The Student Room Group

A Level self study help

Scroll to see replies

then I agree with the other poster.
get the books, some of mine I got on Amazon for 1p plus postage, and start the courses, and then when you're in the position to take the exams or open university you'll be ready for it. it'll also give you something productive to do (which is a reason I started)
Hi Rebecca

I tutor A Level Maths and Physics.

Best online source for A Level Maths is www.examsolutions.net

Good luck
Regards
Craig

[@QUOTE]Hi everyone,

I've recently made the decision to self study 3 A Levels. My current living situation has made it impossible for me to study via an online distance learning institution or to attend college. Having said that I am determined not to waste the next two years of my life by letting that hold me back so instead I'll be self teaching my A Levels and applying to take my A Level exams as a private candidate.

Can anyone recommend any websites for this? How do I get started? What books to do I need to study? Where can I find the syllabus? Anyone have any experience with this or can help me find the information on how I should split my time between the 3?

As I am a private candidate I can only do subjects that do not include any practical work or any coursework that would require a teacher to mark. I'm leaning towards 3 of the following - Maths, Psychology, sociology or law. I do not yet know what degree I want to do after which is why I've decided to do A Levels instead of an access to HE course.

Any advice or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Rebecca
Reply 22
Original post by Rebecca787
Hi everyone,

I've recently made the decision to self study 3 A Levels. My current living situation has made it impossible for me to study via an online distance learning institution or to attend college. Having said that I am determined not to waste the next two years of my life by letting that hold me back so instead I'll be self teaching my A Levels and applying to take my A Level exams as a private candidate.

Can anyone recommend any websites for this? How do I get started? What books to do I need to study? Where can I find the syllabus? Anyone have any experience with this or can help me find the information on how I should split my time between the 3?

As I am a private candidate I can only do subjects that do not include any practical work or any coursework that would require a teacher to mark. I'm leaning towards 3 of the following - Maths, Psychology, sociology or law. I do not yet know what degree I want to do after which is why I've decided to do A Levels instead of an access to HE course.

Kind regards,
Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

I am a 33 year old Dad and I have decided to change my career so right now I am studying to get 2 A levels maths, physics (I already have one a level)

I know how crazy hard it is to get started as a private candidate. I don't know anything about Psychology, sociology or law, but here are few tips on maths.

You definitly need to find a syllabusdepending on which examination bord you are going to apply for.

But right at the begining it doesn't matter that much, the point is to get started right now. as in now now.

For me it had been a while (I am 33) so 6 months ago when I started I started with 6th grede maths. My wife was laughing, but it really helped me since I had forgotten so much. I used Khan academy for this. Didn't have to really study but just fly though 6th to 10th grede in just one month. Then I spent a bit more time on 11th and 12th grade maths.

I am now on AS and having reviced 6th grade to 12th, is really paying off.

For A level maths I recommend you the playlist by Mr. Jack Brown if you haven't alredy found it. I think there are 200 videos in the playlist and there in the right order for you to go through.

I use Khan academy aswell but you need to know the A level equivalence of the us system to know what to study there.

All the best to you
Original post by shiv84
Hi Rebecca,

I am a 33 year old Dad and I have decided to change my career so right now I am studying to get 2 A levels maths, physics (I already have one a level)

I know how crazy hard it is to get started as a private candidate. I don't know anything about Psychology, sociology or law, but here are few tips on maths.

You definitly need to find a syllabusdepending on which examination bord you are going to apply for.

But right at the begining it doesn't matter that much, the point is to get started right now. as in now now.

For me it had been a while (I am 33) so 6 months ago when I started I started with 6th grede maths. My wife was laughing, but it really helped me since I had forgotten so much. I used Khan academy for this. Didn't have to really study but just fly though 6th to 10th grede in just one month. Then I spent a bit more time on 11th and 12th grade maths.

For A level maths I recommend you the playlist by Mr. Jack Brown if you haven't alredy found it. I think there are 200 videos in the playlist and there in the right order for you to go through.

I use Khan academy aswell but you need to know the A level equivalence of the us system to know what to study there.

All the best to you

examsolutions is good too.
I've watched jack brown too and regularly recommend him too.
Original post by shiv84
Hi Rebecca,

All the best to you

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your comment, I really appreciate it.

Yes, my biggest challenge is getting started. There is just a lack of information out there for private students and I’m lost just trying to find the correct books.
I’m currently overseas which means I can only go with Edexcel or CIE. I made the the decision to go with Edexcel and now I’m struggling with finding out the difference in content between a levels and international a levels. I read that the syllabus has been updated for the maths a level but no one can tell me for sure about the international a level. I just don’t want to learn the wrong stuff and then come exam time fail.... the exams are too expensive also!

I read a lot online about how to UK are really championing adults going back to education and yet they make it so hard to do so!

I’m just frustrated with the whole process if I’m honest. Are you studying with no guidance from anyone? Or did you decide to go with an online distance learning company?
Hi,

Yes, my biggest challenge is getting started. There is just a lack of information out there for private students and I’m lost just trying to find the correct books.
I’m currently overseas which means I can only go with Edexcel or CIE. I made the the decision to go with Edexcel and now I’m struggling with finding out the difference in content between a levels and international a levels. I read that the syllabus has been updated for the maths a level but no one can tell me for sure about the international a level. I just don’t want to learn the wrong stuff and then come exam time fail.... the exams are too expensive also!

I read a lot online about how to UK are really championing adults going back to education and yet they make it so hard to do so!

I’m just frustrated with the whole process if I’m honest. Are you studying with no guidance from anyone? Or did you decide to go with an online distance learning company?

I went with a distance learning company and faired ok on my own. I had to supplement their material with cgp books and because I changed modules, I've had to do 2 on my own. if I knew before that I could do it alone I would have done.
Reply 26
Hi,

Hi Rebecca, Sorry about taking too long to respond. I've been a bit busy.

I agree with you about the lack of support for private candidates. Any one who is looking to educate themselves are contributing to the country's future in some way, therefore should be rewarded with all the information and support they need.

It is sad that what puts some people off, is not the difficulty of the subjects themselves but the process of getting started. Don't let that ever discourage you. You know you can do this.

If you can afford a distance learning service I am sure it will make things much easier for you.

I am doing this without any guidance, due to financial reasons. I have the same problem regarding the syllabus and it made me rethink this whole idea, and I almost gave up, since I too don't live in the UK any longer and find it really hard to gather information.

But I am glad that I pushed passed that phase. The only way to do that is jumping straight into the studies. I know it feels like you want to gather all the information first. But you can do both simultaneously.

Since I got started, I have learned that the difference in contents (at least in maths) are very subtle. Most of what we have to learn is common to all exam boards and also international A-levels. Which is why I say to anyone, just get started right away. You can fine tune yourself to the specifics of your exam board later when you are doing past papers and revision.

There are many Edexcel past papers and marking schemes available for download. Just google it.

My main resource for maths is the youtube playlist that I mentioned in my last comment. Search TEACHING a-level maths on youtube and its the playlist with 662 videos made by a guy called Jack Brown. That playlist is designed for also multiple boards including edexcel.

I watch them and make my own notes. Also I repeat what I learn on a white board, pretending to teach someone. Its a great way to carve things to your mind (feynman technique by Richard Feynman) and It works well for me.

And finally, it all comes down to how disciplined you are really. I am a musician and I have my guitars and things at home, so I easily get distracted at home. I go to a library during the day and study at home during the night when I am less likely to grab a guitar and make noise when my little daughter is asleep.

So you really have to distant yourself from any thing that might distract you.

All the best
Original post by shiv84
Hi Rebecca, Sorry about taking too long to respond. I've been a bit busy.

I agree with you about the lack of support for private candidates. Any one who is looking to educate themselves are contributing to the country's future in some way, therefore should be rewarded with all the information and support they need.

It is sad that what puts some people off, is not the difficulty of the subjects themselves but the process of getting started. Don't let that ever discourage you. You know you can do this.

If you can afford a distance learning service I am sure it will make things much easier for you.

I am doing this without any guidance, due to financial reasons. I have the same problem regarding the syllabus and it made me rethink this whole idea, and I almost gave up, since I too don't live in the UK any longer and find it really hard to gather information.

But I am glad that I pushed passed that phase. The only way to do that is jumping straight into the studies. I know it feels like you want to gather all the information first. But you can do both simultaneously.

Since I got started, I have learned that the difference in contents (at least in maths) are very subtle. Most of what we have to learn is common to all exam boards and also international A-levels. Which is why I say to anyone, just get started right away. You can fine tune yourself to the specifics of your exam board later when you are doing past papers and revision.

There are many Edexcel past papers and marking schemes available for download. Just google it.

My main resource for maths is the youtube playlist that I mentioned in my last comment. Search TEACHING a-level maths on youtube and its the playlist with 662 videos made by a guy called Jack Brown. That playlist is designed for also multiple boards including edexcel.

I watch them and make my own notes. Also I repeat what I learn on a white board, pretending to teach someone. Its a great way to carve things to your mind (feynman technique by Richard Feynman) and It works well for me.

And finally, it all comes down to how disciplined you are really. I am a musician and I have my guitars and things at home, so I easily get distracted at home. I go to a library during the day and study at home during the night when I am less likely to grab a guitar and make noise when my little daughter is asleep.

So you really have to distant yourself from any thing that might distract you.

All the best

Hi Shiv84,

Thank you so much for your reply. You've really inspired me to just stop waiting for everything to be perfect before I start.

I too am self studying due to financial reasons. They want £1000 for 3 a levels and then want another £800 just to take the exams.... the cost of the whole thing is killing me and this is all before I even move onto my degree!

You are absolutely right when you say that I have been really focused on gathering all of the information first before I start, its the kind of person I am. I prefer all the information from start to finish laid out in front of me before I start. Ideally I just wanted the syllabus, the correct study books and everything sorted beforehand but I can see that this plus all of the extra details like exams and revision is something that will have to come later. I'm worried that I am taking on too much, I have a child and plan more in the near future and right now I can only really spare 3 hours a day to my studies. I suppose the best part about self studying it that you don't have to complete it in 12, 18, 24 months and can do it quicker or slower depending on your circumstances. I could wait to start my studies but honestly I've been waiting for 10 years and it has taken me a long time to realise that there will never be a perfect time to start. There will always be other stuff going on.

I will be taking your advice and just getting on with it. When it comes to exams and anything else I'm unsure of, well I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I hope your studies are going well, it sounds like you have a great system in place.

Thanks!!
Reply 28
Hi Shiv84,

Thank you so much for your reply. You've really inspired me to just stop waiting for everything to be perfect before I start.

I too am self studying due to financial reasons. They want £1000 for 3 a levels and then want another £800 just to take the exams.... the cost of the whole thing is killing me and this is all before I even move onto my degree!

You are absolutely right when you say that I have been really focused on gathering all of the information first before I start, its the kind of person I am. I prefer all the information from start to finish laid out in front of me before I start. Ideally I just wanted the syllabus, the correct study books and everything sorted beforehand but I can see that this plus all of the extra details like exams and revision is something that will have to come later. I'm worried that I am taking on too much, I have a child and plan more in the near future and right now I can only really spare 3 hours a day to my studies. I suppose the best part about self studying it that you don't have to complete it in 12, 18, 24 months and can do it quicker or slower depending on your circumstances. I could wait to start my studies but honestly I've been waiting for 10 years and it has taken me a long time to realise that there will never be a perfect time to start. There will always be other stuff going on.

I will be taking your advice and just getting on with it. When it comes to exams and anything else I'm unsure of, well I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I hope your studies are going well, it sounds like you have a great system in place.

Thanks!!

Hi Rebecca,

3 hours a day should do fine if you are able to really get into it and fully focus. I do try to do about five hours a day but to be honest, some times only two or three out of those really count, and I find it hard to focus after that.

Dividing the time between this and the family is a bit of an issue for me too. But as you metioned, the good thing is that you can decide yourself whether you wanna do it quicker or slower. There is no rush.

Although.. Sometimes It bothers me that I have to go through all this trouble and this is all before I even get staarted with the actual degree at the university and I am not getting any younger either... and then I realise that nothing or no one is really streessing me. Its all just me.

At least I have a plan. At least I have figured out what I want to do. And so have you.

So you get on it and power through those three hours a day and you will do well.

All the best

Shiv
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by shiv84
Hi Rebecca,

3 hours a day should do fine if you are able to really get into it and fully focus. I do try to do about five hours a day but to be honest, some times only two or three out of those really count, and I find it hard to focus after that.

Dividing the time between this and the family is a bit of an issue for me too. But as you metioned, the good thing is that you can decide yourself whether you wanna do it quicker or slower. There is no rush.

Although.. Sometimes It bothers me that I have to go through all this trouble and this is all before I even get staarted with the actual degree at the university and I am not getting any younger either... and then I realise that nothing or no one is really streessing me. Its all just me.

At least I have a plan. At least I have figured out what I want to do. And so have you.

So you get on it and power through those three hours a day and you will do well.

All the best

Shiv

I'm the same, juggling family and study.
I finish my a level this year and I've enrolled with the open university to start this October to do the maths degree.
Reply 30
Original post by RuthieG101
I'm the same, juggling family and study.
I finish my a level this year and I've enrolled with the open university to start this October to do the maths degree.

Thats brilliant!
Roughly how much time were you able to put into your A levels daily?

All the best and loads of fun at the Uni :smile:
Reply 31
Hi everyone,

Kind regards,
Rebecca
I feel you i'm self studying one subject and I am doing it through an online distance learning college (because I need the reference plus they give you some work)

the book you definitely need for psychology is the complete companion hers the link:
https://www.educationumbrella.com/the-complete-companions-aqa-psychology-year-1-and-as-student-book/9780198338642/2/1?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1-fVBRC3ARIsAIifYOMQksZ4r4yhdJEK6bxGDaz-i7K39W1ztyXHJlKO8mCneBrDbCkTql0aAjjvEALw_wcB
get the revision guide as well its soo helpful
I have a revision guide and AS book if you want, you can dm me :smile:
for the sociology I see a lot of people usiong this book:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_unJHwAACAAJ&dq=sociology+a+level&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiwsNmY6ozaAhXKesAKHaK2BeAQ6AEIKTAA

hope it helps :smile:
Original post by shiv84
Thats brilliant!
Roughly how much time were you able to put into your A levels daily?

All the best and loads of fun at the Uni :smile:

I get max 4 hours a day during the week. I average out at about 16 hours a week.
My degree requires between 18 and 20 hours per week so I won't be able to put off some evenings.
Reply 33
Original post by RuthieG101
I get max 4 hours a day during the week. I average out at about 16 hours a week.
My degree requires between 18 and 20 hours per week so I won't be able to put off some evenings.

All the best
Reply 34
Hi Rebecca ,
I guess you are doing the CIE a level , so I would recommend z notes( www.znotes.org ) for detailed notes . I have decided recently to self-study my A levels as well ( I'm doing bio , Chem and maths) . If you are looking for subjects without coursework I would suggest maths , further maths and economics that depends on the course you want to do later at uni) . I do have a study group on Skype. If you would like to join PM me

Quick Reply

Latest