The Student Room Group

Positives about Islam?

I see so much negatives and want people to say one positive thing about Islam.
I will start off:
First University that was opened by a woman was a Muslim woman. University of Al Quaraouiyine

Scroll to see replies

Islam is positives only don’t build a view of islam on the picture of supposed “muslims” if you want to know islam Read!! In fact the first verse of the Quran that ever came to existence is “Read” (its not the first verse you’ll see when you open the Quran its the first verse that was ever given to the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) I’m saying this to avoid confusion) study islam and i promise you will change your opinion completely
Moved to faith and spirituality
It finds usury contemptible, and rightly so.
only thing positive is the negatives
Original post by marwakhalid
I see so much negatives and want people to say one positive thing about Islam.
I will start off:
First University that was opened by a woman was a Muslim woman. University of Al Quaraouiyine

it is debateable whether Al Quaraouiyine should be regarded as a 'Univervisty' as such , seeing as it was founded originally purely an islamic religious school - as oppossed to earlier greek, persian and south asian educational centres that taught various sciences and technologies more than thousand years before

equally the fact that it was founded by a female has not specific bearing to islam given there is no such edict

in terms of positives i would point to the fact that essentially islam emraces all races to become muslims -if it doesnt treat them all well ( ie if you were a black african under arab rule)
other than that its hard to look past the many centuries or war, inequality intolerance and turmoil islams spread has seen
Original post by nerdwannabe1
Islam is positives only don’t build a view of islam on the picture of supposed “muslims” if you want to know islam Read!! In fact the first verse of the Quran that ever came to existence is “Read” (its not the first verse you’ll see when you open the Quran its the first verse that was ever given to the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) I’m saying this to avoid confusion) study islam and i promise you will change your opinion completely

interesting contradiction then that mohammed proclaimed to be the prophet for the world when he himself couldnt read or write.

he insisted that his followers experienced the quran through his teachings rather than reading it
Original post by Reformed
interesting contradiction then that mohammed proclaimed to be the prophet fhe world when he himself couldnt read or write.

he insisted that his followers experienced the quran through his teachings rather than reading it

Yeah his answer was im not a reader then he was told by the angel read again and he kept repeating im not a reader anyway my point is back then the prophet (PBUH) and his companions memorized the Quran they knew it by heart it was put into written form because the prophet and many of the great scholars that memorized the Quran were dying so in order for it to be preserved they put it into written form
it is debateable whether Al Quaraouiyine should be regarded as a 'Univervisty' as such , seeing as it was founded originally purely an islamic religious school - as oppossed to earlier greek, persian and south asian educational centres that taught various sciences and technologies more than thousand years before

equally the fact that it was founded by a female has not specific bearing to islam given there is no such edict

in terms of positives i would point to the fact that essentially islam emraces all races to become muslims -if it doesnt treat them all well ( ie if you were a black african under arab rule)
other than that its hard to look past the many centuries or war, inequality intolerance and turmoil islams spread has seen

War happens everywhere its human nature and islam tells us to try and avoid war and inequality is prohibited in islam so if anyones at fault its not islam its the muslims aaand not all arabs are muslim and not all muslims are arab
Original post by Chucke1992
In Islam you can leave with a bang

As in abandon the religion?
Yeah his answer was im not a reader then he was told by the angel read again and he kept repeating im not a reader anyway my point is back then the prophet (PBUH) and his companions memorized the Quran they knew it by heart it was put into written form because the prophet and many of the great scholars that memorized the Quran were dying so in order for it to be preserved they put it into written form

to be specifically accurate, the quran was not written down in book form to read until many decades after mohammed . so i pointed out the oddity in the first place of an illiterate being told to 'read' if he was to be a prophet for the world
Quick points of some of the positives that have come about either directly or indirectly, from the teachings of Islam:
1.The Founder Of Child Benefits, Pensions, Disability Benefits - First Welfare System & Social Justice System for Humanity Umar (Omar) bin al-Khattab, the Second Khalifa of the Muslims
2. Almost 2 billion followers, the vast majority are law-abiding, peaceful inhabitants of the world.
3. 7th - 13th Century: Huge advancements in science, philosophy, medicine, mathematics and education.
4. The Islamic empire was the first “truly universal civilization,”
5. Intellectual centres in Baghdad, Andalusia, Cairo, West Africa and Persia
6. Muslim scholars amongst the first to debate ethics and to investigate pollution, starting off concern about the environment.
7. Inventions of camera obscura, coffee, soap bar, tooth paste, shampoo, distilled alcohol, uric acid, nitric acid, alembic, valve, reciprocating suction piston pump, mechanized waterclocks, quilting, surgical catgut, vertical-axle windmill, inoculation, cryptanalysis,frequency analysis, three-course meal, stained glass and quartz glass, Persian carpet, and celestial globe - to name a few.
8. Justice system influencing all law including western law.
These are the few I could think of off the top of my head, I'll let others join in and add to it :wink:
SALAM! (Peace)
Original post by DeLegend27
only thing positive is the negatives

not true
to be specifically accurate, the quran was not written down in book form to read until many decades after mohammed . so i pointed out the oddity in the first place of an illiterate being told to 'read' if he was to be a prophet for the world

He was told to read of the Quran not as in literally read but as in recite because in islam even when we recite the Quran from our hearts we use the word “اقرأ" “Read” (and allah knows best) everything allah does has a meaning behind it but not everyone can understand why and some of what no man knows is what allah only knows and some is not known because us humans have not advanced enough to understand (and allah knows best) and it might also be that it has some other meaning that i have no knowledge of so I’ll ask
thanks for the question even though its not a question
(edited 6 years ago)
Being delusional may, occasionally, be beneficial, but I'd rather know what's true.
(1) Reply to thread - The Student Room

Original post by BlueBro97
Quick points of some of the positives that have come about either directly or indirectly, from the teachings of Islam:
1.The Founder Of Child Benefits, Pensions, Disability Benefits - First Welfare System & Social Justice System for Humanity Umar (Omar) bin al-Khattab, the Second Khalifa of the Muslims
2. Almost 2 billion followers, the vast majority are law-abiding, peaceful inhabitants of the world.
3. 7th - 13th Century: Huge advancements in science, philosophy, medicine, mathematics and education.
4. The Islamic empire was the first “truly universal civilization,”
6. Muslim scholars amongst the first to debate ethics and to investigate pollution, starting off concern about the environment.
7. Inventions of camera obscura, coffee, soap bar, tooth paste, shampoo, distilled alcohol, uric acid, nitric acid, alembic, valve, reciprocating suction piston pump, mechanized waterclocks, quilting, surgical catgut, vertical-axle windmill, inoculation, cryptanalysis,frequency analysis, three-course meal, stained glass and quartz glass, Persian carpet, and celestial globe - to name a few.
8. Justice system influencing all law including western law.
These are the few I could think of off the top of my head, I'll let others join in and add to it
SALAM! (Peace)

---Quick points of some of the positives that have come about either directly or indirectly, "from the teachings of Islam:"
1.The Founder Of Child Benefits, Pensions, Disability Benefits - First Welfare System & Social Justice System for Humanity Umar (Omar) bin al-Khattab, the Second Khalifa of the Muslims - recorded tradition in pre-islamic judaic middle east as well as under chinese emporerers

2. Almost 2 billion followers, the vast majority are law-abiding, peaceful inhabitants of the world. Can be said of Christanity
3. 7th - 13th Century: Huge advancements in science, philosophy, medicine, mathematics and education. - True , primarily as a result of muslims of that era being educated by the older greek, persian and indian works of science and technology they came in contact with

4. The Islamic empire was the first “truly universal civilization,” - ??Roman Empire??
6. Muslim scholars amongst the first to debate ethics and to investigate pollution, starting off concern about the environment.- Really, not heard this one ?
7. Inventions of camera obscura (Chinese -Mozi, then Greek - Anthemius ) coffee ( pre-islamic Ethiopia) , soap bar ( Babylonian, ancient Egypt and rome), tooth paste (ancient egypt and first modern chemical paste in USA) , shampoo ( India), distilled alcohol ( anceint Iraq- Sumerians) , uric acid, nitric acid,(Greeks -Galen) , valve ( ancient egypt/ Rome) piston pump (Greeks Archimedes) - and mechanized waterclocks ( Egypt and Baylonians), quilting, surgical catgut, vertical-axle windmill, inoculation,(India and China) cryptanalysis,frequency analysis (True - although Al-Kindi whom you refer is famed from learning his techniques from Aristotles books and various Indian mathematicians) three-course meal, ( russia) stained glass and quartz glass( Phoenicia and South Asia), Persian carpet ( probably pre-islamic persia also), and celestial globe (ancient greeks - lookup Farnese Atlas
- to name a few.
8. Justice system influencing all law including western law- i guess you are really struggling at this point - Law? Ancient china, greece, rome egypt, Sumerians, assyrians, judaic societies. becuase the arabs didnt have a civilised system of law, the ideas mohammed introduced seemed revolutionery - but they were copied
These are the few I could think of off the top of my head, I'll let others join in and add to it
(edited 6 years ago)
(1) Reply to thread - The Student Room

---Quick points of some of the positives that have come about either directly or indirectly, from the teachings of Islam:
1.The Founder Of Child Benefits, Pensions, Disability Benefits - First Welfare System & Social Justice System for Humanity Umar (Omar) bin al-Khattab, the Second Khalifa of the Muslims - recorded tradition in pre-islamic judaic middle east as well as under chinese emporerers

2. Almost 2 billion followers, the vast majority are law-abiding, peaceful inhabitants of the world. Can said of Christanity
3. 7th - 13th Century: Huge advancements in science, philosophy, medicine, mathematics and education. - True , primarily as a result of muslims of that era being educated by the older greek, persian and indian works of science and technology they came in contact with

4. The Islamic empire was the first “truly universal civilization,” - ??Roman Empire??
6. Muslim scholars amongst the first to debate ethics and to investigate pollution, starting off concern about the environment.- Really, not heard this one ?
7. Inventions of camera obscura (Chinese -Mozi, then Greek - Anthemius ) coffee ( pre-islamic Ethiopia) , soap bar ( Babylonian, ancient Egypt and rome), tooth paste (ancient egypt and first modern chemical paste in USA) , shampoo ( India), distilled alcohol ( anceint Iraq- Sumerians) , uric acid, nitric acid,(Greeks -Galen) , valve ( ancient egypt/ Rome) piston pump (Greeks Archimedes) - and mechanized waterclocks ( Egypt and Baylonians), quilting, surgical catgut, vertical-axle windmill, inoculation,(India and China) cryptanalysis,frequency analysis (True - although Al-Kindi whom you refer is famed from learning his techniques from Aristotles books and various Indian mathematicians) three-course meal, ( russia) stained glass and quartz glass( Phoenicia and South Asia), Persian carpet ( probably pre-islamic persia also), and celestial globe (ancient greeks - lookup Farnese Atlas
- to name a few.
8. Justice system influencing all law including western law- i guess you are really struggling at this point - Law? Ancient china, greece, rome egypt, Sumerians, assyrians, judaic societies. becuase the arabs didnt have a civilised system of law, the ideas mohammed introduced seemed revolutionery - but they were copied

Well conquering the areas of previous civilizations helps a lot
He was told to read of the Quran not as in literally read but as in recite because in islam even when we recite the Quran from our hearts we use the word “اقرأ" “Read” (and allah knows best) everything allah does has a meaning behind it but not everyone can understand why and some of what no man knows is what allah only knows and some is not known because us humans have not advanced enough to understand (and allah knows best) and it might also be that it has some other meaning that i have no knowledge of so I’ll ask
thanks for the question even though its not a question

ok so to summarrise - it doesnt necessarrily mean for anyone to 'read' at all
Original post by Chucke1992
Well conquering the areas of previous civilizations helps a lot

indeed - while the early arab muslims imprinted their own customs on islamic tradition -science maths and technology was not amoung those - it took the conquest of persia, middle east and later forays into asia for the level of civlisation and education he refers to to become synonymous in the muslim world
(edited 6 years ago)
Ability to make-up words that are not constrained by the meaning of their individual parts, e.g. Islamophobia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending