The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Postgraduate Accomodation Advice

I've been offered a place on a Masters course starting Sept 2018. Does anyone have advice on accomodation for postgrads? Do people tend to go for Uni halls, private halls or shared houses?

Trying to figure out which option gives the best balance of social and quiet to study.
Thanks 😊
Original post by Echaps
I've been offered a place on a Masters course starting Sept 2018. Does anyone have advice on accomodation for postgrads? Do people tend to go for Uni halls, private halls or shared houses?

Trying to figure out which option gives the best balance of social and quiet to study.
Thanks 😊

Depending on their preferences it will be all of the above options. Work out what is best for you. You can request postgrad only halls too.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I would recommend looking into housing in Beeston if you are based at UP because it is a thirty minute walk to campus or you can take the tram. A lot of postgrads live in this area because it has a nice ciy centre and supermarkets. There are some cheap rents for houses if you find a roomate.
Original post by Echaps

Thanks 😊

I'm literally in the same boat as u right now, i was thinking Broadgate, raleigh park or the halls on jubilee campus. I'm going to the post grad open day on wednesday where hopefully ill have a better perspective about where i want to live...
What course are u doing? im on for MSc Mechanical Engineering. Also u going back to uni or just following on from a bachelor's degree?
Reply 4
Original post by malcolmmarecki
I'm literally in the same boat as u right now, i was thinking Broadgate, raleigh park or the halls on jubilee campus. I'm going to the post grad open day on wednesday where hopefully ill have a better perspective about where i want to live...
What course are u doing? im on for MSc Mechanical Engineering. Also u going back to uni or just following on from a bachelor's degree?

I'm doing MA Viking and Anglo Saxon studies. Actually did my UG at Notts but finished in 2015 so a bit of a break.

I'm deciding between the same. Thinking Raleigh park or Jubilee at the moment. I was in Broadgate for my first year and it's really close to the Uni but lots of first years there so not sure about the postgrad community. I think as a postgrad you're assigned to a postgrad only flat but I can't find anything to confirm that!
Original post by Echaps
I'm doing MA Viking and Anglo Saxon studies. Actually did my UG at Notts but finished in 2015 so a bit of a break.

I'm deciding between the same. Thinking Raleigh park or Jubilee at the moment. I was in Broadgate for my first year and it's really close to the Uni but lots of first years there so not sure about the postgrad community. I think as a postgrad you're assigned to a postgrad only flat but I can't find anything to confirm that!

You are going to love the MA in Viking and Anglo-Saxon Studies! I just graduated from the course in December. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
Reply 6
Original post by F1eetwoodmac
You are going to love the MA in Viking and Anglo-Saxon Studies! I just graduated from the course in December. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

I'm really excited to start. I've only heard good things from people who've finished the course. Do you mind me asking what modules you were offered/took? Also how many people were in your cohort?
Original post by Echaps
I'm really excited to start. I've only heard good things from people who've finished the course. Do you mind me asking what modules you were offered/took? Also how many people were in your cohort?

First semester: Old Norse I, Old English I, The Hammer and the Cross, and Intro to Viking Methodology.

Second: Old Icelandic texts, Place-Names, and Runes (I sat in on Old English II, but didn't take it for a mark).

My intersts are on the Viking side of things and not Anglo-Saxon though. There were about 13 in our cohort.
Original post by Echaps

nice, i made the assumption i would be with only post-grads in halls, im coming from Coventry Uni so i don't really know Nottingham at all but everyone seems to speak well of it. In my last 3 years of uni i've enjoyed living in a house with a full bed and living room... so i'm dreading moving back to halls a little bit. But i think it's just the easiest way to meet new people, moving to a new city etc... If u live on jubilee campus do u know how long it takes to get the main University campus (particularly the engineering buildings) this was why i was keen on broadgate park, as it seemed about a 15-20 minute walk so very easy and also close to the Uni gym
nice, i made the assumption i would be with only post-grads in halls, im coming from Coventry Uni so i don't really know Nottingham at all but everyone seems to speak well of it. In my last 3 years of uni i've enjoyed living in a house with a full bed and living room... so i'm dreading moving back to halls a little bit. But i think it's just the easiest way to meet new people, moving to a new city etc... If u live on jubilee campus do u know how long it takes to get the main University campus (particularly the engineering buildings) this was why i was keen on broadgate park, as it seemed about a 15-20 minute walk so very easy and also close to the Uni gym

Hi sorry for the late reply. I lived in Raleigh Park my first semester which is on the Jubliee campus. I could easily get to uni park via the Hopper bus or walking (about 25-30 min to engineering buildings depending on how long it takes to cross streets due to traffic). It is also closer to Nottingham city centre over Broadgate. I had my own room at Raleigh, but bathrooms and kitchen are shared. I was told to live there by the athletics department though, but it worked out and is mainly American postgrads. I also lived in a house in Beeston which is a great suburb of Nottingham that is more catered to independent living. Beeston has a lot of coffee shops, supermarkets, etc. I will likely move back here if I come back to Notts for a PhD. My year on the course was very tight and I mainly hung out with them and not my roommates so do not feel pressured to live in halls to find friends, you will find them based on your interests.

Hi, how was your experience at the open day? I am looking for self-catered accommodation for postgrads near East Entrance of University Park Campus. I am joining School of Psychology. Any suggestions on Cloister House or Melton Hall? Broadgate Park will be far for me! Is their good connectivity from Cloister and Melton- any experience? Thanks
Reply 11

Nottingham is a great Uni and I'm sure you'll love it there. The campus is huge and I think what you study kind of impacts where you choose to live - I lived at Broadgate for my 1st year UG degree. It's really close to the Uni Humanities and sports buildings - science etc are on the other side of the campus which can be an extra 15 mins. From Jubilee I think it's about 20-30 mins on the bus in morning traffic. I know people who lived there and had no problems getting in as there are very regular buses. It's also a really beautiful and modern looking campus.

In the second and third years I lived in Lenton which is close to where Raleigh Park is and I didn't have any problems getting to the University Park campus. There are very regular buses but I often cycled in which took 10-15 mins.

I'm exactly the same in terms of dreading moving back to halls and basically assuming I'm going to be the only postgrad there. My cohort will be pretty small so I'm counting on halls to meet people. It's good to know someone else is in the same boat!
Original post by Vashisthashubhi
Hi, how was your experience at the open day? I am looking for self-catered accommodation for postgrads near East Entrance of University Park Campus. I am joining School of Psychology. Any suggestions on Cloister House or Melton Hall? Broadgate Park will be far for me! Is their good connectivity from Cloister and Melton- any experience? Thanks

Hi, The way it was scheduled, I had my meeting with the course director at an awkward time so only actually got to view 1 accommodation option: Broadgate park. If the school of Psychology is near the engineering buildings (i think it is but not 100% sure) i think the time from melton hall or broadgate park will be very similar time. Melton via bus or Broadgate on foot both approximately 15 to 20 minutes. I looked at online reviews of melton hall and it looks nice but the reviews were bad:
https://www.studentcrowd.com/hall-l1004971-s1044560-melton-hall-university_of_nottingham_the-nottingham . Broadgate park didnt look that great tbh, but i'm still considering it, i really wanted a double bed and an en-suite, however it's looking like this won't be possible unless i get a studio (which i don't want, sounds very secluded)... Broadgate park takes around 400 PG students, which i think sounds quite good to have a strong PG community. I believe there are buses from Jubilee: which if your in Cloister or melton you can use however i didn't take the bus although u do see the buses come pick up students on campus.

So my only actual experience was with broadgate park unfortunately...
Reply 13
Hey, I’m going to be starting in September and I’ll be looking for a shared house.
I think that halls just remind me too much of freshers and tbh you pay way more for so much less (little tiny bed). I’ve much preferred living in a shared house for the past 3 years.
I think halls may be a good option for international students who perhaps don’t know how to sort out housing elsewhere though
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tel32
Hey, I’m going to be starting in September and I’ll be looking for a shared house.
I think that halls just remind me too much of freshers and tbh you pay way more for so much less (little tiny bed). I’ve much preferred living in a shared house for the past 3 years.
I think halls may be a good option for international students who perhaps don’t know how to sort out housing elsewhere though

The living in a small bed and lack of normal house amenities is something that'll be quite frustrating about living in halls, i just like the idea of being close to campus and easy to make a load of new mates in a place where i currently don't know anyone. How do u intend to find new house mates tho, or do u know a group of people in Nottingham already?
Reply 15
The living in a small bed and lack of normal house amenities is something that'll be quite frustrating about living in halls, i just like the idea of being close to campus and easy to make a load of new mates in a place where i currently don't know anyone. How do u intend to find new house mates tho, or do u know a group of people in Nottingham already?

It reminds me of being 18 again and so I personally feel like living in halls is a bit immature now. There’s lots of housing close to campus too, I’ve just had a look by searching online eg student areas in Nottingham, including information on UoN website. There’s lots depending on which campus you are on. For instance Beeston, Dunkirk and Lenton are student areas.
I can imagine it may be easier to make friends in halls but I intend on making lots of friends trough societies so I’m not too bothered about that.
I don’t know anyone in Nottingham but I used the website Spare Room to find housing when I lived in Birmingham, so I 100% recommend that. There’s also other websites like Unipol which has forums to post ads. So I intend on finding housing that way, or posting around to get a new group together.
Guaranteed, choosing halls is much easier so is a good option for some people but definitely not me (plus it’s soooooo expensive)
Original post by Echaps

Thanks 😊

Congratulations on getting a place for your Masters!

Have you considered Student Roost for your accommodation? We have three properties in Nottingham (Hydrogen, Trinity Square and Nottingham 2). All are well located depending upon how close you'd like to be to the city or the university. Our rents are inclusive of all bills and we offer onsite facilities. Properties are manned 24/7, so you always have a point of contact whilst living with us.

If you'd like to arrange a viewing this please contact our team today.

CW
(edited 6 years ago)
I am looking for self-catered accommodation for postgrads near Riseholme Park Campus of University of Lincoln. I am joining for MSc Agri-Food Technology. Any suggestions?
Original post by Anu_
I am looking for self-catered accommodation for postgrads near Riseholme Park Campus of University of Lincoln. I am joining for MSc Agri-Food Technology. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest u ask on the Uo Lincoln page... not on the Uo Nottingham forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending