The Student Room Group

what university did you get into and with what grades

i want to do mechanical engineering at a Russel group or similar uni but i don't think my grades are good enough and i don't think my personal statement would be amazing.

what uni did you get into? what are your GCSE like? and do you do many extra curricular things or work experience

thank you

Scroll to see replies

Look up the course on the university's website and it will tell you the entry requirements. GCSEs won't matter much at all and neither will extra curriculars. Unlike industry, (where experience trumps academic achievement) unis will be focusing on your a levels.
Reply 2
Original post by Student-95
Look up the course on the university's website and it will tell you the entry requirements. GCSEs won't matter much at all and neither will extra curriculars. Unlike industry, (where experience trumps academic achievement) unis will be focusing on your a levels.

Really???
Are you speaking from personal experience?
Original post by tom123h456
Really???
Are you speaking from personal experience?

Which part surprises you? They're called "entry requirements" for a reason - that's what is required for entry. There will be exceptions if the course is very popular but for the most part that's what you need.
Reply 4
Which part surprises you? They're called "entry requirements" for a reason - that's what is required for entry. There will be exceptions if the course is very popular but for the most part that's what you need.

So if I get top grades and do nothing else I should get in
So if I get top grades and do nothing else I should get in

Yes
Reply 6
Yes

I find this hard to believe. even for engineering?

Why? Take a look on the websites of unis you are considering and they won't say anything about extra curriculars or work experience and probably won't mention GCSEs either (maybe something basic like C/B in maths and/or English).

Oxbridge is of course very competitive so you will need more there to stand out since most people applying will have top grades but aside from that you'll be fine with top grades alone (and a competent PS).
(edited 6 years ago)

I think a levels and extra curriculars matter, GCSEs not so much as long as they're decent? idek
Reply 9

Especially for engineering. The only exceptions are Oxbridge, and to some extent Imperial and Durham (because they are a bit idiosyncratic).

If you are realistically on target to meet or exceed a university's typical entry requirements for Engineering you will usually get an offer.

You can check typical offer rates for every course at university.which.co.uk and you will see most engineering courses are above 70%.
https://university.which.co.uk/courses

You can also check your predictions using the UCAS offer rate calculator
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Especially for engineering. The only exceptions are Oxbridge, and to some extent Imperial and Durham (because they are a bit idiosyncratic).

If you are realistically on target to meet or exceed a university's typical entry requirements for Engineering you will usually get an offer.

You can check typical offer rates for every course at university.which.co.uk and you will see most engineering courses are above 70%.
https://university.which.co.uk/courses

You can also check your predictions using the UCAS offer rate calculator
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK thank you for confirming. I believe you guys a bit more now.
Reply 11
I believe you guys a bit more now.

Only a bit? :beard:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If one more person confirms I'll believe you a lot but one guy said it's not all about the grades
Reply 13
If one more person confirms I'll believe you a lot but one guy said it's not all about the grades

I don't normally pull rank, but check my posting history (and role at TSR) and also simply check the links I referenced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To get into an engineering degree your grades are pretty much the only thing that matters. It's very rare to have any work experience as it's not something that companies typically offer pre-university students.
Reply 15
Original post by Smack
To get into an engineering degree your grades are pretty much the only thing that matters. It's very rare to have any work experience as it's not something that companies typically offer pre-university students.

:five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK Ill believe you now.
I don't normally pull rank, but check my posting history (and role at TSR) and also simply check the links I referenced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are personal statements important
Reply 18
Are personal statements important

Not very for Engineering at most universities.
Not very for Engineering at most universities.

"Most" does that include Russel groups (excluding oxbridge of course)

Quick Reply

Latest