The Student Room Group

The 2018 GCSE Options/Preferences Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minicouper
Okay, so a bit of background info about me:

I’ve always loved English. From a very young age I knew that English was the career path I wanted to follow. Since I started my school year (9) this September, I’ve started to grow to really enjoy science and it has become something that I am extremely interested in.

I’m choosing my options this year, and I’m looking to pick Triple Science, because honestly I’m starting love the subject and English is becoming less interesting to me. My parents tell me that I should peruse a career in English, the subject that I always used to love. They also say that Triple Science is very sudden but honestly, it’s become my favorite subject and something that I definetly want to study moving forward.

Shall I go for it? Or not?

Aren’t you taking English anyway?
Even if you take triple science you should definitely still have the option to do English at a-level if you change your mind:wink:
If you really are coming to love science then I’d take triple science; it’s definitely interesting and if you like it you’ll probably do better in it.
Out of curiosity, which other GCSEs are you taking?:smile:
Original post by clouddbubbles
what are your plans for the future?
i think that’s the only other thing to consider,
because if you enjoy them and excel in them
there is nothing to worry about!

I’d love to pursue a career in either Politics or digital marketing. I was initially going to take ICT, but I was advised against this by my teachers as I’m more academic. I imagine History will be useful to lead into A Level Gov & Politics though, and a language should be useful if I apply for university in the future. Music is just for enjoyment :-)
hi everyone!! i'm currently in yr 11 and i cannot stress how much i agree with OP's advice!! i stressed out so much in yr 9 on my options and looking back, i'm glad i did, because i love what i'm studying! i currently take triple science, geography and spanish and i sat japanese last year, so if anyone wants advice on studying languages or triple science then feel free to ask!
Original post by Toastiekid
I’m doing the exact same courses right now (year 11) so let me know if you’ve got any questions! I’d say they’re a great mix as if you’ve got them all for double periods on the same day it’s nice but I’m a biased source:biggrin:

Great! I’m really pleased to hear you’re enjoying them :-) What exam board(s) do your school use for these subjects? I’m presuming all of mine will be WJEC. I’m grade 2 singing however, I’m currently singing grade 5 material and probably working at around grade 3 guitar, but I’ve never taken exams with my guitar. Do you think this would be suitable for music? My music teacher has been encouraging me to take music and says I’m more than capable but I know very little staffnotation; do you think this could adversely affect what grade I can achieve as I don’t want anything less than a B (I’m a bit of a perfectionist!!) How difficult are French and History? I’m getting NC Level 8As in History and I’m predicted to get an E.P (exceptional performance) in my next assessment but I worry I’ll crumble in the exam as I hate pressure and I can’t write that fast. I am improving though; do you think it will just take practise and mocks to get me used to it? In French, I’m working at around a 7a, which is pretty good but my pronunciation isn’t the best and the teaching staff (apart from one member, who I’ve requested I have) are quite poor. I just don’t want not having a language to impact upon what universities I can go to, if I do decide to go to uni. So sorry for the overload of questions!
Original post by Toastiekid
Aren’t you taking English anyway?
Even if you take triple science you should definitely still have the option to do English at a-level if you change your mind:wink:
If you really are coming to love science then I’d take triple science; it’s definitely interesting and if you like it you’ll probably do better in it.
Out of curiosity, which other GCSEs are you taking?:smile:

English Language is compulsory, but I have been selected along with 8 people to take on Literature as well as Language. I don’t think I’ll take the GCSE as I have other demanding ones and honestly, it would take a weight off everything I have to do. My teachers are begging me, my parents are begging me, but Literature seems the most boring thing in the world to me now. The GCSEs I want to take up are: (* for compulsory)

English Lang* 1 GCSE
Mathematics* 1 GCSE
Combined Science* 2 GCSEs
Spanish* 1 GCSE
History 1 GCSE
Drama 1 GCSE
Triple Science (more content added, 10 lessons a week) Combined 2 +1 more GCSE

(I will not have to give up a GCSE for Literature, it just gets counted in as well)
(edited 6 years ago)
Okay, so a bit of background info about me:

I’ve always loved English. From a very young age I knew that English was the career path I wanted to follow. Since I started my school year (9) this September, I’ve started to grow to really enjoy science and it has become something that I am extremely interested in.

I’m choosing my options this year, and I’m looking to pick Triple Science, because honestly I’m starting love the subject and English is becoming less interesting to me. My parents tell me that I should peruse a career in English, the subject that I always used to love. They also say that Triple Science is very sudden but honestly, it’s become my favorite subject and something that I definetly want to study moving forward.

Shall I go for it? Or not?

absolutely go for the science!
Original post by Xchloem03X
I’d love to pursue a career in either Politics or digital marketing. I was initially going to take ICT, but I was advised against this by my teachers as I’m more academic. I imagine History will be useful to lead into A Level Gov & Politics though, and a language should be useful if I apply for university in the future. Music is just for enjoyment :-)

then those subjects are perfect! :smile:
Original post by mikela
hi everyone!! i'm currently in yr 11 and i cannot stress how much i agree with OP's advice!! i stressed out so much in yr 9 on my options and looking back, i'm glad i did, because i love what i'm studying! i currently take triple science, geography and spanish and i sat japanese last year, so if anyone wants advice on studying languages or triple science then feel free to ask!

:thumbsup:
Original post by Xchloem03X
Great! I’m really pleased to hear you’re enjoying them :-) What exam board(s) do your school use for these subjects? I’m presuming all of mine will be WJEC. I’m grade 2 singing however, I’m currently singing grade 5 material and probably working at around grade 3 guitar, but I’ve never taken exams with my guitar. Do you think this would be suitable for music? My music teacher has been encouraging me to take music and says I’m more than capable but I know very little staffnotation; do you think this could adversely affect what grade I can achieve as I don’t want anything less than a B (I’m a bit of a perfectionist!!) How difficult are French and History? I’m getting NC Level 8As in History and I’m predicted to get an E.P (exceptional performance) in my next assessment but I worry I’ll crumble in the exam as I hate pressure and I can’t write that fast. I am improving though; do you think it will just take practise and mocks to get me used to it? In French, I’m working at around a 7a, which is pretty good but my pronunciation isn’t the best and the teaching staff (apart from one member, who I’ve requested I have) are quite poor. I just don’t want not having a language to impact upon what universities I can go to, if I do decide to go to uni. So sorry for the overload of questions!

Not a problem:wink: I'm on edexcel for all of them!
For music:
Practical part you should definitely get the top mark if you practice. If I about wjec but with edexcel if you play a higher graded piece to the same standard as a lower graded one then you get more marks. So honestly either voice or guitar would be fine.
The composition and appraising bits I really wouldn't worry about, you're given a lot of support with this and there are lots of online resources too. I wouldn't worry about not knowing the staff notation, it's relatively simple to get your head round. Do you read from a score for guitar?

For history:
You're in a great position with those levels, clearly you can analyse sources and structure work well. I don't find history particularly difficult, it's similar to history before gcse but it's more exam focused. There is an awful lot of content now but it's interesting. At some point, you'll have sat so many English and history mocks that writing fast under pressure will come naturally! (A sad sad day!). So, yes mocks will help you improve!

For French:
I guess remember you've got a few years to go. When I was in year nine I'd clam up speaking French but after doing a French exchange and visiting France, my confidence has increased so much! You could also teach yourself most of the vocab using quizlet or memrise which would really just leave grammar to do. (Also most of the stuff learnt just builds on things learnt in the younger years). With small bits of work in years 10/11 as you go along, I've found it weirdly chilled:biggrin:

Sorry this took a while, I hope it helps. Anymore questions, ask away:smile:
Thank you so much for your detailed reply! That’s SO helpful and I finally feel a lot more confident that I’ve made the right decisions. No, unfortunately I read tablature for guitar but I do know a little staffnotation (albeit not a lot) from singing exams; I suppose as you said I still have another 2 years until the final exams so I can always work hard at learning it between now and then :-) It’s also a relief to hear that I’ll be supported with composition; thankfully the head of music at my school is amazing and I know he’d help me if I was unsure of something, even if I do have another member of staff teaching me. Thank you for the names of the resources I could use for French; I’ll definitely be using those & hopefully I may get the opportunity to visit France! 🤞🏻 I also clam up when speaking French at the moment; so it’s very encouraging to hear you were able to conquer that! I can’t wait for the sad day when I can write under pressure naturally, believe it or not 😂😂 It’s been stressing me out so it’s a relief to hear I’ll get used to it!
Original post by mikela

Hi Mikela! I am currently contemplating whether or not to do Triple Science, as you’ve probably noticed throughout the thread. What’s the best piece of advice you can give on the course and whether or not to choose it?
Hi Mikela! I am currently contemplating whether or not to do Triple Science, as you’ve probably noticed throughout the thread. What’s the best piece of advice you can give on the course and whether or not to choose it?

hi dear, i do apologise for the late reply x here is the points you should consider:

- am i willing to put in extra hours for sciences?
- do i want to pursue a science career?
- am i passionate about the subject?
- can i handle the workload?
- will i enjoy it?

funnily, i used to HATE english, but because of gcses i have gained a passion for it! i personally enjoy the course and the texts we are studying, so maybe that could revive your passion. with regards to the sciences, some of my classmates actually lost their passion for the sciences throughout the course, but many have already pathed their way to a science based career! taking triple means that you are surrounded by so many people with the same passion as you: science! though what you study in uni mostly relies on a levels, some 6th forms will not offer you a science a level if you do not do triple, so bear that in mind.

if you do take it, stay on top of the course! do pre lesson learning (it really is worth it!), and never be afraid to ask questions! do exam questions, and don't fall behind!

triple science has been hard work, but a fulfilling course. i've enjoyed every single second (except for physics, i loathed every single minute), and if you have anoy more questions, feel free to ask!
Hi my son is due to pick his options at end of the month.why are they called options now?when he can really only pick 2 subjects, he has been told a language is compulsory, he must do all 3 separate sciences So he has math, English, French, biology, chemistry, physics. he has to choose either history or geography leaving 1 other not much of an option really! he doesn't want to do French or biology he wants to do RE which also give him a 2nd GCSE at end and computer science a GCSE also
Original post by northwestvillan
Hi my son is due to pick his options at end of the month.why are they called options now?when he can really only pick 2 subjects, he has been told a language is compulsory, he must do all 3 separate sciences So he has math, English, French, biology, chemistry, physics. he has to choose either history or geography leaving 1 other not much of an option really! he doesn't want to do French or biology he wants to do RE which also give him a 2nd GCSE at end and computer science a GCSE also

He has to do biology it’s a compulsory subject like maths and english. And his school makes him take maths English science language and geography/history due to being able to receive the EBACC. Not many schools do loads of ‘options’ your son would be doing 8 subjects, that is what most schools do. Although i do 13 aha.
Hey Year 8’s and 9’s,
You’ve probably clicked on this if you’re still conflicted about...
WHAT TO CHOOSE FOR YOUR GCSES
so, hello, I’m here to help!

I’m in Year 10, and picked my options last year.
I KNOW HOW IT FEELS.
I decided to create this thread, and I’m fully aware that the student room is full of mostly university students and a level students so I don’t know if it will be of any use at all, but if any of you are not sure what to take this thread’s here for you!

If you’re just looking for a bit of advice, here are my 5 top tips...

Spoiler

If you’re considering a subject that you haven’t done before such as media, business studies or health and social care, try to do your research! Find out the exam board you’ll be on for that course and take a look at what it’s all about. From that, you should hopefully have some idea of if the subject will suit you.

Still stuck?
That’s what this thread is for!
Ask whatever questions you like, and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of people who can help you out :biggrin:

Just want to discuss your options?
Let us know what you’re planning on taking! :yep:

(and hopefully this thread won’t be dead. That would be awkward! Keeping my fingers crossed!)

SubjectTo help you make the decision, we've put together a series of threads which answer some of the most common questions you might like to consider before taking the course.

In each thread there is information about the GCSE and A level syllabus (including for core subjects), and if you have any other questions then you can ask on the thread :smile:

More guides will be added as they are made :smile:

Can you add Pe And Art please.....
Original post by Matt24b
Can you add Pe And Art please.....

sorry unfortunately i didn’t add them, one of the support team did - they’re the people who make them!

pe and art should be added soon though :crossedf:

are you looking for revision advice or what the courses entail? i might be able to help :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
sorry unfortunately i didn’t add them, one of the support team did - they’re the people who make them!

pe and art should be added soon though :crossedf:

are you looking for revision advice or what the courses entail? i might be able to help :smile:

What the courses entail more than anything?
Original post by Matt24b
What the courses entail more than anything?

do you know what exam boards your school uses?
do you know what exam boards your school uses?

Pe is ocr
I’m not sure about art but most things at my school are aqa
Original post by Matt24b
Pe is ocr
I’m not sure about art but most things at my school are aqa

okkk
i do edexcel pe, but having looked into ocr...
it’s almost exactly the same as mine except you don’t have the coursework?!
theory obviously makes up a huge part of it but if you enjoy applied biology then it’s really fun :smile:
component 1 is like biology - anatomy, physiology and how you train
component 2 is more psychology - what influences participation on sport (personally i find this kinda interesting), sports psychology, being healthy and well etc.

the other 40% is your practical, so, you gotta be alright at sport :dontknow:
you choose one individual, one team, and one from either.
so in my example i’m choosing skiing (individual), swimming (individual) and netball (team)
for your ocr course you have to analyse and evaluate your performance which is a bit like my coursework :smile:

happy to answer more specific questions!

i won’t be so specific about art but essentially you’re given a ‘theme’ which you work on. i don’t do art but many of my friends do, it seems like an amazing gcse to take if you’re creative but it IS stressful and time consuming so definitely important to consider that - but if you love art then absolutely go for it!

hope that helps?!
Original post by maths567
Currently my gcse options are
Maths
English lit and Lang
Triple science
HPQ
German
Geography
Economics
History/Latin
I am not sure whether I should choose history or Latin as I’m quite good at both if them- on course to get level 8 (old national curriculum levels) in history. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It depends what you enjoy most.... given you already have a Language (German) and a humanities subject (geography) you’d be fine with either

Quick Reply

Latest