The Student Room Group

Why does race still divide us?

I’m Latina and I’ve lived my whole life in London where there’s literally every race and ethnicity you could imagine. I’ve grown up so open-minded and I genuinely don’t define or have any preferences for any race. And yet constantly race is bought up in most topics you hear people talk about even just at college everyday something negative needs to be said about a race. It’s just a non ending thing I just wished we could stop it from dividing us. People say they hate it but they are promoting and continue making racist remarks. It just makes me really sad wish it was different:frown:
Reply 1
Watch this video.
It is a book that explains things and a mercy.
With subtitles.
[video="youtube;DUP66F__zwk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUP66F__zwk[/video]
Reply 2
Don't worry about it. There always will be negativity.
You just need to learn to stay away from negativity and negative people.

The more you watch, listen or look at negative things, the more negativity enters you life.
So, the only thing you can do about is to avoid and ignore negativity.
Don't watch negative movies, videos or listen to negative people, etc.

There are always evil, negative people. You can't change them.
You learn to avoid them.

If you are not convinced, try this small 1-day experiment.
For 1 day, watch videos about wars, racism, poverty, etc.
Next day, watch video about peace, love and humans helping each other.
You will see significant changes in your mood.
And, why it is important to avoid negativity.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Irman.g
Don't worry about it. There always will be negativity.
You just need to learn to stay away from negativity and negative people.

The more you watch, listen or look at negative things, the more negativity enters you life.
So, the only thing you can do about is to avoid and ignore negativity.
Don't watch negative movies, videos or listen to negative people, etc.

There are always evil, negative people. You can't change them.
You learn to avoid them.

I hear you sis, thanks for replying, but negativity is literally spreading everywhere. It just gets me so madddd and makes me really sad even if it isn’t directly to me like why is there so much ignorance.
It's never going away, better get used to it.

Racism is ingrained in the human psyche.

No race truly wants equality, only to better the chances of their own race.
Reply 5
Original post by Mana1
I hear you sis, thanks for replying, but negativity is literally spreading everywhere. It just gets me so madddd and makes me really sad even if it isn’t directly to me like why is there so much ignorance.

I'm a bro :smile:.
And yes, it is. Just learn to avoid it. Can't stop it.
Original post by Irman.g
I'm a bro :smile:.
And yes, it is. Just learn to avoid it. Can't stop it.

Loooool sorry I read it as iman😂 not irman
1, division/fighting/conflict are natural parts of our nature. Even if you took away all racial differences, we would divide and fight over something else. Evidence for this is clear, even in parts of the world where people are of the same race, they fought and fought.

2, 90% of racism these days would be better described as 'culturalism'. Sure there are a small number of people who still believe that 1 race is superior to another, on a purely physical/mental level (following from the old ideas that X race was more developed, and X race was more primitive), but these people are a very small minority.

Most people today who would be deemed racist, actually are talking about culture rather then race - obviously though their is a huge correlation between the two, and for lazy people its easy to conflate them, but they should absolutely not be linked. For example, last Christmas when I was in the UK, I was talking to my grandpa and some of his friends, and we were discussing race. They mentioned that they did not want to live in neighborhoods with black people in them. but when probed further it turned out that they would much rather live with black people who shared their culture and traditions, then with white people who did not. The reason for not wanting to live with black people was that they attached a culture to their race, and the culture is what they don't like.

multi-culturalism provides the solution to this, as it has the potential to propperly seperate race and culture, and take the best of many cultures and mix them together.. but it demands intergration at a level which is simply not happening at the moment.
1The people who have nearly run me over on more than one times because they were driving badly were either Asian or black.
I so find that the Asians I come across jn the street are vile, ie spitting out cigarettes in front of them on the pavement into oncoming people and also not moving from the middle of the pavement to let people go by.
This is just my experiences bit generally it's not hard to understand why.
Original post by Mana1
I’m Latina and I’ve lived my whole life in London where there’s literally every race and ethnicity you could imagine. I’ve grown up so open-minded and I genuinely don’t define or have any preferences for any race. And yet constantly race is bought up in most topics you hear people talk about even just at college everyday something negative needs to be said about a race. It’s just a non ending thing I just wished we could stop it from dividing us. People say they hate it but they are promoting and continue making racist remarks. It just makes me really sad wish it was different:frown:

Because some cultures dislike each other more than others. Some are simply primitive while 1 or 2 races may even pose a threat of which terrorism is the most common. Its these sort of things that generate distrust in other races/cultures. People often become racist due to the fear that certain types of people are dangerous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending