The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Student Accomodation help for foreigners

I'm going to attend a university in Edinburgh starting in September. My boyfriend is going to attend another university in Edinburgh.
Due to a limited budget, we would like to live together. Since we're both from different countries we have no idea about how the whole student accommodation thing works, especially in our case.

How much rent per month should we expect in Edinburgh?
Is it possible to share a dorm room at a university, even though one of us does not attend that university?
What other options are there, besides university halls and privately owned dorms? How common are these options?
When should we start applying for accomodation? I'm very concerned that we're already too late.

Thank you very much in advance!
Original post by cappa2
I'm going to attend a university in Edinburgh starting in September. My boyfriend is going to attend another university in Edinburgh.
Due to a limited budget, we would like to live together. Since we're both from different countries we have no idea about how the whole student accommodation thing works, especially in our case.

How much rent per month should we expect in Edinburgh?
Is it possible to share a dorm room at a university, even though one of us does not attend that university?
What other options are there, besides university halls and privately owned dorms? How common are these options?
When should we start applying for accomodation? I'm very concerned that we're already too late.

Thank you very much in advance!

1) Anything from £500-£700 a month for a single shared room is normal. Seriously
2) I don't think you can share hall rooms. The university does offer rental properties for couples, though. Call up Accommodation, Catering and Events for more information
3) Privately-owned dorms/halls are very expensive. Expect to pay £7000 per academic year for one. Private rental sector through the university is much cheaper.
4) Applications for halls are open now.

I'll move this to the Edinburgh subforum :borat:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
1) Anything from £500-£700 a month for a single shared room is normal. Seriously
2) I don't think you can share hall rooms. The university does offer rental properties for couples, though. Call up Accommodation, Catering and Events for more information
3) Privately-owned dorms/halls are very expensive. Expect to pay £7000 per academic year for one. Private rental sector through the university is much cheaper.
4) Applications for halls are open now.

I'll move this to the Edinburgh subforum :borat:

Thank you very much! I applied to the University of Edinburgh and didn't receive an offer yet (no idea if that's good or not) but my boyfriend did so he could already apply for housing but since I didn't receive my offer yet I'm not sure about what we're supposed to do. Does that mean we're already late when it comes to accommodation?
Again, thank you very much for your help!
Original post by cappa2
Thank you very much! I applied to the University of Edinburgh and didn't receive an offer yet (no idea if that's good or not) but my boyfriend did so he could already apply for housing but since I didn't receive my offer yet I'm not sure about what we're supposed to do. Does that mean we're already late when it comes to accommodation?
Again, thank you very much for your help!

Nope. You're not late.

The deadline is around the middle of August, so plenty of time left.
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
Nope. You're not late.

The deadline is around the middle of August, so plenty of time left.

Oh I'm very glad about that, I was very nervous for a second there!
I read that mostly first-year students live in dorms and "older" students live in flat shares? Is that true?
Original post by cappa2
Oh I'm very glad about that, I was very nervous for a second there!
I read that mostly first-year students live in dorms and "older" students live in flat shares? Is that true?

Indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending