Want more information about this university?

University of Kent vs University of Birmingham for law

Watch
kkokmloi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Having visited both universities, I liked Kent better than Birmingham, but on the other hand, Birmingham is a red brick university, and a founding member of the Russell Group.

If I select Kent over Birmingham, I am not sure how it would affect my career prospects.

Another reason for me to prefer Kent is that the course I applied for is Law and Philosophy. I think it would be beneficial for me in terms of growing intellectually and simultaneously pursuing my passion for understanding and applying law .

Could anyone please help me out ASAP?

PS I also hold offers from York and Reading but I have narrowed it down to Kent and Birmingham.
abhinair3004
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a kinda skewed opinion , I'd go for York over the other three unis. But, you've already narrowed it down to Kent and Birmingham. My advice to you would be to compare the modules and check what you're missing out on or what you're gaining on at either uni. Then compare the unis itself and then the cities. As far as the title of "RG Uni" goes , don't pay too much heed to it. What matters is how comfortable you are at uni and how the course material influences you , in particular.
kkokmloi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by abhinair3004)
I have a kinda skewed opinion , I'd go for York over the other three unis. But, you've already narrowed it down to Kent and Birmingham. My advice to you would be to compare the modules and check what you're missing out on or what you're gaining on at either uni. Then compare the unis itself and then the cities. As far as the title of "RG Uni" goes , don't pay too much heed to it. What matters is how comfortable you are at uni and how the course material influences you , in particular.
Thank you for replying. Could you please weigh in on the career prospects in law for both unis?
abhinair3004
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kkokmloi)
Thank you for replying. Could you please weigh in on the career prospects in law for both unis?
Honestly , the unis are the last thing they see when they select you. The only difference there might be in job prospects is if one uni arranges more career fairs and has a better support system than the other. This kind of info can only be provided to you by an erstwhile student of those unis. But , imo the opportunities in Birmingham might be a lot better than Kent.
Relaxxx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abhinair3004)
Honestly , the unis are the last thing they see when they select you. The only difference there might be in job prospects is if one uni arranges more career fairs and has a better support system than the other. This kind of info can only be provided to you by an erstwhile student of those unis. But , imo the opportunities in Birmingham might be a lot better than Kent.
Is this true - I thought top Russell's were over represented at law firms especially in London checking statistics.
Historian1789
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Kent has excellent career prospects in law. There are many networking events with law firms/people in profession throughout the year, careers fair is really great as well as general support from the Careers Department. Plus, there are several internships and work experience placements in legal sector that are available exclusively for Kent students. Take a look at some EP Scheme rewards for this year, I saw many opportunities available there: https://www.kent.ac.uk/employability...-Pack-2018.pdf This Scheme is unique to Kent and no other university in the UK has identical opportunities.

As Kent student I am happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
abhinair3004
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Relaxxx)
Is this true - I thought top Russell's were over represented at law firms especially in London checking statistics.
The only difference is that RG unis would be able to attract the Magic Circle firms for career fairs and stuff, which other smaller unis might not be able to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (732)
33.83%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (926)
42.79%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
18.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads