The Student Room Group

What's the least competitive college in Cambridge for law

I know all colleges are pretty competitive, but which ones are less so, as I may apply for them for this September.

I have 60 credits in my access course in law, 45 graded, and 15 ungraded, and I'm predicted to have distinctions in all units.

The reason I picked Cambridge was because they accept access courses more so as opposed to btecs which are more preferred by Oxford. From my research access courses are acceptable and are more highly regarded as I asked UCL and they said they only need 28 credits at distinction and the rest at merit, but in there A levels they ask for A*AA. But out of curiosity I wish to ask from peaples experience here on TSR. Do you think my access course with all the units at distinction is acceptable by Cambridge the same way if someone scores 3 A* at A level, (will I be equal to them) and will that make me eligible for consideration into studying law at Cambridge.

I asked Cambridge and it seems like none of them require any specific grades in there GCSE'S, something similar is also mentioned in there website. That's why I picked them because I did rubbish in my GCSE's, and failed Maths and English, but there not asking for it, nor do they care about it.

They only say that it's best if you have 4 or 5 GCSE'S or the equivalent. And I have a Btec level 2 in performing arts at distinction, so that's 4 A* in my GCSE'S.

Would you say I have a fair chance, and what if I apply for a less competitive degree in Cambridge such as Philosophy and use my Access course in law to get into that and then do a GDL in law.

Thank you all in advance

Scroll to see replies

I look forward to @Doonesbury's response to this.
They may stipulate requirements in English in Maths, although I believe they indicated this was being phased out.

As far as "competitiveness" realistically none is less competitive than another - their admissions statistics page on the website illustrates this faulty reasoning with an example. Beyond, the entire point of the pooling system is to ensure students who are "Cambridge" material but who applied to a popular college can still be considered - by the "less popular" colleges or otherwise.

Just pick the one you want to study at the most.
Reply 3
Apparently on their website they do not hold any real requirement of it, and if so there statement clearly indicates that my BTEC level 2 in performing arts at distinction is easily acceptable without other subjects including English and Maths, seeing as I prove myself according to my level 3 qualification, in which I am on the quest to get a distinction on.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements
Original post by Efron
Apparently on their website they do not hold any real requirement of it, and if so there statement clearly indicates that my BTEC level 2 in performing arts at distinction is easily acceptable without other subjects including English and Maths, seeing as I prove myself according to my level 3 qualification, in which I am on the quest to get a distinction on.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements

It may be worth noting beyond the university's requirements, many employers (quite possibly including many law firms) require GCSE English/Maths at grade C or equivalent in line with government literacy/numeracy targets. Thus, you should plan to achieve these realistically regardless. However as they are government targets, there are schemes for adults to get these qualifications without cost (or little cost - I'm not totally sure) from most local further education providers. You may want to look into these - however you may be able to do so while one your degree, although it might be more advisable to do it now.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
It may be worth noting beyond the university's requirements, many employers (quite possibly including many law firms) require GCSE English/Maths at grade C or equivalent in line with government literacy/numeracy targets. Thus, you should plan to achieve these realistically regardless. However as they are government targets, there are schemes for adults to get these qualifications without cost (or little cost - I'm not totally sure) from most local further education providers. You may want to look into these - however you may be able to do so while one your degree, although it might be more advisable to do it now.

Yeah thanks for the advice, barristers are self employed anyway and don't work for anyone. But I think I may just sit the exams next may/June.
Original post by Efron
Yeah thanks for the advice, barristers are self employed anyway and don't work for anyone. But I think I may just sit the exams next may/June.

This is not really true. You a) still need to complete the BPTC, which may require those grades, b) receive a pupillage, which may also require those grades, and c) after being admitted to the bar, unless you have oodles of money sitting around, join an established barristers set - which may, once again, require those grades. You don't just get a degree from Oxbridge and start charging people £500 an hour.

Seeing that virtually everyone else applying to those things will have the grades, and there are fewer BPTC/pupillage spots than applicants, all not taking them does is give them a really easy reason to screen your application.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
This is not really true. You a) still need to complete the BPTC, which may require those grades, b) receive a pupillage, which may also require those grades, and c) after being admitted to the bar, unless you have oodles of money sitting around, join an established barristers set - which may, once again, require those grades. You don't just get a degree from Oxbridge and start charging people £500 an hour.

Seeing that virtually everyone else applying to those things will have the grades, and there are fewer BPTC/pupillage spots than applicants, all not taking them does is give them a really easy reason to screen your application.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'll do it in may/June.
But I doubt anyones gonna say where's your English and math GCSE when you have a degree in law. Nevertheless getting them as you say isn't very difficult.
Reply 8

Oh yeah, and Barristers dont charge by the hour, solicitors do that.
Reply 9

But may I say that it is rather interesting that the university of Westminster stress a lot that you need GCSE maths and English at grade C for any subject they offer, and they they said I need to have it otherwise it is unlikely they'd consider me.

And there we have Oxford and Cambridge not even mentioning it and when you ask them directly they say we do not need specific grades or subjects required for GCSE.
Original post by Efron
But may I say that it is rather interesting that the university of Westminster stress a lot that you need GCSE maths and English at grade C for any subject they offer, and they they said I need to have it otherwise it is unlikely they'd consider me.

And there we have Oxford and Cambridge not even mentioning it and when you ask them directly they say we do not need specific grades or subjects required for GCSE.

This is largely due to the fact the vast majority of students will have taken and excelled in the subjects. Oxford does not require A-level Maths for PPE, for example, but 95% of successful applicants have taken AS or A-level Maths and/or Further Maths. Achieving the minimum entry criteria is a necessary but not sufficient requirement to be accepted to Oxford or Cambridge - in any subject.
Reply 11
This is largely due to the fact the vast majority of students will have taken and excelled in the subjects. Oxford does not require A-level Maths for PPE, for example, but 95% of successful applicants have taken AS or A-level Maths and/or Further Maths. Achieving the minimum entry criteria is a necessary but not sufficient requirement to be accepted to Oxford or Cambridge - in any subject.

So in your humble opinion would you say for something like law or philosophy, If I make an application to Cambridge with a BTEC Level 2 in performing arts at distinction which is an equivalent to 4 A* in GCSE and an Access course in law with all my units at distinction, could I still be considered for an interview.
Reply 12
Original post by Efron
Oh yeah, and Barristers dont charge by the hour, solicitors do that.

"How will I be charged?

A barrister should discuss the way you will be charged, and if it is not clear you should ask for more information. There are a number of ways a barrister can charge for their services:

Fixed fee- this is when a barrister considers how much work they will have to do for you and how much this will cost. The barrister then gives you an overall amount that you will need to pay for the work they are doing.

Hourly rate- this is when a barrister will have a set rate they charge for each hour of work they do for you. They will then keep track of how many hours of work they have done for you, and this will be the final cost.

Conditional fee arrangement- this is when how much you need to pay will depend on whether you win your case. For example, the agreement may be that if you do not win, you do not have to pay the barrister, or you may have to pay a smaller fixed amount and only need to pay the rest if you win."

https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/using-a-barrister/how-do-i-pay-a-barrister/

e.g. http://www.outertemple.com/help-and-support/legal-enquiries/would-i-pay-an-hourly-rate-for-a-barrister/
Reply 13
Original post by Efron
So in your humble opinion would you say for something like law or philosophy, If I make an application to Cambridge with a BTEC Level 2 in performing arts at distinction which is an equivalent to 4 A* in GCSE and an Access course in law with all my units at distinction, could I still be considered for an interview.

They interview 75-80% of applicants, so yes you will be considered for interview, as would any applicant.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oxford is
Reply 15
Original post by Doonesbury
They interview 75-80% of applicants, so yes you will be considered for interview, as would any applicants.

Do you think my grades are sufficient though, from your experience in applications?
Reply 16
Original post by Efron
Do you think my grades are sufficient though, from your experience in applications?

No.
Reply 17
No.

In short why?
Reply 18
Original post by Efron
In short why?

In short, because I don't think you would have a strong enough application overall for Oxbridge.

The very fact you are asking "What's the least competitive college in Cambridge for law" shows you haven't done your research, and that you are looking for an easy way in. Cambridge is wise to both those issues...
Reply 19
In short, because I don't think you would have a strong enough application overall for Oxbridge.

The very fact you are asking "What's the least competitive college in Cambridge for law" shows you haven't done your research, and that you are looking for an easy way in. Cambridge is wise to both those issues...

Are your talking about my application in terms of grades in which I have scored, if so how can I get any lower than this.

Or are you talking about me as a person from my questions on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending