revsise from. You can spend your time making notes but the highest grade you be getting with them is a B. Maybe an A in literature based subjects, if your lucky. Making notes is only going to get you a pass. Think of it this way, if you were an athlete preparing for a race. would you, A) read a book about tips on performing well on the race or B) Practice running under timed conditions and essentially recreate the same conditions to prepare yourself for the acutal race?

The same thing applies with exams. WOuld you waste your time making notes? or practice with past paper questions? Cuz at the end of the day the only thing thats gonna be in the exams are questions so its best to start getting used to answering them. And having done GCSE's i know for a fact that most of the questions in maths/sciences are recycled.
Got A*s in those subjects if it helps change your mind.

But anyways its up to you. If you really think that not completing past papers are gonna get you the grades you really want. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest