The Student Room Group

Could I change from A level to AS right now

I am doing A level Physics just wanted to know if it was possible for me to change it to just an AS (AQA exam board) without having to pay a hefty fee, I want to know if I can do it right now or if it is too late

Do you think it is possible

Background:

Doing 4 a levels currently ( bio maths physics chem) and feel that four is too much to bear for a2
I'm pretty sure you can just drop it since you're doing 4, even if you're doing A2, just speak to your teachers.
Original post by Radioactivedecay
I'm pretty sure you can just drop it since you're doing 4, even if you're doing A2, just speak to your teachers.

I dont really want to drop it because I have worked for the past 8 months on it and I dont really want that to go to waste and rather just get an AS out of it if i can
*bump*
*bumpy* *bump*
Original post by studentintroubl
*bumpy* *bump*

*bump*
*bump*

*bump!*
I dont really want to drop it because I have worked for the past 8 months on it and I dont really want that to go to waste and rather just get an AS out of it if i can

Dropping a subject at A2 does not revoke the AS qualification you have, since you already took the exam. Dw bout it, I did A2 chemistry for about 3 months then dropped it and I still have my AS.
(edited 6 years ago)
I am doing the new linear A levels so it doesn't work like that for me, either I do an AS or i do an exam at the end of the two years, there is nothing modular
Original post by Radioactivedecay
Dropping a subject at A2 does not revoke the AS qualification you have, since you already took the exam. Dw bout it, I did A2 chemistry for about 3 months then dropped and I still have my AS.
Reply 9
It's possible but the best thing to do is to talk to your school. it's still early enough for the school to get a complete refund of the A level Physics entry
Original post by Compost
It's possible but the best thing to do is to talk to your school. it's still early enough for the school to get a complete refund of the A level Physics entry

So you do think its possible for me to change my entry to AS without a hefty fee, I really hope I can as I really dont want to waste 8 months of physics
I am doing A level Physics just wanted to know if it was possible for me to change it to just an AS (AQA exam board) without having to pay a hefty fee, I want to know if I can do it right now or if it is too late

Do you think it is possible

Background:

Doing 4 a levels currently ( bio maths physics chem) and feel that four is too much to bear for a2

Discuss this with your school. You could still be entered for the AS exams in the summer but you have missed the normal entry deadline so the fees will be higher. Your school will probably have structured the A level course so that the AS content is taught in the first year so you will have covered what you need to know BUT they may have structured teaching differently.
Original post by gdunne42
Discuss this with your school. You could still be entered for the AS exams in the summer but you have missed the normal entry deadline so the fees will be higher. Your school will probably have structured the A level course so that the AS content is taught in the first year so you will have covered what you need to know BUT they may have structured teaching differently.

My school have structured it so that we cover the AS (first year content) first so that aspect is fine, but do you think that I will have to pay a fee because its not like I am asking for a totally new entry to a new exam board; I just want to change it from A level to AS
My school have structured it so that we cover the AS (first year content) first so that aspect is fine, but do you think that I will have to pay a fee because its not like I am asking for a totally new entry to a new exam board; I just want to change it from A level to AS

Are you entered for A level exams this summer and want to change the A level to just AS or will you be entered for A level exams in 2019?
Your exams office is the best place for advice on fees and whether the school would ask you to pay them.
Are you entered for A level exams this summer and want to change the A level to just AS or will you be entered for A level exams in 2019?
Your exams office is the best place for advice on fees and whether the school would ask you to pay them.

I am a year 1 student set to do A level physics exam in the summer of 2019 but I would rather do it as an AS in the summer of 2018; I want to know if it is possible for me to change it to an AS without needing to pay hefty fees
Original post by studintroub01
I am a year 1 student set to do A level physics exam in the summer of 2019 but I would rather do it as an AS in the summer of 2018; I want to know if it is possible for me to change it to an AS without needing to pay hefty fees

Then no fee has been paid to do exams this year and you would have to do a late entry for AS physics in summer 2018. There will be exam entry fees to pay that are higher for a late entry, only your school can tell you whether you would be required to pay for them.
Then no fee has been paid to do exams this year and you would have to do a late entry for AS physics in summer 2018. There will be exam entry fees to pay that are higher for a late entry, only your school can tell you whether you would be required to pay for them.

oh that is vry sad to hear:frown:
Reply 17
*bump!*

Please don't bump threads. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I inferred that you were taking your A levels this Summer but reading your later posts you seem to be saying that you are just in the first year of your A levels. If this is the case then it means:

That what I said about getting a refund on the A level entry is rubbish as they won't have entered you.(and won't do so until next February)

It will cost double fees to enter AS Physics now - that's around £100 in total. You'd have to discuss with your school whether they would pay half/all of it.

Quick Reply

Latest