The Student Room Group

history or geography or both GCSE?

im in year 9 and am going to pick my gcse options. i want to pick both geography and history but everyone is telling me not to do it and that it will be hard please help

Scroll to see replies

Geography is an easy A. History is hard and requires a lot of time and work. Don’t stress unless you want to be a lawyer.
Reply 2
Original post by drovosek
Geography is an easy A. History is hard and requires a lot of time and work. Don’t stress unless you want to be a lawyer.

haha the thing is i want to be a lawyer aswell😂
Original post by May :)
im in year 9 and am going to pick my gcse options. i want to pick both geography and history but everyone is telling me not to do it and that it will be hard please help

I'm also in this situation, if you choose one make sure it's history. If you enjoy both, go for both. That's what I'm doing. I want to be a primary school teacher or a human rights lawyer btw. Having both would be good but whatever's right for you.
Good luck😀
Purple monkeys x
then take history
Reply 5

i took both(& thinking of becoming a lawyer!). dont take both cos it'll stress u out especially cos of the new spec.
Reply 6
Original post by Purplemonkeys
I'm also in this situation, if you choose one make sure it's history. If you enjoy both, go for both. That's what I'm doing. I want to be a primary school teacher or a human rights lawyer btw. Having both would be good but whatever's right for you.
Good luck😀
Purple monkeys x

thank you i think i would enjoy both but i feel like i will be too stressed out and i would have a massive revision load
I would personally say don't do both. I do both, as they are both humanities subjects, they are similar in terms of the type of work but I personally feel it is a lot to memorise. However, it isn't the worst. If you do subjects you like, you are probably going to do a lot better than doing subjects that you don't like and that is important.
Geography: You'll have to know quite a bit about processes such as coastal processes and river formations which I personally find quite difficult, but there is also a really interesting side (at least on my spec) of social geography in case studies such as Nigeria
History: A lot to remember, loner questions than Geography but depending on the topics you are doing, it is interesting and enlightening, however I would say some parts will be boring but would be great to help become a lawyer
Hope this helps :smile:
thank you i think i would enjoy both but i feel like i will be too stressed out and i would have a massive revision load

What else are you planning on taking?
haha the thing is i want to be a lawyer aswell😂

loooool. Geography is not easy, 99% of the people I know (smart people too) are failing it or not getting very good grades. The new specfication is a joke.
Geography is boring and requires a lot of understanding and key words like science, History is a lot of content but it's a lot more interesting, it can also be easy if you genuienely like learning history and can memorise it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jennifugh
I would personally say don't do both. I do both, as they are both humanities subjects, they are similar in terms of the type of work but I personally feel it is a lot to memorise. However, it isn't the worst. If you do subjects you like, you are probably going to do a lot better than doing subjects that you don't like and that is important.
Geography: You'll have to know quite a bit about processes such as coastal processes and river formations which I personally find quite difficult, but there is also a really interesting side (at least on my spec) of social geography in case studies such as Nigeria
History: A lot to remember, loner questions than Geography but depending on the topics you are doing, it is interesting and enlightening, however I would say some parts will be boring but would be great to help become a lawyer
Hope this helps :smile:

thank you so much you don’t realise how much that helped me and all of my close freinds are telling me not to do it that’s why i feel quite confused
Both are considered ‘strong’ and ‘facilitating’ subjects, if you want to become a Lawyer then definitely go for History. It takes a lot of hard work and there is a lot of content to learn but if you keep up-to-date with the work then there’s no reason why you wouldn’t pass! 😊Geography is a subject which is easier, it’s considered a strong subject so might be worth taking to strengthen your qualifications, but I would consider other subjects first they may be more relevant to your aspiring job such as Law or Sociology if they offer them at GCSE. All the best! 😊
Reply 13

Hi, May. Don't let others influence what you want to do for GCSEs. Personally, I did History GCSE only but it's not rare for someone to do both History and Geography GCSE because there's many people who will do both. In terms of workload and the difficulty of the subject, it shouldn't be too bad (I did the old spec) but should you need help just post in the Study Help section and someone will reply. :smile:

it will be hard but go for it if you want:smile:
All I'm gonna say is don't do both as some people are saying.
It actually depends on how complacent you are as a person
Reply 16
Original post by Billy.Lewis16
Both are considered ‘strong’ and ‘facilitating’ subjects, if you want to become a Lawyer then definitely go for History. It takes a lot of hard work and there is a lot of content to learn but if you keep up-to-date with the work then there’s no reason why you wouldn’t pass! 😊Geography is a subject which is easier, it’s considered a strong subject so might be worth taking to strengthen your qualifications, but I would consider other subjects first they may be more relevant to your aspiring job such as Law or Sociology if they offer them at GCSE. All the best! 😊

thank you so much and i have four options to pick and i am picking geog and history for 2 of them
Do both! The workload really isn't as much as people exaggerate in my opinion and I did triple science and a language alongside as options. But only do both if you're interested/good at both.
I loved Geography, would definitely recommend it! The two courses arentthat similar so if u want to do both, do both!
Reply 19

im going to take turkish, geog,history, and art

Quick Reply

Latest