The Student Room Group

ECONOMICS STUDENTS Economics degree without a level economics

I don't do a level economics or maths, but some unis ask for neither for the economics degree
As an economics student would you say this is a good idea?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not having A Level economics isn't a problem. I'm fairly sure no economics course in the country requires the A Level.

The best universities for economics will require maths. I'll bet all the 'top 10' unis will want maths and a few others too.

So yes, you can technically do a degree in economics without either maths or economics A Level, but economics can be very maths-heavy so it's your choice whether you would actually enjoy studying it.
You can't do economics without a level maths, unless you wanna go to some (ex)poly.
You don't need economics A level its probably a load of essays which are not even relevant.

You only need mathematics A level for a degree in Economics.
Original post by Cold Stone
You only need mathematics A level for a degree in Economics.

Only true if you're looking at the top universities.

Some of the universities that will require Maths A Level:
Oxbridge
LSE
Warwick
UCL
Durham
Bath
Bristol

Others may not require A Level if you got at least a 7/A in GCSE, i.e. Nottingham.
Original post by BasicMistake
Only true if you're looking at the top universities.

Some of the universities that will require Maths A Level:
Oxbridge
LSE
Warwick
UCL
Durham
Bath
Bristol

Others may not require A Level if you got at least a 7/A in GCSE, i.e. Nottingham.

Most universities do. I really don't understand how you can study Economics without maths a level a lot of it is applied especially statistics.
Most universities do. I really don't understand how you can study Economics without maths a level a lot of it is applied especially statistics.

The thing is, outside the top unis the vast majority don't require the A Level at all. I actually do agree with you in that a lot of economics is either stats or optimisation but that probably only applies to the universities I listed above. I am currently studying economics and without A Level, it would be impossible but I expect that if I went to a lower ranked university, the course would be very different. They might be BAs and concentrate more on essays and such as opposed to maths.
Not doing Economics isn't a problem - no courses I'm aware of require it. It's the lack of Maths that is the critical issue, as there are relatively few courses that take applicants without A-level Maths. It's not just the "best" universities - even many otherwise "mid tier" universities still require AS/A-level Maths minimum.

I would recommend you look into picking up A-level Maths. As a side note, even if you did apply to a course which didn't require A-level Maths, you will still cover similar content (particularly, calculus and statistics) from A-level Maths. So you aren't "avoiding" doing the maths, you're just delaying it (to a point where you'll have a lot less individual attention and be expected to cover more, more quickly).
Original post by BasicMistake
The thing is, outside the top unis the vast majority don't require the A Level at all. I actually do agree with you in that a lot of economics is either stats or optimisation but that probably only applies to the universities I listed above. I am currently studying economics and without A Level, it would be impossible but I expect that if I went to a lower ranked university, the course would be very different. They might be BAs and concentrate more on essays and such as opposed to maths.

Everything I study is pretty much maths.

You're right but its offered at lower ranked universities.
You probably need A-Level Maths. I didn't do A-Level Economics and I got accepted to Bristol/Exeter.
Original post by artful_lounger
Not doing Economics isn't a problem - no courses I'm aware of require it. It's the lack of Maths that is the critical issue, as there are relatively few courses that take applicants without A-level Maths. It's not just the "best" universities - even many otherwise "mid tier" universities still require AS/A-level Maths minimum.

I would recommend you look into picking up A-level Maths. As a side note, even if you did apply to a course which didn't require A-level Maths, you will still cover similar content (particularly, calculus and statistics) from A-level Maths. So you aren't "avoiding" doing the maths, you're just delaying it (to a point where you'll have a lot less individual attention and be expected to cover more, more quickly).

even for a business and economics course,not straight economics

business with economics courses dont make it a requirement
Original post by smartiecookie
business with economics courses dont make it a requirement

Any Economics course at a top university will require mathematics. I'm not sure what you don't understand about this?
even for a business and economics course,not straight economics

You'll need to check the courses, but quite often even Business/Management courses that have considerable Economics content require A-level Maths. I would suggest contacting the universities you are considering applying to in order to confirm this if it isn't obvious from the published entry criteria, but be prepared for the eventuality that you may need to take A-level Maths.

Beyond that, as previously indicated even if it's not required you'll still cover much of the content once you start most likely, so you may as well at least begin reviewing the material as much as it doesn't affect studying for your other subjects.
Reply 14
I don't do a level economics or maths, but some unis ask for neither for the economics degree
As an economics student would you say this is a good idea?

Firstly, ignore most of the other posts in this thread.

This is the question: Why do you want to study economics at university? How do you know you will enjoy it?

Do not worry about not having an A-Level in economics or mathematics. Universities that do not require these will teach you the necessary content from scratch. Economics, at pretty much every university, is mathematical, but there is a market for everything (hence why some of the responses in this thread from students apparently studying economics baffle me so much).

Please check out the two links in my signature. These go into more depth on the modules covered, the content taught at university, etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by DarthRoar
You can't do economics without a level maths, unless you wanna go to some (ex)poly.

I do not think comments like this are particularly helpful. At no point did the original poster discuss universities (or at least in the edited version of their original post).

But, more importantly, it is not for you to judge or deride the choices that other students make if they attend a "post-1992 university". The Student Room, and in particular, this economics university degree subforum, is not about elitism. It is about offering helpful advice and guidance to potential future students in the field of economics, irrespective of where they are applying.
Reply 16
Original post by username3846126

It is quite simple, really. The universities that do not require A-Level Maths will teach the necessary mathematics and statistics to students on arrival. So from scratch, basically.
Original post by .ACS.
I do not think comments like this are particularly helpful. At no point did the original poster discuss universities (or at least in the edited version of their original post).

But, more importantly, it is not for you to judge or deride the choices that other students make if they attend a "post-1992 university". The Student Room, and in particular, this economics university degree subforum, is not about elitism. It is about offering helpful advice and guidance to potential future students in the field of economics, irrespective of where they are applying.

Title: ECONOMICS STUDENTS Economics degree
Body: some unis ask for neither for the economics degree
So we know it's about universities.

Regardless of your cries of elitism, the best universities with the best career prospects will absolutely require a-level maths. Expolys do not have such good career prospects, thus they can only require a less skilled intake.
Reply 18

I now see you are still in secondary school, so maybe I should have been clearer for you. The original poster never discussed universities in the sense that we have no idea which universities in particular the original poster is interested in.

I think it is blindingly obvious that yes, we are talking about universities in general given the forum that this thread is in, and given the nature of the thread, but you jump the gun and deride post-1992 universities when you have no idea which universities the original poster is talking about.

Regardless of your cries of elitism, the best universities with the best career prospects will absolutely require a-level maths. Expolys do not have such good career prospects, thus they can only require a less skilled intake.

Again, you entirely miss the point. Where does the original poster talk about career prospects, skilled intake, or the like? You being blinded by your view of what is good or bad is resulting in you providing poor advice to a future potential student. We have no clue as to what their career aspirations are, unless you know the poster otherwise and know what they want to do with their life. Furthermore, it may surprise you, but when you finally get through university and begin applying for graduate jobs, to a large extent the university you attend does not matter. Yes, sure, it matters in certain fields and certain careers, but again, we have no idea as to what the original poster wants.

Subject ranks for economics by the complete university guide:
#3 St. Andrews - "AAA including at least one of..." and a long list of sciences that includes maths
#7 Nottingham - "We do not ask students to have either maths or economics at A level. However, maths is our preferred subject"
#12 Loughborough - AAB (maths not mentioned)
#13 Surrey - AAB (maths not mentioned)
#18 Birmingham - AAA (maths not mentioned)

I think you get the picture. These aren't the ex-poly's you seem to randomly hate so much, I picked a handful of big names from the top 20.

So is maths is advised? Yes, I don't think anyone has said otherwise. Is maths required? No and claiming only the worst universities have this is demonstrably wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending