The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone who has done an Open University course (BA Honours Language Studies)

Hello,

I have never been to university but am now looking at doing a course at the Open University. I am mostly looking at BA (Honours) Language Studies with English and French but may also be interested in BA (Honours) English Language and Literature.

I would be interested to hear about experiences of others who have been to or are currently doing Open University. Going to a 'brick' uni isn't an option for me, so at the moment it's either OU or full time work!

If anyone has done either of these courses too, I'd love to hear how you found them.

I live in Sevenoaks, has anyone from this area done OU?

Original post by Louisecbr
Hello,

I have never been to university but am now looking at doing a course at the Open University. I am mostly looking at BA (Honours) Language Studies with English and French but may also be interested in BA (Honours) English Language and Literature.

I would be interested to hear about experiences of others who have been to or are currently doing Open University. Going to a 'brick' uni isn't an option for me, so at the moment it's either OU or full time work!

If anyone has done either of these courses too, I'd love to hear how you found them.

I live in Sevenoaks, has anyone from this area done OU?

I know a little about it if you have specific questions, but for a more detailed account you'd do better asking on Facebook (there is an OU Language Studies groups there).

The Language Studies degree is very dry, by that I mean there's a lot of language learning (opposed to studying). Almost all your time is spent learning the language and you don't really get a chance to study the literatures, histories or cultures associated with your chosen language (which you would do at a brick university). That said, they have updated the language modules to include a little cultural content, and if you decide to take English language then you will do some in depth study.

Are you more interested in English language or English literature? If the latter, you might prefer the Arts and Humanities degree which enables you to combine a modern language with literature.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply!

I'd be quite happy to have a focus on learning the language, but would hope to learn some of the culture etc too.

I'm interested in both Language and Literature. I studied both at A Level but finished that in 2013 not thinking about continuing the study of those subjects until now. This year I have been studying French once a week which is why I am looking at the English and French course. I do enjoy Literature but I think combining the two (Literature and Language) is my preference.

One of my interests is learning about the English Language and where it has come from and how it has evolved which is why I'd consider following the English Language path plus something else.

I'll have a look at the Arts and Humanities degree though as right now I'm just narrowing down my options, so thanks!

For either of the courses, what are the materials like? For example, any text books I would be sent etc.

Original post by Snufkin
I know a little about it if you have specific questions, but for a more detailed account you'd do better asking on Facebook (there is an OU Language Studies groups there).

The Language Studies degree is very dry, by that I mean there's a lot of language learning (opposed to studying). Almost all your time is spent learning the language and you don't really get a chance to study the literatures, histories or cultures associated with your chosen language (which you would do at a brick university). That said, they have updated the language modules to include a little cultural content, and if you decide to take English language then you will do some in depth study.

Are you more interested in English language or English literature? If the latter, you might prefer the Arts and Humanities degree which enables you to combine a modern language with literature.
I am doing a BA in English Literature at the moment. I am studying AA100 currently and then L101 in October. If you have any English related questions, feel free to ask.

L101 might be of interest to you: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/l101

It is a new year 1 English Language module aimed at setting a grounding for English students. From what you have mentioned, it would be right up your street.
Reply 4
Hey Phillip,

Thanks, that's helpful.

I saw that the L101 is at the start of both the Languages and the Literature degree that I'm am looking into, so that's good as it does look interesting.

English Literature does interest me as I did it at A Level and enjoyed it. I do partly worry about the work load even doing Part Time. How have you found the work load? I understand there are a certain amount of TMAs but on some of the modules I have looked at there is a lot of set reading to do. I'm wondering if the 18 hours they say is part time includes all of the set texts or if it would really end up feeling full time.

If you are studying with the OU, have you found their materials useful and interesting?

Original post by Phillip Banks
I am doing a BA in English Literature at the moment. I am studying AA100 currently and then L101 in October. If you have any English related questions, feel free to ask.

L101 might be of interest to you: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/l101

It is a new year 1 English Language module aimed at setting a grounding for English students. From what you have mentioned, it would be right up your street.
Original post by Louisecbr
Hey Phillip,

Thanks, that's helpful.

I saw that the L101 is at the start of both the Languages and the Literature degree that I'm am looking into, so that's good as it does look interesting.

English Literature does interest me as I did it at A Level and enjoyed it. I do partly worry about the work load even doing Part Time. How have you found the work load? I understand there are a certain amount of TMAs but on some of the modules I have looked at there is a lot of set reading to do. I'm wondering if the 18 hours they say is part time includes all of the set texts or if it would really end up feeling full time.

If you are studying with the OU, have you found their materials useful and interesting?

I am not your traditional part-time student, but I am finding it great. The 18 hours are very liberal, Literature has a lot of set reading but it is manageable. They recommend that you read the texts before you start the module. It is manageable if you start in advance.
Original post by Phillip Banks
I am not your traditional part-time student, but I am finding it great. The 18 hours are very liberal, Literature has a lot of set reading but it is manageable. They recommend that you read the texts before you start the module. It is manageable if you start in advance.

Presumably you haven't actually studied any literature yet, though? I think the only literature component I did in AA100 was Doctor Faustus, and even that was very basic.
Original post by Snufkin
Presumably you haven't actually studied any literature yet, though? I think the only literature component I did in AA100 was Doctor Faustus, and even that was very basic.

What do you constitute as studying?

AA100 has Faustus, The Faber Book of Beasts (Poetry) and A World of Difference (Short stories) in terms of Literature - Literature crops up a fair bit in other disciplines.

I have begun to read the set texts for my level 2 literature modules. I was simply stressing the point that the texts can be studied alongside a module pretty easily. AA100 has basic Literature - A230 has 11 literary texts and A233 has numerous novels. Preliminary reading is advised and is useful, hence why I have started.

My advice to the OP would be to start the preliminary reading as soon as possible if they decide to do Literature.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
I would like to hear from anybody who has been studying language studies full time.
I study languages full time at the OU. I'm on the 2nd year of an Honours degree in French and Spanish, and currently taking L204 and L211. While the coursework may be dry at times, we actually study A LOT about the cultures as well. We've covered things like employment in Spain, illiteracy in South America, social problems in France, cultural spectacles, environmental concerns, how to buy and renovate property... I actually can't even remember most of the topics! If you have to take a Beginner's level, that is the most grammar-study based level. In the first year, there is a compulsory module of L161 Cultures and Languages in which you learn about different things such as online translation tools, stereotyping, integration v. assimilation, etc.If you do full-time (degree in 3 years), it is a VERY heavy workload. The first year will be 4 modules and the following two years will have 2 modules each (though each module has the content of TWO modules). I work part-time and it is A LOT to take on, but I didn't want to do it slowly! Hopefully, I'll graduate in October 2020 and then commence an MA in Translation!
Original post by language_nerd
I study languages full time at the OU. I'm on the 2nd year of an Honours degree in French and Spanish, and currently taking L204 and L211. While the coursework may be dry at times, we actually study A LOT about the cultures as well. We've covered things like employment in Spain, illiteracy in South America, social problems in France, cultural spectacles, environmental concerns, how to buy and renovate property... I actually can't even remember most of the topics! If you have to take a Beginner's level, that is the most grammar-study based level. In the first year, there is a compulsory module of L161 Cultures and Languages in which you learn about different things such as online translation tools, stereotyping, integration v. assimilation, etc.If you do full-time (degree in 3 years), it is a VERY heavy workload. The first year will be 4 modules and the following two years will have 2 modules each (though each module has the content of TWO modules). I work part-time and it is A LOT to take on, but I didn't want to do it slowly! Hopefully, I'll graduate in October 2020 and then commence an MA in Translation!

How are you getting on with the degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending